• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My view on Brexit

#61 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-25, 06:14

View Postmike777, on 2016-June-24, 20:24, said:

Wow so those who voted to leave are racists with sheep mentality.

Absolutely not. Not everyone that voted leave is racist but racism was very much at the heart of the Leave campaign. And sheep mentality is prevalent in all votes of this type. It is part of the process - is someone following a racist themselves racist? Clearly not. On the other hand, if you can see that the person you are following is racist and choose to sympathise with their logic that is a form of racism. And I am absolutely confident that this happened an awful lot during this referendum campaign.
(-: Zel :-)

#62 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-25, 07:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-25, 06:14, said:

Absolutely not. Not everyone that voted leave is racist but racism was very much at the heart of the Leave campaign. And sheep mentality is prevalent in all votes of this type. It is part of the process - is someone following a racist themselves racist? Clearly not. On the other hand, if you can see that the person you are following is racist and choose to sympathise with their logic that is a form of racism. And I am absolutely confident that this happened an awful lot during this referendum campaign.

David Cameron was called a racist on 20th April in Parliament. If anyone chose to sympathise with Cameron's logic about Sadiq Khan, presumably that makes them racist as well. Dave has form, his 'Bunch of migrants' comment in January and his breaking of sanctions against South Africa in 1989 come to mind.

#63 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-25, 10:56

OK , Brits said bye.

I hoped EU think deep about it , learn and reform itself in the right direction.

This hope is a vain hope. Today Berlin and Paris announced, they are going to build a closer political union. Are they crazy? This is, what Brits did not want, what people in all over Europe don't want, because it means still more power to Brussels, Germany and France.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#64 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-June-25, 11:19

well I voted remain - I hope these idiots that voted leave are happy when we have 30 years of tory rule without anyone applying the breaks. going to be hell for anyone outside the elite.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#65 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-25, 12:03

View Posteagles123, on 2016-June-25, 11:19, said:

I hope these idiots that voted leave are happy when we have 30 years of tory rule without anyone applying the breaks.

Not that one group of shysters is much better than the other, in my view, but Labour does not have a good track record of applying brakes. Some people have short memories. Or are too young to remember.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#66 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-June-25, 14:49

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-June-25, 12:03, said:

Not that one group of shysters is much better than the other, in my view, but Labour does not have a good track record of applying brakes. Some people have short memories. Or are two young to remember.

Yes, in this regard the true failure was with the referendum on electoral reform. FPTP often leads to a two-party systems and two-party systems are often terrible.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#67 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-25, 14:58

View Posteagles123, on 2016-June-25, 11:19, said:

I hope these idiots that voted leave are happy when we have 30 years of tory rule without anyone applying the breaks. going to be hell for anyone outside the elite.

That's as maybe, but is there any evidence that rogue employers such as Sports Direct have been held in check by the EU ?
Zero hours contracts adversely affect many low paid workers. What is the EU's position and has it had any effect ?

#68 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-26, 05:58

Sheep mentality applies equally to both sides.

#69 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-26, 06:06

View Postcherdano, on 2016-June-25, 03:48, said:

How did UK pensioners lose from globalisation?

We don't and didn't. In a sense we benefit, as our non-state pensions tend to be funded by investments in global firms. Pensioners who voted out (the majority, if you still believe pollsters) are being hurt less by the EU than the working man and woman, but that does not prevent them seeing how the common market has deteriorated into invidious central authoritarian control, which is not only getting worse, but more expensive. The impact of the imported population explosion affects everyone, though.

#70 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-June-26, 08:12

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-June-26, 05:58, said:

Sheep mentality applies equally to both sides.

Indeed, if anything I would expect sheep to (a) follow the status quo and (b) kowtow to their political "guardians", and in this case both were aligned.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#71 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-26, 08:23

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-June-26, 08:12, said:

Indeed, if anything I would expect sheep to (a) follow the status quo and (b) kowtow to their political "guardians", and in this case both were aligned.

© follow the advice of the tabloid press.

But yes, of course sheep mentality is everywhere. And it would be unreasonable to expect otherwise. Should we all study political science until we are able to form an independent, informed opinion? Some of us have other things to do. So we will end up going by gut feelings or by advice from people we trust.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#72 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-26, 09:37

When I read the news about Brexit I start to get rather nervous about November in the USA.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#73 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-June-27, 08:16

View PostPhil, on 2016-June-26, 09:37, said:

When I read the news about Brexit I start to get rather nervous about November in the USA.

Yeah, it's like we now live on Bizarro World, where practically anything can happen.

This weekend's "This American Life" had a segment with the 538.com analyst who last year predicted that Trump had no chance, based on a "likability" poll -- in the past, no one with a low likability had ever gone on to become the nominee. But when he made his famous "I'm going to build a wall" speech, his number flipped from -35 to +17.

#74 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-June-28, 17:10

The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users