• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding hand twice

#1 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-05, 17:45

http://tinyurl.com/jfpd7g4

Yes, I heard about your diamonds when you bid 2D.
You dont have to bid 4H now. Your hand is garbage.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-05, 18:42

View Postgoffster, on 2016-June-05, 17:45, said:

http://tinyurl.com/jfpd7g4

Yes, I heard about your diamonds when you bid 2D.
You dont have to bid 4H now. Your hand is garbage.

After the rescue redouble, I don't see why GIB N has to bid at all. Maybe West has diamonds.

As for the 4 bid, you need to check the meaning of bids if you don't know what they mean. The description of 3 is cut off, but you can see that it probably says forcing (to game? to 3NT? 1 round?) You made a forcing bid, and GIB N is acknowledging that you made a forcing bid.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-05, 22:54

View Postjohnu, on 2016-June-05, 18:42, said:

After the rescue redouble, I don't see why GIB N has to bid at all. Maybe West has diamonds.

As for the 4 bid, you need to check the meaning of bids if you don't know what they mean. The description of 3 is cut off, but you can see that it probably says forcing (to game? to 3NT? 1 round?) You made a forcing bid, and GIB N is acknowledging that you made a forcing bid.

I think its trying to say it has a bad hand by bidding 2 despite the information-free bid description- that would a normal bid and thus you should take that in account and bid 2.

#4 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-07, 08:14

Yes, you are correct, 3H says forcing to game.
I guess that is a pretty bad agreement.

When robot bids 2D, and I "correct" to 2H, that is not invitational.

So..............
There is no way at all to invite game, and that is a terrible agreement to have.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 10:38

With all the issues GIB's bidding has, it helps to have the extra information provided when playing in tournaments, that no hand has more HCP than yours. I would have had no problem bidding 2H knowing my partner had no more than 11, and strength opposite my singleton.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-08, 22:10

View Postiandayre, on 2016-June-07, 10:38, said:

With all the issues GIB's bidding has, it helps to have the extra information provided when playing in tournaments, that no hand has more HCP than yours. I would have had no problem bidding 2H knowing my partner had no more than 11, and strength opposite my singleton.

Since there are two humans at the table, this was not a human-best-hand tournament. Note that East certainly has more HCP than South.

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-09, 09:53

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-June-08, 22:10, said:

Since there are two humans at the table, this was not a human-best-hand tournament. Note that East certainly has more HCP than South.

I didn't suggest otherwise. Just expressing my personal preference. I do not and would not play with GIB against human opponents.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-11, 10:13

View Postiandayre, on 2016-June-09, 09:53, said:

I didn't suggest otherwise. Just expressing my personal preference. I do not and would not play with GIB against human opponents.

Ohhhh... you were stating that in a different environment, you could take advantage of the questionably-authorized information of limitations on partner's hand. Got it. No, that was not an invitation to debate the authorized-ness of best-hand conditions, just a semi-snarky admission that I misunderstood your prior post B-)

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-11, 16:05

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-June-11, 10:13, said:

Ohhhh... you were stating that in a different environment, you could take advantage of the questionably-authorized information of limitations on partner's hand. Got it. No, that was not an invitation to debate the authorized-ness of best-hand conditions, just a semi-snarky admission that I misunderstood your prior post B-)

I am not trying to be difficult BB. If I were asked my opinion of whether "human best hand" is a sound tournament format, I would say no. I have expressed that opinion in the past, suggesting that an improvement would be "no opponent better hand". I would not support normal random dealing since it would drive me nuts having to defend with non-signaling GIB on half the hands.

However since in the ACBL tourneys, the playing field is level - everyone is playing "human best hand" - I have no ethical compunctions against using that information.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users