Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robots accept impossible claims

#1 User is offline   bbstar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-May-21, 02:39

I like that there is a claim button when playing at the Daylong tournament.

However, in order to claim:
* You must be on lead (having won the last trick).
* You must be declarer (switched from dummy or not).

In other cases the claim button acts as concede button. This is really misleading.

I have sometimes tried to claim all trick, but this resulted in conceding all tricks. Both of them require two clicks, initiate request and confirm request.
What is worse, the robots accept all concedes or claims for fewer tricks, even if they are theoretically impossible (eg I have only trumps left).

I have two suggestions to the software:
1. Concede button should be renamed "concede" not "claim".
2. Robots should reject theoretically impossible claims or concedes.

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-21, 03:59

This is often requested and everyone agrees with you. Trouble is that (so we are informed) it is a lot less trivial to implement than it appears that it ought to be. It is a legacy of some deep code that was inherited when GIB was initially bought in. I agree that it is frustrating, and if there is a possible fix it should be prioritised.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-May-21, 06:11

That a sort of "freedom" there is on BBO can be ok. But can be accepted if this one that seems a bug take a fuorviant consideration of any type ? I don't like much the "claim" as formulated because anytime if quickly cliked can have a mistake on resulting (than it is convenient to delete continuing to play till end that is the same thing but with the correct resulting).

#4 User is offline   mathboy 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-May-22, 05:52

It is good manner to claim as soon as possible.Life is short,and we should save time.

#5 User is offline   annne 

• Pip

Posted 2016-May-22, 10:28

Seems odd as the claim button is part of the bbo software rather than gib software, as all games have claim button available

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-22, 14:19

View Postannne, on 2016-May-22, 10:28, said:

Seems odd as the claim button is part of the bbo software rather than gib software, as all games have claim button available

What's part of the GIB software is the part that decides whether a claim is valid.

The GIB claim function just checks whether the player can take the number of tricks they're claiming. It doesn't check whether they can (or even must) take more.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-22, 15:35

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-22, 14:19, said:

What's part of the GIB software is the part that decides whether a claim is valid.

The GIB claim function just checks whether the player can take the number of tricks they're claiming. It doesn't check whether they can (or even must) take more.

If it made that check for both sides it would solve the problem.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   mathboy 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-May-22, 16:52

It depends on what you need from robots.Practise or score?There is nothing good for your improvement to warry about these fake scores.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users