• You cannot reply to this topic

2D multi overcalled

#1 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-26, 05:13

If you play 2 multi (weak, 6 card major -- or maybe some strong hands, too),
and opps overcall in a major,
what is the usual/popular meaning of responders Double?

Like: 2 - (2) - X

Is it
(1) Penalty-double. I have good spades behind overcaller.
(2) Asks opener to Pass only if spades is his long suit, otherwise describe his hand.
?

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-26, 05:37

I think standard/best is (1) but many people new to Multi will assume (2). It's a good one to discuss and a bad one to spring on partner.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-26, 05:54

Dutch textbooks (at least those of them I read) recommend (2), but I agree with gwnn that (1) is better.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-26, 07:01

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-May-26, 05:54, said:

Dutch textbooks (at least those of them I read) recommend (2), but I agree with gwnn that (1) is better.

Yeah, I see (2) a lot. Seems pretty poor in a frequency basis!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-26, 07:05

(2) is fairly normal in my experience, with the expectation that if partner has the other major I would like to compete to at least the three level. Not sure why it's so bad - it can be hard to compete effectively in partner's major without it.

#6 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2016-May-26, 07:43

IMO it depends on how often you open multi on a 5 card suit..the frequency goes up a lot when 5 card suits are included. Even with 5 card suits, option 2 is still most likely better. If you only ever open on a 6 card suit, then yea..option #1 no doubt. You are sitting behind the overcall with the strong hand and want to be able to finish the work your partner's preempt has done.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#7 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-26, 08:38

To me, the advantage of playing (2) is you never have much of a problem what to bid.
In the sit above, the worst thing that can happen is, when you are loaded with spades, you may have to let them play 2 undoubled, rather than doubled.

Playing (1), the scary downside is, when you are short in Spades and have 3, 4, 5, or even 6 hearts, and competitive or game-going hand if partner has hearts.
You probably bid and hope that opener has hearts -- but sometimes it turns out that opener also has Spades, and you risk a disastrous result.

So I can understand why text-books recommend (2)...

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-26, 09:32

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-May-26, 05:13, said:

If you play 2 multi (weak, 6 card major -- or maybe some strong hands, too),and opps overcall in a major, what is the usual/popular meaning of responders Double?
Like: 2 - (2) - X
(1) Penalty-double. I have good spades behind overcaller.
(2) Asks opener to Pass only if spades is his long suit, otherwise describe his hand.
IMO Pass/Correct i.e. T/O is best -- which is consistent with our methods over Michaels e.g.
(1) 2! (3) Double = P/C (In case RHO overcalled in a suit of partner's).

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-27, 03:06

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-26, 05:37, said:

I think standard/best is (1) but many people new to Multi will assume (2). It's a good one to discuss and a bad one to spring on partner.

I think standard is (2) but many new to Multi will assume (1) as they are used to any double after a preempt being penalty. Double is typically what you do with a hand that would raise hearts if the auction had started 2 - (2).
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-27, 03:45

Ok interesting. You mean "in case 2, double is typically what you do..." I think there was a thread about this and most good players seemed to favour (1). I don't think it makes sense to reserve double just for the off chance the overcall is in partner's suit. I'm totally fine just assuming that the two majors are different and penalizing opps when I have good spades and a good hand.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-27, 04:49

Here's a hand from a national teams competition a few years ago:

If you play double as penalty, you have no good course of action. You want to compete if partner has spades but stay out if not. If you play double as pass/correct, you have an easy way to compete.

Or you could take the action my teammate took, which comes with a warning label for anyone faint of heart:

Spoiler

It was only one hand, with a couple of - shall we say - questionable decisions. But the second agreement would have avoided the entire fiasco.

#12 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2016-May-27, 05:09

My experience is that (1) is not playable if you often open 2 with a 5 card major. My partner has caught opponents in 2X a number of times. :P
Dunno which is better if you play a sound 2

#13 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-27, 11:16

Another interesting question is what is 2?
I play it as strong with shortage in
If the 2 is natural, then it seems logical to play double as pass or correct and 2N as lebensohl

#14 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-27, 15:52

View Postsfi, on 2016-May-27, 04:49, said:

Here's a hand from a national teams competition a few years ago:

If you play double as penalty, you have no good course of action. You want to compete if partner has spades but stay out if not. If you play double as pass/correct, you have an easy way to compete.

Or you could take the action my teammate took, which comes with a warning label for anyone faint of heart:

Spoiler

It was only one hand, with a couple of - shall we say - questionable decisions. But the second agreement would have avoided the entire fiasco.

Seems like an obvious pass. We can always bid 4S later, and if 2H does end up being the final contract, then they are likely either in a silly contract or making game.
Wayne Somerville

#15 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-28, 05:52

View Postnekthen, on 2016-May-27, 11:16, said:

Another interesting question is what is 2?
I play it as strong with shortage in

Seems complicated.... what do you then bid when you have a normal 2 or 2 overcall?

The standard defence against 2 Multi when you have a hand suited for take-out Double of either Hearts or Spades
is that you first PASS, and then make a take-out Double on the next round, if opener shows your short suit.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-28, 18:37

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-May-28, 05:52, said:

The standard defence against 2 Multi

...depends on where you come from. The traditional standard in the UK is Dixon, in which 2M shows a takeout of the other major. The traditional standard in the US is/was for 2 to be a takeout of hearts. Arguably the best defence includes a double that looks rather a lot like the Multi 2 itself and such methods are also popular in some circles. I know it is difficult not to think of what you personally know as being standard somehow but the world is a big place and things do tend to vary from place to place and from one level of play to another.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users