Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced carding agreement

#1 User is offline   Hyperon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-May-22, 20:31

You open a weak 2 in hearts with the North hand. The opps get to 4 and partner leads 8. A low heart is played from dummy and your queen holds the trick. Declarer -erroneously- put 2, so you know that partner has a singleton. Since this is the last time you will be on lead, you decide to cash A, with partner discarding something. You have two tricks so far and it seems that you should act quickly to collect two more tricks before declarer can
(a) pitch minor losers in hand on dummy's hearts
(b) pitch minor losers in dummy on a solid minor in hand.

Basically you have two options here:
(i) You continue hearts. This might set up a spade winner for partner when he has for example Q97. As declarer is aware of this trump promotion, he is likely to throw a minor loser if that can save him. For this tactic to work it seems that you need partner to have either minor ace in combination with a 'trump promotable' spade holding. Another win is a lay-out like this, where declarer no longer would have two heart discards:

(ii) You switch to a minor suit. This would work when partner has the minor king and declarer does not have tempo to get his losers pitched. A possible lay-out:

Having considered all this, it follows that partner should give us a hint with his discard as how to proceed. Is anyone familiar with some 'expert standard' in this rather specific situation? Would you follow your regular suit asking method or switch to something like: high in a suit = lead hearts/low in a suit = lead that suit?

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-22, 21:30

I normally just play suit preference here. So here, it would be high card=lead hearts and low card= lead other suit.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-22, 23:12

Advanced carding???

Play an encouraging card in diamonds to get a diamond lead
Play an encouraging card in clubs to get a club lead
Play the clearest discouraging card in clubs or diamonds to get a heart continuation

#4 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-23, 02:19

Yeah, this isn't even CLOSE to being Advanced, let alone Expert. You play Suit Preference.

What I do disagree with is what signal means what. An encouraging card obviously means lead the suit. A discouraging card only denies the suit, and strongly implies the other non-trump suit (in this case the other minor). A middle card is lead a Heart or a trump (seeing dummy's trump suit, clearly trump is NOT correct!)

The reason I say this is because if you play UDCA, there's no way to show an encouraging Diamonds, as the 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all accounted for. Also, while it's possible that the 3rd round of Hearts is best, I believe it's the least likely signal to be given of the three.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#5 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-23, 03:20

I agree with Johnu - this seems pretty basic. I don't have faith that either I or my partner can reliably read a middle card, and there seems to be no need for it here. The number of situations where I want to encourage for a specific suit but can't afford a card in that suit has to be pretty small.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-23, 03:24

It may just be that a better example of the problem could be devised, but it is far from clear to me that it is right to cash the Heart Ace at trick 2.

Yes it is right, *if* a third heart is the best defence. The trouble with that is that if a third heart is *not* best defence then a lot of the time neither will be the second heart. Your Ace of Hearts is not going away anywhere, and in all likelihood declarer will be flushing out your Ace pronto, at which point you are in broadly the same position (without the option of a Heart upper cut of course), but by which time you will already have had an opportunity to attack one of the minors. Which one is a guess, of course, but if you guess wrong then you can guess again when in with the Ace.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Hyperon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-May-23, 08:50

View Postjohnu, on 2016-May-22, 23:12, said:

Advanced carding???

Play an encouraging card in diamonds to get a diamond lead
Play an encouraging card in clubs to get a club lead
Play the clearest discouraging card in clubs or diamonds to get a heart continuation

I know it sounds that easy. We play o/e discards normally and just switched to ud in this case because it looks more readable.

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-23, 03:24, said:

It may just be that a better example of the problem could be devised, but it is far from clear to me that it is right to cash the Heart Ace at trick 2.

At the table the last diagram actually occured, in which you have to cash A or declarer's heart disappears on Q. I don't consider it as clear, but it just happened.

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-24, 03:38

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-23, 03:24, said:

The trouble with that is that if a third heart is *not* best defence then a lot of the time neither will be the second heart.

True, but my judgement tells me that killing one of those heart winners is the winning defense more often than not.
In defense you often have to judge probabilities relying on your judgement and your experience.
Constructing counter examples proves nothing. It is not possible to get the defense right in all circumstances.

Back to the question raised and the defense problem:

Partner is marked with a minor suit at least 5 cards in length.
He will very often have no choice but to discard from his length for Bridge logic reasons.

It is dangerous to discuss carding agreements based on such a specific example, because carding agreements must apply to many very different scenarios
An advanced signalling agreement would be the following:

Agree in cases where partner discards from a suit known to be five cards or longer as follows:

A small spot card: lead the lower ranking side suit (clubs here)
A high spot card: lead higher ranking side suit (diamonds here)

A middle card can have a number of meanings depending on circumstances:

1) No preference. The correct switch might depend for example what leader can contribute in the side suits.
2) You want a continuation of the current suit, in this case hearts.
3) you want a switch to trumps.

While this sounds complicated, leader almost always can figure out which option applies to the middle card, as long as he is aware of all the options.
In this case it will be 2) or the defense does not matter.

Rainer Herrmann

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-25, 00:31

On my notes it says:

Encourage obvious shift: Play this suit, no promotion
Discourage obvious shift: Sure promotion
Encourage possible shift: Play this suit, no promotion
Discourage possible shift: Possible promotion.

A possible promotion on this situation would be 108x

I would take diamonds as the obvious shift here.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-25, 08:46

View PostFluffy, on 2016-May-25, 00:31, said:

On my notes it says:

Encourage obvious shift: Play this suit, no promotion
Discourage obvious shift: Sure promotion
Encourage possible shift: Play this suit, no promotion
Discourage possible shift: Possible promotion.

This is likely very good, but not everyone has read the book.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users