Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is showing 6 worth a level?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-11, 00:07

Playing Both Minors Forcing and assuming an 1N rebid promises heart tolerance....

1X-1H, 1N-2C, 2D-
.....2H=GI 5H
.....3H=GI 6H

Is it worth getting to the 3-level to show the 6th heart? Why when you can correct 3N to 4H anyway? But many play this way.

Also, if your system could discern 5 vs 6 hearts and stay at the 2-level, would it be very worthwhile? Or help the opponents know when to balance?

#2 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-June-11, 03:42

If you are playing weak jump shift or inv jump shift you can diffrentate between 5 and 6 and stay at level 2.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-11, 07:10

View Postphoenix214, on 2016-June-11, 03:42, said:

If you are playing weak jump shift or inv jump shift you can diffrentate between 5 and 6 and stay at level 2.

FYI
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-June-11, 07:10

dbl post
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-11, 07:29

View Postphoenix214, on 2016-June-11, 03:42, said:

Thanks, but not my question. We're using 1X-2H for something else.

#6 User is offline   Hyperon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-11, 07:30

View Poststraube, on 2016-June-11, 00:07, said:

Is it worth getting to the 3-level to show the 6th heart? Why when you can correct 3N to 4H anyway? But many play this way.

A sixth heart means a loser less in 4 or a winner more in 3NT, so it is "more invitational" than 2. It's always good to inform partner about his degree of support (a 6-3 fit is so much better than a 5-3). Perhaps he can count 9 tricks suddenly and bid 3NT with a combined 23 HCP.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-June-11, 10:43

Straube, what would be a direct 3 over 1 NT?

If you are going through 2 for gf auctions, this is also an invitation depending on quality. Or is it reserved for something else?

#8 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-11, 18:23

View PostMrAce, on 2016-June-11, 10:43, said:

Straube, what would be a direct 3 over 1 NT?

If you are going through 2 for gf auctions, this is also an invitation depending on quality. Or is it reserved for something else?

Our rebids after 1X-1H, 1N

2C-requires 2D for pass or invite
2D-promises 5 hearts, used now for COG or slam auctions
2H-sign off
2S-GF relay, asks opener to pattern out
2N-GI
3C-to play
3D-6H, spade short, slamming
3H-6H, diamond short, slamming
3S-6H, club short, slamming

What we could easily do is use 2D for sign offs as well as patterning out and COG. This would leave the 2H rebid for GI 6H. 2C-2D, 2H would be GI 5H.

I think I'd like that, but maybe too much information to the opponents.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users