BBO Discussion Forums: How do you go about this tactfully - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you go about this tactfully Not allowed to use the C word

#21 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-12, 12:40

View Postpigpenz, on 2016-June-12, 12:14, said:

Now days with all the tech we have there is no reason to not have an ACBL recorder site where forms can be turned in and maybe a database that can be assessed by District, National, and Unit recorders. At the club level I don't know, a lot of people who think they are good have terrible agreements or lack of them. Most people at the club level don't really care. I often ask people why this or that occurred and no one can ever remember the hands even with handrecords.

There is an online recorder form now.

https://web3.acbl.org/player-memo

I read about this on the Bridgewinners site. I'm not sure if there is a link to this from the main ACBL site.

Is this hooked up to a database? or does it just generate a PDF file that gets emailed to somebody? Given the state of the ACBL IT department, it's not clear to me what they are doing.

#22 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-12, 17:17

View Postjohnu, on 2016-June-12, 12:40, said:

There is an online recorder form now.

https://web3.acbl.org/player-memo

I read about this on the Bridgewinners site. I'm not sure if there is a link to this from the main ACBL site.

Is this hooked up to a database? or does it just generate a PDF file that gets emailed to somebody? Given the state of the ACBL IT department, it's not clear to me what they are doing.

Looks like it should be hooked up to a database of somekind, but def. looks like its for Regionals, Nationals, or Sectionals.....club games I don't know.

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-12, 19:37

View Postpigpenz, on 2016-June-12, 17:17, said:

Looks like it should be hooked up to a database of somekind, but def. looks like its for Regionals, Nationals, or Sectionals.....club games I don't know.

It should be, it could be, but we don't know if it is.

There is nothing about player memos in the "clubs" tab that I can see. Under the "tournaments" tab this link leads to the form, but there's no obvious clue as to what happens when you hit the "submit" button. And yes, it looks like it's intended for tournaments only. I looked at the code, but if there's a clue there, I don't see it.

This form's predecessor let you edit the pdf online, but then you had to save it to your desktop and email it to the recorder.

It looks like any form submitted via the website goes directly to the ACBL recorder, which kind of cuts district and unit recorders out of the loop, unless there's a database to which they have access and a notification to the appropriate recorder that there's a new memo for him to look at.

Looking at the information directed at clubs, it appears there is no mechanism for submitting a player memo for something that happens at a club. It may be that ACBL have set things up so nobody except the club has jurisdiction over matters that might result in a player memo. In which case it devolves on the club to invent a mechanism for such memos (or copy some of the ACBL's procedures).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users