• You cannot reply to this topic

6S scores extra IMPs, UI, England

#21 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-January-24, 17:48

I think the key thing is:

Does the slow 6 demonstrably suggest 6 over pass? Note that South knows that North would be going to 6 had the response been 5, which I assume is 1 Ace, and so can infer the 3 controls that North actually has.

The TD thought so. presumably the AC didn't.

(South has a source of tricks that North does not know about - that is worth more than the facile 'spades > clubs')
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#22 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-07, 16:52

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-January-23, 10:56, said:

May I ask who N-S were and who was sitting on the AC?

You may ask, but forum rules prevent me (or anyone else) from being able to answer!

#23 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-07, 17:03

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-January-24, 17:48, said:

Note that South knows that North would be going to 6 had the response been 5, which I assume is 1 Ace, and so can infer the 3 controls that North actually has.

Not necessarily. From South's point of view, North could have a strong hand with 3-card spade support which was intending to stop in 5 opposite one key card. Or she could have made the (not unreasonable) assumption that her partner would normally hold at least 2 key cards for his jump to 4 and wanted to find whether he held a third key card for grand slam purposes. Or, if they were playing "1430" responses to RKCB then she could in fact stop in 5 opposite one key card.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users