BBO Discussion Forums: ASign the blame, missing game - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ASign the blame, missing game

Poll: ASign the blame, missing game (17 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. Mosty West (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Mostly East (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. Only the system is to blame (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-17, 13:57

In our system/style, a 2 raise on first round shows (6)7-10, this hand clearly doesn't qualify.

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-June-17, 14:31

Advancer, obviously.

When God gives you a 3D call...

I mean, what else can 3D mean here other than a game try with an undisclused fit?

I did not votr because of the "mostly." 100% Advancer, not "mostly."

If you thinking that 3D shows 8 diamonds, a void in hearts, two spades, and 3 clubs, just stop it.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-17, 14:45

I would say mostly system though West has very good cards for a pass. East is blameless since he can't know of the 9cd heart fit or the solid spades.
I suppose an initial cue bid by West must be outside this range and low frequency. Over the double perhaps West should bid 3M with a bust and 3 with game interest in a major.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-June-17, 15:03

I think I would take 3 as natural, but not sure.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-17, 16:15

I think you need to rethink the system when one hand cannot bid and there is a 9-card fit. I don't really see the point in not being able to raise the 1H overcall.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-17, 17:06

Gonzalo, you know me for a long time here and my views. I am huge believer of support with support and I believe W had a 2 bid. I am not saying that it is clear but I definitely would bid 2 by W hand.

I mean I see W has very soft values, I agree with this. So some people would have raised if W had better values. But honestly, good values, bad values kind of thinking with a 3334 hand and a simple raise is way too much analysing. What will matter the most is the other hand. I like support with support because pd's hand can turn into a giant against a fit and is not worth a damn thing without it.

EDIT: Just saw the system requirement for 2. I think he could bid 3 over the DBL as well. His hand is now improved by a lot. He has an undisclosed fit Qxx + xxxx + QJx in the side suit of pd. Pd sees the vulnerability too and should have a decent hand to bid like this. I don't think E doubled with a light hand just because he is short in clubs at these colors.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-June-17, 17:25

I blame system. If PD cannot scrape up a raise with this he needs to be able to cue 3 in response to your X.

#8 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-June-17, 17:27

I think pass instead of 2H is correct - usually this type of hand feels a bit too weak - although showing support is good.

Over X i have quite more so 3D seems spot on

#9 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-17, 19:08

50% each to E and W for playing this system, and a further 50% to West for not bidding 2 anyway.

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-June-17, 19:15

View PostFluffy, on 2016-June-17, 15:03, said:

I think I would take 3 as natural, but not sure.

On that hand, play the awful 3H contract. That way, you have a much more useful invite available.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-June-18, 00:28

I'm in the support with support camp, so would raise to 2 with the West hand.

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-18, 02:01

Tough hand
I abhor people raising with such rubbish.
In my experience this leads to over-competing much of the time and sometimes opponents will double you on power.
East will bid again with much less suitable hands and almost always incur a minus score
I also do not think 3 would be anything but natural. What else is West supposed to bid with 3-1-6-3 and a weak hand.
I would not blame anyone missing this game, but East might bid 4 since he needs very little for game.
It is not as risky as it sounds and it does not pay to assume partner is completely broke and it Looks like West meager values are outside of clubs.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-18, 02:28

If 3 is natural, I would bid 4 in preference to three. P's come in with an unfavourable double at the three level - surely this shows possible game interest? Meanwhile, our crappy 6/40 count seems to have improved to a crappy 6/30 count. How much better a hand can we have for our initial pass?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-June-18, 07:30

View Postrhm, on 2016-June-18, 02:01, said:

What else is West supposed to bid with 3-1-6-3 and a weak hand.

Rainer Herrmann

Really? You are giving up any ability to make game tries in the majors to avoid the discomfort of choosing between two tolerable major contracts with a call into a suit that could be facing a void in a rare, unfortunate situation?

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-18, 08:10

The 2 bid may be forcing but even 1 level overcalls are not cheesy at this vul.

2 stands out to me on a now or never basis. I don't know of anyone that has an agreement that 3 instead of 3 shows a soft shapeless hand that should have raised hearts earlier and east cannot be sure of the heart fit or ANY cover cards in the actual auction. Indeed south may have been ready to smash 3.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-June-18, 08:11

If 3D is definitely some sort of "I can't bid game myself but don't want to make a weakish 3H bid", then 3D is clearcut.

If 3D could be taken as natural, then it's awkward. The west hand has clearly improved, but it can't bid game by itself.

#17 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-June-18, 08:56

View PostFluffy, on 2016-June-17, 13:57, said:

In our system/style, a 2 raise on first round shows (6)7-10, this hand clearly doesn't qualify.

Both at fault for this agreement. Agreement probably okay for uncontested auction.
Partly you guys were unlucky that QJx was worth two tricks. Can't be known during the auction.

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-June-18, 14:03

3d might be choice of strain with 42 majors or it could be natural. It doesn't show this hand.
The system is to blame though. Once opps have shown half the deck we stop counting points.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-June-18, 18:30

Those who want 3D to be natural want to bid 2H earlier. 3D as a game try is contextually needed, IMO, because the raises are sound. If you play sound raises, you need this 3D. If you raise lught, 3D as natural makes more sense.

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-June-18, 20:09

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-June-18, 18:30, said:

Those who want 3D to be natural want to bid 2H earlier. 3D as a game try is contextually needed, IMO, because the raises are sound. If you play sound raises, you need this 3D. If you raise light, 3D as natural makes more sense.

Agreed 100%

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users