• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rebid

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-05, 18:38

1 showing less than 10 generation gone long time ago I thought.

But this hand is not strong for fit jump if not a textbook example. So I am with Cyber there and would use it if agreed. Unless of course you are playing it preemptive like Wank does. Anyway, I think 3 is clear now.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-06, 06:34

The consensus seems to be 3C and I agree. Partner surely has four or more clubs: Even in an indy I expect he would double to show three card support if he had it, or else bid 2H on three if he doesn't think support doubles are on. So he has at most six major suit cards, therefore at least seven minor suit cards, and he should not be opening 1C if he has four diamonds and three clubs. So he has four, or more, clubs. He can trust that I know this, so he will not play me for five clubs on this call. Note: Playing indy, or pickup, or whatever, I assume that partner is neither a genius nor an idiot, and I hope he assumes the same about me. And I assume partner would have shown three card heart support if it existed. These assumptions are sometimes wrong but I think the game goes best if we so assume.

This is a very good hand for my 3C bid, so my only worry is that it is not sufficiently encouraging. If it goes wrong, I suspect that failing to go on is how it goes wrong. In which case I accept the blame. But I don't see any other good alternative. I have no interest in defending 1SX, and I think 2S overstates my values and and underdescribes my shape. If partner, over my 3C, bids 3H I will assume he has something like Kx and extras, and I will raise to 4. If instead he bids 3D I will assume he has five clubs and a little extra, so i will raise to 5C. If he bids 3NT I will leave him there. If he passes and takes eleven tricks, i will refrain from asking him why he passed.

All in all, I think 3C is not perfect but the best choice.

Further note: I think Goren played that all hands of 10 points or more started with a redouble. I can be an old-fashioned guy but that is overdoing it. This hand shows why. Suppose you redouble and 1S is passed back to you. You no longer have any idea of partner's heart holding. It could be 1 or 4. And since you know nothing of his heart length, you cannot infer he has four clubs. Anything you do is a guess. I think it is very safe to say that the vast majority of players now treat 1H here as a forcing (If the next call over 1H is a pass) and natural call.The strength is unlimited.
Ken

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users