• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why clubs not diamonds?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-19, 01:22

MP, Instant, 35

If South has 4 card Club support he must also have 4 Diamonds.

If South lacks 4 card Club support he may yet have 4 Diamonds.

Whatever, South will have at least as many Diamonds as Clubs, and quite possibly more.

North does not have the 6th Heart promised for the Heart rebid, but neither is he embarrassed for an alternative.

So he/I got lucky and land in a 9 carder. Hats off to those who raised to 5C after the same start.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 14:51

It's easier than that. If S had only 3 D, must be 4-4 in the majors. S has not only denied 4 , but has denied 3 (no support double). Why N could never manage to support D is anyone's guess. I would call it a bug.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-22, 21:11

View Postiandayre, on 2016-June-21, 14:51, said:

It's easier than that. If S had only 3 D, must be 4-4 in the majors. S has not only denied 4 , but has denied 3 (no support double). Why N could never manage to support D is anyone's guess. I would call it a bug.

I may have to research this, but I think Support Doubles only apply in situations where you could have supported at the 2 level but chose to support double instead. I wonder how strong GIB thinks South would have to be to support over 2.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-23, 03:58

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-June-22, 21:11, said:

View Postiandayre, on 2016-June-21, 14:51, said:

I may have to research this, but I think Support Doubles only apply in situations where you could have supported at the 2 level but chose to support double instead. I wonder how strong GIB thinks South would have to be to support over 2.

I don't want to see both of you in times of trouble, I would try to research this hand so as to find the reasons on this issue.

- Hand-1 It normally goes :

This hand shows Gibs have good ability to handle with two suited hand if only there is a interference at 1-level.

- Hand-2 if there is a interference at two level, it is very difficult for Gibs to do next because Gib CC has limited the next bidding including its next range.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here I can tell you the exact Gib CC for East after 2 :

double=3+,1-,17-21hcp,biddable ,22-TPs.

3=4+,4+,3-,21-hcp,17-22TPs

3=opener rebid --- 6+,3-,17-22tps,

3=3+,4+,15-18TPs,

3=3+,21-hcp,20-22TPs.

3nt=11-21hcp,solid 7-card ,12-22tps,stop in

4=splinter raise

5=4+,11-21hcp,biddable ,3-card ,12-22tps

5=11-21hcp,biddable,12-22tps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The conclusion
1- Basic Gibs are better in many hands.
2- In fact, generally speaking, Gib CC are very good.
3- If we can change the definition on East rebid-3, it is very easy for Gibs to resolve this issue. So the definition of rebid-3 is not good.(Here I can't said more, otherwise Stephen Tu will say my nonsense. The bridge game should be happy.)

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 10:48

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-June-22, 21:11, said:

Once again I misread a suit signal. Thought the overcall was 2C. Support doubles would not have applied. This doesn't change the fact that North's 4C bid is from another planet.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users