Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what's going on?

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-03, 21:26

i was playing with quite a well known player who had this hand. i managed to totally confuse him with my bidding. what do you think i've got and what do you?

your defence to a strong club X = hearts, 1D = spades, 1H = 2 suits of a colour, 1S = majors or minors, 1NT = diamonds and spades or clubs and hearts.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-03, 22:45

The only thing that makes sense is partner has a hand too good to overcall so this is an easy 4S call.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-June-04, 03:04

I don't think that does make sense - East has opened a strong club and we've got a 9 count ourselves. Maybe East psyched his opening but I didn't think psyching an artifical opening was allowed.

I would imagine this is some kind of fit bid and we have a pretty good hand so i'd go for game
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-June-04, 03:55

Spades with club tolerance looks like the obvious meaning - something like id raise you in clubs, but showing my spades on the way type of a hand.

#5 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 04:38

Most likely 4s, club fit, game try. Probably would accept.

Or it could be a psyche.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 05:15

Best guess is:

AKTx...xxx...xx....ATxx

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 07:41

I echo the spade club fit but I am worried about 4s.. in addition to spades and clubs p surely has some hearts which leaves little room for diamonds. Even though it is one level higher
I think 5c is the safest contract and who knows maybe some greedy east with Ax AKxxx AKxx xx will x with those tram tickets :))))))))))

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-June-04, 07:56

the more i think about it I wonder is cueing 4h out of the question here?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-04, 08:21

This is a really weird place for partner to psyche.

I thought about Eagles 4H cue too, but other than the heart void I don't think the hand is that spectacular and I do not want to telegraph the diamond lead.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 09:47

What is the point of showing partner control when he preempted,unless you want to play in? In that case,South would'nt pass in the first round.Imo South is a strong hand asking for a control for North to bid 3nt or bid 4C.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-04, 10:32

To me 3 is a hand that wants to bid 4 and wants lead if they end up playing and if pd is on lead. I am never passing this.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-June-05, 10:10

wank, on 2016-June-03, 21:26, said:

i was playing with quite a well known player who had this hand. i managed to totally confuse him with my bidding. what do you think i've got and what do you?
your defence to a strong club X = hearts, 1D = spades, 1H = 2 suits of a colour, 1S = majors or minors, 1NT = diamonds and spades or clubs and hearts.
Wank's defence to 1 seems good. Conceivably, partner is interested in notrump and is showing a stop. However, I agree with everybody that partner is more likely to be showing a fit and something in s. Perhaps a flattish hand like
A K x x J x x x x A x x x.

Now I rank
  • 5 = PRE. Just in case opponents have a fit. KISS.
  • 4 = NAT. You might consider this at MPs. But, given your methods, partner is unlikely to hold 5 s. If he has 4 (or fewer) s then there is a risk of losing trump-control, especially if he lacks A.
  • 4 = NAT. Pusillanimous.
  • 4 = CUE. But... slam is unlikely, partner might not understand, and opponents might double to discover a massive fit
  • Pass = NAT. Unlikely to be right.

#13 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-05, 10:24

this way my hand. 4s is a pretty hot contract (and makes). 5C is a poor contract (but still makes). i think my partner suspected i was being absurd - he shrugged and passed.

#14 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-06, 11:23

wank, on 2016-June-05, 10:24, said:

this way my hand. 4s is a pretty hot contract (and makes). 5C is a poor contract (but still makes). I think my partner suspected i was being absurd - he shrugged and passed.

I strongly suspect p has seen too many of these wistful bids looking for low % miracles and decided to not go down any more than they have to. Bidding 3s here just looks plain wrong the opps have been silenced by 3c and game chances appear to be tiny at best. All 3s is accomplishing most of the time is getting our side to 4c and going down more than anyone else when partner does not have 3s to the J (which they need to make 4s a favorite to make). That is at least the opinion of this particular wanker.

#15 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-06, 17:32

gszes, on 2016-June-06, 11:23, said:

I strongly suspect p has seen too many of these wistful bids looking for low % miracles and decided to not go down any more than they have to. Bidding 3s here just looks plain wrong the opps have been silenced by 3c and game chances appear to be tiny at best. All 3s is accomplishing most of the time is getting our side to 4c and going down more than anyone else when partner does not have 3s to the J (which they need to make 4s a favorite to make). That is at least the opinion of this particular wanker.

A bit harsh.
3 is the normal bid here in case partner is 4xx6.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-06, 17:56

wanoff, on 2016-June-06, 17:32, said:

A bit harsh.
3 is the normal bid here in case partner is 4xx6.

Is it really?

You guys have different understanding of "normal" when one preempts at 3 level with only 6 cards and 4 card side major and his partner bids 4 card 3M at 3 level with only Hx in his partner's preempt suit, red vs white against strong . And it is normal that bid should be spared to find the 4-4 major fit after preempt!!

Although I agree about the "harsh" part. Because George usually is a very calm poster.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 00:24

i did have a 14 count with partial stops in the reds opposite an unfavourable 3 level overcall. 3NT is very much in the picture despite lho having 16+. xx Ax xx KQxxxxx leaves 17 points for RHO and gives us 11 top tricks in no-trumps or clubs.

and the opps have not been pre-empted out of the hand yet. LHO is going to balance whenever he's got some modest values and short clubs. as it was 3h would have made. if you think p's actual hand was rather specific, i'll head to the cherry-picker and leave you to decide what p would lead after 3C p p 3h p 4H p p p with Jxx xx x KQxxxxx, even if clubs and spades break well enough for us to make 4 tricks.

#18 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 02:09

wank, on 2016-June-07, 00:24, said:

i did have a 14 count with partial stops in the reds opposite an unfavourable 3 level overcall. 3NT is very much in the picture despite lho having 16+. xx Ax xx KQxxxxx leaves 17 points for RHO and gives us 11 top tricks in no-trumps or clubs.

and the opps have not been pre-empted out of the hand yet. LHO is going to balance whenever he's got some modest values and short clubs. as it was 3h would have made. if you think p's actual hand was rather specific, i'll head to the cherry-picker and leave you to decide what p would lead after 3C p p 3h p 4H p p p with Jxx xx x KQxxxxx, even if clubs and spades break well enough for us to make 4 tricks.

For an expected bid of 3nt from partner you are to indicate your weakness for his help(stopper),for surely for a preemptive hand he can'nt have allround stoppers.With specific stopper in North's hand chance of making 3nt is very high as East willbe confined in his own hand.

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-June-07, 07:56

eagles123, on 2016-June-04, 03:04, said:

Maybe East psyched his opening but I didn't think psyching an artifical opening was allowed.

Opener didn't specify ACBL, so probably there is no such restriction.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users