BBO Discussion Forums: Leave them in 1C? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leave them in 1C?

Poll: Leave them in 1C? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Reopen?

1. Pass (23 votes [48.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.94%

2. X (22 votes [46.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

3. 1N (1 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

4. Other (1 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-20, 11:18

The opps play 5542 openings (though would it make a diff to you if they played 5533?).

IMP pairs.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-20, 12:26

Balancing X seems 100% obvious

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-June-20, 14:27

View PostTylerE, on 2016-June-20, 12:26, said:

Balancing X seems 100% obvious

But you have at least one club trick.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-20, 15:31

In any modern overcall style opposite a passed hand that I know of, partner has denied a pulse. Fast pass.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-June-20, 17:51

View PostJinksy, on 2016-June-20, 11:18, said:

The opps play 5542 openings (though would it make a diff to you if they played 5533?).IMP pairs.
A close guess. I rank
  • Double = T/O. Risky but "it's a bidder's game" and passing out a low-level part-score is rarely a winning pairs tactic. Be prepared to apologise if opponents wake up and bid game/slam.
  • Pass = Sensible and safe. Most of your points are in s. If partner has a good hand, then he has s and opponents are quite likely to have a better contract.
  • 1N = Balancing. Not bad in theory but prospects are bleak if LHO doubles.

#6 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-20, 22:37

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-June-20, 15:31, said:

In any modern overcall style opposite a passed hand that I know of, partner has denied a pulse. Fast pass.

+1

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 00:02

I passed. A lot of modern styles have only one strong bid (2C) and a lot of good players are rightly reluctant to use that opener on awkward hands, trusting (usually with justification) that if partner does not keep the bidding alive then the opponents will. Well, not me.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   mathboy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-21, 01:09

View Postfoobar, on 2016-June-20, 22:37, said:

+1

+2

#9 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 01:48

Depends somewhat on oppo. But playing against random BBO pairs I would pass as they could well be playing in a silly contract. On the other hand, partnering certain players that I have kibbed I would double, as they seem to need a big hand before they consider over calling.

#10 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-June-21, 02:09

PASS without a blink.Why allow them to find a better contract? This hand contains KQ in club .Replace them with xx and put those KQ in spades and then it suddenly becomes a reasonable take out double.A remote possibility not mentioned is perhaps they play limited 1 level openings.A second possibility is RHO misclicked or made a trap pass in a losing session prompting you to bid something.

#11 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-June-21, 03:11

my gut reaction was wtp x but now not so sure.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#12 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2016-June-21, 03:28

View Postmathboy, on 2016-June-21, 01:09, said:

+2

+3

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 03:36

It seems unlikely that we can make game and defending 1c might well be our best chance of plus. It may depend on their response structure. If the pass suggest clubs then I want to double.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 06:58

I voted pass.

Anything is possible, but here is what happened the other day. I opened 1C, passed out, +110. Had my rho doubled, I was going to bid 1NT on my 18 count. In theory, 1NT can be held to +90, but there were quite a few 120s and some 150s. They have a heart fit and maybe they will find it after the double. Suppose they do. We can go on to 3C for our +110. If they go on to 3H we can double and beat it 2. So with all going right on their part, namely having a heart fit, finding their heart fit, and passing out 3C instead of bidding on, they break even with the double. Ok, their best would be to let me play 1NT and hold it to +90 my way if pard doesn't take me back to clubs, but I don't think anyone did that.

Of course passing can go wrong, but it can also go right. My point is that when fourth hand is looking at not much, and the bidding has gone 1C-P-P, it is pretty likely that a double by fourth hand will be followed by 1NT by opener. Whether this will be a good thing or a bad thing is not always clear. In the hand I played, they had a 4-4 heart fit so if my lho bids 2H over my NT they will be on safe ground (down 1 if allowed to play there). But, as here, the doubler had three spades and four hearts. Doubler will be less thrilled if it continues X-1NT-2S instead of X-1NT-2H. Nor will he like the result if 1NT is passed out and outscores 1C.

Anyway, I pass with these hands. Could be wrong, sure.
Ken

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-21, 12:35

Good problem

Reasons for doubling

- both majors
- short clubs
- white / white

Reasons to pass

- slight risk of pushing them into a better 1N contract

- defending 1C may be more profitable than +80 or +110

- horrible ODR

It's very close and may come down to my perceived style of the opponents.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-June-21, 13:10

View Postfoobar, on 2016-June-20, 22:37, said:

+1

View Postmathboy, on 2016-June-21, 01:09, said:

+2

View Postfourdad, on 2016-June-21, 03:28, said:

+3

Gosh, none of you could give the guy an actual + ?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-21, 15:06

Seems most likely opening hand has 18-19 and that leaves probably around 8-11 for partner in a balanced hand. We have probably a little less than half the deck and no good source of tricks and no reason to think anyone is likely to make much of anything on this hand. I think pass is quite reasonable.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#18 User is offline   notproven 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-21, 15:58

Pass.

With that shape and 9 points I'd usually X. Big but...that doubleton KQ is so unappealing. This hand might play for only one trick.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 21:44

View PostVampyr, on 2016-June-21, 13:10, said:

Gosh, none of you could give the guy an actual + ?

+50000

Wellsaid!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-22, 10:36

I would pass. The key is that partner is a passed hand. If RHO were the dealer, then it's a different auction (partner could have quite a good hand, but no good bid).

In IMPs, X might win as often as it loses, but when it wins, it will win 4-5 IMPs (by pushing the opponents to a contract they can't make), whereas when it loses, it may lose big (responder could come out of the bushes with a long spade suit for a making 4s, or partner could get excited, go to the 3 level, and go for a phone number). When faced with these sorts of coin flip situations at IMPs, choose the action that is less likely to result in disaster.

In MPs, it's the frequency of gain that matters, but here, there is an extra way to lose that you don't really have at IMPs. As before, X could push the opponents to a contract they can't make. It could also help us find a making contract, although the hand is so poor offensively that seems unlikely. As at IMPs, X might result in our going down against nothing or pushing the opponents into a makeable game. But now there is an additional danger. Clubs may well not be the opponents' best strain. They may be far better in NT or spades from a scoring standpoint. X gives them the chance to find a higher-scoring spot.

I like to bid, but not this time.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users