• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law 25a w/o pause for thought

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-16, 07:19

Law 25a

Declarer opens 1NT, LHO passes, declarer's partner bids 2, his LHO doubles (quickly), Declarer announces (slowly) "transfer to hearts." Declarers partner says "oops sorry, I've pulled out the wrong card I meant to pull out 2" (transfer to spades).

Does the 'without pause for thought'time period start;

1. After offender bids?
2. After his LHO calls (dbl)?
3. After he is woken up by declarer's announcement?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-16, 07:49

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-17, 04:40

You read too much in 'pause', but 'thought' is the essential element here. Not the moment when nor the manner in which the player discovers his or her unintended call are decisive, but it should be without thought. How you're supposed to find out whether there was a thought, the lawmakers leave to the TD, probably because they don't know how to do that, either. Usually you should be absolutely certain that the call never was considered or that it was a mechanical error. In this case it looks rather probable that the latter is the case, unless the partner has 5+ cards in both majors.
Anyway, I would prefer a change of law 25 which prohibits any change of call of unless caused by something accidental, like the cards sticking together, a mispull of a card adjacent to the right one or a insufficient knowledge of the language when bidding verbally.
Joost

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-24, 13:06

I had one of these in Penticton (actually a different TD did, but I got asked to rat out my colleague. Funny how that rarely works out...)

I was asked to explain what "in the same breath" meant. I said that I didn't know, but that it didn't matter, because that phrase hadn't been in the Laws since 1975. It's now "pause for thought" and that "thought" is the important term; "even going from not thinking to thinking is a change of mind".

He wasn't happy, but he was educated.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-June-26, 04:04

Have we considered the possible UI implications from Declarers (slow) 'transfer to hearts'. That suggests this could be making the wrong call, but intending to make it and correction should not be allowed.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-26, 05:23

View Postweejonnie, on 2016-June-26, 04:04, said:

Have we considered the possible UI implications from Declarers (slow) 'transfer to hearts'. That suggests this could be making the wrong call, but intending to make it and correction should not be allowed.

no.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users