• You cannot reply to this topic

Show ends here split from "Don't open 4441 with 12-13"

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-21, 04:59

I actually reread the thread in passing. It seems like the hostility started with PhilG, not by the others, and you're not right that the others immediately started the derision right from the opening post. I don't think I even need to invoke any history to understand what happened. The first few replies were completely amicable, only then did it turn to challenges and why we are on the forums (to educate or to be educated). Somewhere after PhilG realized that there were people who don't accept a 1995 book as gospel he became very hostile and took everything personally. He wasn't particularly reacting to anything. Zel's line in his post that Mikeh called him (007) a beginner is maybe misguided but most of it was again amicable. To see this whole exchange as PhilG "reacting" to anything is quite false.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-May-21, 05:01

Yes it is not difficult to see that the bullfight began when Phil started asking about a challenge as in a 70's action film.
      George Carlin

#23 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-21, 07:02

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-21, 04:59, said:

I actually reread the thread in passing. It seems like the hostility started with PhilG, not by the others, and you're not right that the others immediately started the derision right from the opening post. I don't think I even need to invoke any history to understand what happened. The first few replies were completely amicable, only then did it turn to challenges and why we are on the forums (to educate or to be educated). Somewhere after PhilG realized that there were people who don't accept a 1995 book as gospel he became very hostile and took everything personally. He wasn't particularly reacting to anything. Zel's line in his post that Mikeh called him (007) a beginner is maybe misguided but most of it was again amicable. To see this whole exchange as PhilG "reacting" to anything is quite false.

This was exactly my perception too. I felt this time PhilG was given a fair chance. He was not provoked and he refused to read any argument + the aggressive replies way over the line. He can't just poop off topic aphorisms from last century all over the forums and expect us to tolerate it, sorry.

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-21, 07:11

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-21, 04:59, said:

Zel's line in his post that Mikeh called him (007) a beginner is maybe misguided but most of it was again amicable.

I made a decision that the situation was bad for BBF and needed to be resolved one way or the other, either with an act of contrition that would allow him to be accepted back into the BBF community or as things have gone. Therefore I was harder and more demanding of him recently than I usually am. I was probably mistaken in avoiding this with previous posters (32519, Lurpoa, etc) and like to think I am still capable of learning from my mistakes. :P

The truth is that BBFers reacted first to Phil taking an attitude that came across as above his obvious level and he in turn made increasingly misguided "put downs" in response. At some point, that dynamic moved over to something that was fairly poisonous to the forums and that often looked like trolling and/or baiting. This is hardly something unusual for BBF, we often have posters here that misjudge their own level and are unable to adapt to the response that provokes. It would be nice if we came up with a magic formula to bring such posters back to the community rather than having them feel alienated. I have tried a few times to enable that but sadly it seems as if it is a losing battle. If anyone else has any ideas, perhaps we as a community would be able to try it and become more welcoming of newcomers, even those that come across poorly with their initial posts.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 07:23

I don't know why you drag Lovera into this. His/her main problem is a grasp of English that is so poor that it is physically impossible to understand what is being written. Which is unfortunate but no crime. But God knows I would sound the same if I tried to post in another language. That and something of an obsession with Blackwood and its responses. But again, I can live with a narrow focus. Well, maybe it is a crime if you have been able to interpret what has been written, where it has defeated me.

As for PhilG, pretty much the only occasion when he has spouted a bridge opinion that has any merit is when, at the start of this thread, he quoted a maxim that had been first published by someone else of minor reputation. And being the opening post in the thread there was little risk of the quote being out of context. But that did not stop him presenting every opinion as authoritative while for the most part being quite wrong.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#26 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-May-21, 07:51

View Postrhm, on 2016-May-21, 04:49, said:

I meant disabuse.

Now that we're in the water cooler, I guess I can ask: if you really did mean "disabuse him precociously", the sentence is incomplete. Disabuse is always followed by "of X" as far as I know. What were people trying to disabuse him of? And why was this effort "precocious"?
      George Carlin

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-21, 08:09

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-21, 07:23, said:

I don't know why you drag Lovera into this.

Sorry, I meant Lurpoa. I'll edit...
(-: Zel :-)

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-21, 08:20

I have no particular opinion about the decision to ban PhilG from posting for awhile, but I do not think that it should have been made public.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-21, 08:23

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-21, 08:20, said:

I have no particular opinion about the decision to ban PhilG from posting for awhile, but I do not think that it should have been made public.

Yes, I should have found a way to handle it more discreetly. But his replies had gotten so aggressive that it seemed right to make a public statement about how that kind of behaviour is not allowed.

#30 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 08:35

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-21, 07:51, said:

Now that we're in the water cooler, I guess I can ask: if you really did mean "disabuse him precociously", the sentence is incomplete. Disabuse is always followed by "of X" as far as I know. What were people trying to disabuse him of? And why was this effort "precocious"?

Noting the global character of this community and recognizing that many posters and readers have an incomplete knowledge of English, I would move to implement a policy that encourages the use of benign and uncomplicated terminology and discourages the construction of complex multi-clause sentences.

Sorry, I mean:

Yo! We're from all over the planet. Let's keep the language simple, dudes!

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#31 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-May-21, 09:04

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-May-21, 08:35, said:

Noting the global character of this community and recognizing that many posters and readers have an incomplete knowledge of English, I would move to implement a policy that encourages the use of benign and uncomplicated terminology and discourages the construction of complex multi-clause sentences.

Why? You think we're all so long in the tooth we can't improve our English any longer? :P
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#32 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 12:05

FWIW, one of my regular teammates (Gunnar Hallberg) generally passes with 4441 and 12-13 points in first and second set.

The results have been mixed ...

#33 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 23:22

View PostPhilKing, on 2016-May-21, 12:05, said:

FWIW, one of my regular teammates (Gunnar Hallberg) generally passes with 4441 and 12-13 points in first and second set.

The results have been mixed ...

why...for example do you know and agree with this approach?

2) does he always pass with short spades or other?

#34 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-22, 06:48

Ouch!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :) :) :)

This is my first visit to 'the cooler' and I was only led here by the moderation notice. One or two thoughts spring to mind; forgive me if this is a bit of a ramble....

I'm not bothered about the hows and whys on bidding a certain type of hand. I know full well my limited knowledge, most of which is drawn from my early days of playing nearly 50 years ago - and Bridge has changed immeasurably in the intervening years - whilst my ability hasn't.

What bothers me is how worked up some people can get! Is it pointless to ask folks, "chill out"?

It's a timeless adage that there are two or three weaknesses that people will never admit to. One is, being a bad driver. No-one ever 'fesses up "I'm a bad driver". Second is, being a bad parent. Ditto. Third is - no, I'll leave the third to your imagination! B-) B-) ;) ;)

So is there a fourth? Is it impossible to state "I'm a poor Bridge player"?

Well, speaking for myself, I don't claim to be any more than mediocre. Indeed, the +0.66 (month-on-month) IMPs average that I seem to have notched up, here on BBO, is quite a pleasant surprise (and no doubt largely down to luck). I've no doubt I'll be back 'in the red' before long, once I start up again after a 2-weeks holiday.

See you guys!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users