Show ends here split from "Don't open 4441 with 12-13"

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-20, 08:15

Mod note: this thread is split from http://www.bridgebas...2-or-13-points/

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-20, 05:12, said:

Is that a challenge???? You've got it Bud The gauntlet has been thrown down Accept?!

What is the point in loudly announcing challenges when anyone points out your flaws when a) you continue to get beaten in almost every one of them, b) you quietly slink off after each defeat, and c) the one match you proudly announce the result of, by a staggering coincidence is the one one you didn't lose? (congratulations on your resounding draw, btw)

If you just want to prove your 'courage', either play for money or take up boxing. If you want to give us a sense of your bridge playing ability, post all your results, and show some humility when they don't paint you as the strongest player in the village.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2016-May-21, 07:48
Reason for edit: Explain how thread was created

The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-20, 08:40

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-20, 06:35, said:

I'm too long in the tooth and set in my ways to be "educated"
And I personally don't care about a person's stature.

What a shame that you have given up on learning new things. Apparently your progress as a bridge player has come to a halt. Based on some of the drivel you spout, e.g. "Negative Doubles are the worst convention ever invented," you stopped short of even a beginner's understanding of the game.

Personally, one of the reasons I come here is to learn new ideas, hopefully better ideas, about the game. At the very least, alternative ways of thinking. And when I read the opinions of better players, and those ideas are diametrically opposed to my current way of thinking, I wonder why. And it challenges me to rethink and hopefully improve. Since you are "too long in the tooth and set in your ways" to accept advice from better players--some of them world class--then why do you come here? Unless your goal is to troll . . . ?

My "Laugh of the day" used to be to check this forum for my daily fix of "What did PhilG007 post today?" But your constant blather, your combative nature, and the once humorous nature of your posts has become tiresome.

It is time to ignore the troll.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-20, 08:55

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-20, 06:35, said:

Speak for yourself,no-one else And I'm too long in the tooth and set in my ways to be "educated"

Then why do you come here? It should be evident that no one is really interested in learning from you.

By the way, I'm probably approximately as long in the tooth as you and I'm a helluva lot better than you.

And yet, I try to learn new things. Every day! I come on here to share ideas, and talk about hands. Even if I have seen something before, reminding myself about certain themes keeps me sharp.

You OTOH like to shoot your mouth off and make a fool of yourself. Me (and others) have grown tired of trying to give you friendly advice about how to act.

So, to anyone that reads this, please only accept challenges at a money table for preferably two cents a point. I thought enough people beating his brains in would reveal something we haven't seen but I was wrong.

Or better yet, just leave. You are like the unwanted guest that drinks too much and relies on other people's niceness to not get kicked out.

But you haven't been kicked out and probably won't. However, you can be ignored which is generally worse than getting kicked out because the thing a troll hates more than getting called out is not to be responded to at all.

Edit: haha Masse said nearly the same thing.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-20, 12:21

View PostPhil, on 2016-May-20, 08:55, said:

Then why do you come here? It should be evident that no one is really interested in learning from you.

By the way, I'm probably approximately as long in the tooth as you and I'm a helluva lot better than you.

And yet, I try to learn new things. Every day! I come on here to share ideas, and talk about hands. Even if I have seen something before, reminding myself about certain themes keeps me sharp.

You OTOH like to shoot your mouth off and make a fool of yourself. Me (and others) have grown tired of trying to give you friendly advice about how to act.

So, to anyone that reads this, please only accept challenges at a money table for preferably two cents a point. I thought enough people beating his brains in would reveal something we haven't seen but I was wrong.

Or better yet, just leave. You are like the unwanted guest that drinks too much and relies on other people's niceness to not get kicked out.

But you haven't been kicked out and probably won't. However, you can be ignored which is generally worse than getting kicked out because the thing a troll hates more than getting called out is not to be responded to at all.

"I'm a helluva lot better than you" How can you think that on the strength of one single challenge?????
Have you won any trophies,medals honors at this game ??? If so,reveal them or are you just another pseudo expert that
seems tohaunt this site (?)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-20, 12:52

View PostPhil, on 2016-May-20, 08:55, said:

I have noticed that you like to insult from a distance behind an alias. I don't think you would dare
to say the same face to face If you did you would have no face :angry:

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-20, 13:07

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-20, 12:52, said:

I have noticed that you like to insult from a distance behind an alias. I don't think you would dare
to say the same face to face If you did you would have no face :angry:

That fact that you don't know that "Phil" is "Phil Clayton" doesn't mean that "Phil" is hiding behind an alias, rather, it shows that you are too stupid or lazy to invest any time actually reading material that other people post in this forum.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-20, 13:18

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-May-20, 13:07, said:

[It] shows that you are too stupid or lazy to invest any time actually reading material that other people post in this forum.

Must we vote for only one? Can I choose both? Please?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#8 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-20, 13:26

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-May-20, 13:07, said:

That fact that you don't know that "Phil" is "Phil Clayton" doesn't mean that "Phil" is hiding behind an alias, rather, it shows that you are too stupid or lazy to invest any time actually reading material that other people post in this forum.

Does it matter???? the Bozo is now on my ignore list Good Riddance!!! :angry:

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-20, 13:31

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-20, 12:52, said:

to say the same face to face

Yeah I guess having my picture on BBO and using my FULL NAME isn't enough for some. My blood type is O positive (I think).

If we play (again) I will beat you every time which is why I won't do it anymore for funzies.

Accomplishments? Well I haven't won any nationals (yet) but the reason I spend time on here is to hopefully elevate my game to the point / and get on a long enough rush where I can win something. I do have a 5th in a national event and I consider myself competitive. If you do a little research you'll see I'm around 300th in the country by one measurement.

Please tell me what you've done. Can't wait to hear.

if you did you would have no face :angry:

For once I am at a loss for words.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-20, 15:27

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-May-20, 13:42, said:

Show ends here.
----------------------------------------------
PhilG you had plenty of chances from everyone. Take a long deserved vacation and just read for once. You can try again in 3 months. If you still are not able to stay on topic and quit the fist fighting attitude you are no longer welcome here.
IMO you're over-reacting, Diana :(
Phil supported PhilG007's view in his first post in this topic!
PhilG007's posts provoke lots of discussion and are relatively inoffensive compared with those of some other posters.
We enjoy his challenges (in one of which you triumphed). It's all just light-hearted fun :)

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-20, 15:30

View Postnige1, on 2016-May-20, 15:27, said:

IMO you're over-reacting, Diana :)
PhilG007's posts provoke lots of discussion and are relatively inoffensive compared with those of some other posters.
We enjoy his challenges (in one of which you triumphed). It's all just light-hearted fun :)

I actually liked this particular thread he opened and I agree it was good discussion. It's his replies that are unacceptable, especially his most recent ones.

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-20, 16:36

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-20, 05:14, said:

Choose your weapons MPs or IMPs?

We went down this road some time ago.

Mike and I called you out for a high stakes challenge at ANY stake with you being allowed to play with any partner in the world.

And amazingly, you did not take up the offer.

#13 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-May-20, 17:29

I knew this thread was what it would take to get Phil King to post again :) Welcome back
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-20, 19:31

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-May-20, 13:42, said:

PhilG you had plenty of chances from everyone. Take a long deserved vacation and just read for once. You can try again in 3 months. If you still are not able to stay on topic and quit the fist fighting attitude you are no longer welcome here.

As entertaining as it's been, I'm glad you did this. These forums have been all about him recently - every thread's been a pile-on, and he seems to thrive on it. He might not actually be a pedigree troll birthed from the fires of 4chan, but when we can't tell the difference, it hardly seems to matter.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 03:28

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-May-20, 15:30, said:

I actually liked this particular thread he opened and I agree it was good discussion. It's his replies that are unacceptable, especially his most recent ones.

+1

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 03:58

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-May-20, 15:30, said:

Maybe so.
But I have also the impression that his reaction is not unprovoked.
Many seem to jump on any remark this guy makes only to disabuse him in a precocious manner.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-21, 04:06

You probably mean "abuse", not "disabuse." And people have tried several approaches in addressing him, none of which worked. It is a simple fact of life that in some "poster vs rest of the forums" situations it is hard know who is reacting to whom. In this case PhilG has a long history of calling people names and the rest of the forums lost patience. I don't expect you to go back and read the history and I'm not prepared to do the necessary work as it would ultimately be a waste of time. You may therefore take this to be a baseless subjective post worthy of ignoring, if you so wish.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-21, 04:27

It probably comes as no surprise, but I am opposed to banning people with an exception for folks who are spamming advertisements and the like...

(Al_U_Card falls into the latter category)
Alderaan delenda est

#19 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-21, 04:49

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-21, 04:06, said:

You probably mean "abuse", not "disabuse." And people have tried several approaches in addressing him, none of which worked. It is a simple fact of life that in some "poster vs rest of the forums" situations it is hard know who is reacting to whom. In this case PhilG has a long history of calling people names and the rest of the forums lost patience. I don't expect you to go back and read the history and I'm not prepared to do the necessary work as it would ultimately be a waste of time. You may therefore take this to be a baseless subjective post worthy of ignoring, if you so wish.

I meant disabuse.
I am well aware that there is a history.
Nevertheless any time this guy remarks something now the reaction is entirely predictable.
Some will doubtless like it for its entertaining value, but I confess I get bored.
Everything has been exchanged numerous times.
We ate beating a dead horse.

Rainer Herrmann

#20 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-May-21, 04:57

View Postrhm, on 2016-May-21, 03:58, said:

But I have also the impression that his reaction is not unprovoked.

Agree. And it's not difficult to see when the bullfight began in this thread.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users