BBO Discussion Forums: Don't open 4-4-4-1 hands with 12 or 13 points - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Don't open 4-4-4-1 hands with 12 or 13 points

#1 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:00

The title of this topic comes from tip No 7 in Paul Mendelson's excellent book " 100 tips for Better Bridge" He says :-

"The problem with hands like these is that as they contain three features,they really need three bids to convey their content.
In systems like Acol,when you can't freely bid two different 4 card suits,a considerable amount of fibbing is then involved.
The result of all this is you frequently end up in 4-3 trump fits(having to ruff in your own hand) and hopeless misfit NT contracts
short on points.
The solution is a simple one DON'T OPEN THE BIDDING WITH THIS DISTRIBUTION WITH ONLY 12 OR 13 POINTS

Let's say you open 1and partner responds 1(there is no problem if he bids anything else) In Acol you're stuck
If you play strong NT with 5 card majors and open a minor suit and get a 1 reply all you can do now is re-bid 1NT
This is a sure way of going down,possibly doubled,whenever partner is weak.
Just pass. If partner bids,you will be back in action. If he bids 1 on a minimum opener,you will now stay out
of a dodgy Game you couldn't have avoided had you opened,if he bids anything else you can get excited.
If an opponent opens 1,you have an ideal 2nd round double. If they bid anything else then you know that your pass was justified.
In the long run you will find yourself staying out of all these horrid contracts you wish you hadn't been faced with
With 14+ points, if partner bids your singleton you can re-bid NTs without risking so much.
The down side? A few missed part scores. Missing Game is impossible. If partner can't bid,what contract can you possibly miss?"
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:03

I would always open this hand.

I play Acol but with 5-card majors, so I open 1. Isn't a 1 opening correct when playing 4-card majors? This way you don't imply five cards in hearts.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:08

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-19, 07:03, said:

I would always open this hand.

I play Acol but with 5-card majors, so I open 1. Isn't a 1 opening correct when playing 4-card majors? This way you don't imply five cards in hearts.

And over 1 response? Did you read the post correctly?
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:18

WBF Systems Policy said:

For the purpose of this Policy, a Highly Unusual Method (HUM) means any System that ex­hib­its one or more of the following features, as a matter of partnership agreement:

[...]

2. By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be weaker than pass.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:24

Always open a 12 count 3-suiter. It is an extremely powerful shape that finds a fit if there is one, and is playable in NT if not. Playing 5-card majors, rather than opening a meaningless club and a meaningless diamond, switch to balanced club and unbalanced diamond. This is a perfect opening 1. Of course different methods have different continuations, but whatever yours is, you will have a perfect raise, or a perfect descriptive rebid over any reply including a natural 1.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:43

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-19, 07:08, said:

And over 1 response? Did you read the post correctly?

Yeah, playing 4- or 5-card majors open 1 and rebid 2. I kind of thought that was obvious given the 1 opening.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-19, 07:47

The diamond suit is so good that the hand doesn't have a rebid problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-19, 08:05

You open 1 and rebid 2 playing weak no trump Acol every day of the week unless you agree to open 1N.

Playing strong notrump you can happily rebid 1N if you want.

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-May-19, 08:16

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-May-19, 07:24, said:

Always open a 12 count 3-suiter. It is an extremely powerful shape that finds a fit if there is one, and is playable in NT if not. Playing 5-card majors, rather than opening a meaningless club and a meaningless diamond, switch to balanced club and unbalanced diamond. This is a perfect opening 1. Of course different methods have different continuations, but whatever yours is, you will have a perfect raise, or a perfect descriptive rebid over any reply including a natural 1.

Have to agree. I open all 12 counts I don't care how bad they are. I see this on bbo people passing 12 counts then always partner has 10-11 they of course pass along with opponents and you miss a nice part-score.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-19, 08:23

Passing is an interesting strategy. In most cases when it matters you can reopen with a double. The only real awkward auction is p 1S p 3S/4S (weak) we can manage all other sequences.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-19, 08:36

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-19, 07:43, said:

Yeah, playing 4- or 5-card majors open 1 and rebid 2. I kind of thought that was obvious given the 1 opening.

Rebidding 2 isn't fantastic since it is very wide ranging. You lose the heart suit if partner has less than a GF, if you aren't playing responder's reverse Flannery. Partner may take a false preference to 2d on a doubleton to avoid missing games when you are stronger. When partner has only 3 diamonds, 1nt may well have been a better contract.

Kaplan-Sheinwold recommends opening 1h and rebidding 1nt over 1s, but it plays this particular sequence as 12-14 instead of strong, unlike when opening a minor. Acol leaves you awkward choices when 1nt rebid is strong.

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-19, 09:01

With 1444 I don't mind 1D-1S-2C; partner should be aware that this might show 4-4. The more interesting case is where you open 1D with 4441 (singleton club), and partner responds 2C. Now you're somewhat screwed (unless you have enough to fake a 15-19 BAL).

I've found there is some merit in not opening 4441s with 11 or fewer points (very good intermediates notwithstanding), but with 12 I'd always open as it's too easy to miss game otherwise.

ahydra

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-19, 09:02

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-May-19, 08:36, said:

Rebidding 2 isn't fantastic since it is very wide ranging. You lose the heart suit if partner has less than a GF, if you aren't playing responder's reverse Flannery. Partner may take a false preference to 2d on a doubleton to avoid missing games when you are stronger. When partner has only 3 diamonds, 1nt may well have been a better contract.

It is true that rebidding 2 isn't wonderful, but it is better than passing initially.

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-19, 09:04

Holding a typical 4441 12 count, in 1st 2 seats, I agree with PhilG007 and Phil that it's OK to pass, hoping to double for take-out, later. 2 argument for passing are:
  • You have an awkward rebid if partner replies iin your short-suit.
  • Although a 4441-shape is a good in attack, it is usually excellent for defence. All suits are likely to break badly for opponents

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-19, 10:56

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-19, 07:00, said:

Let's say you open 1

The closest thing to a standard in modern Acol is to open the middle suit from 4441 hands with a black singleton. There are very few that still open the suit below the singleton with short spades. There are more, myself included, who open 1 with a short club but 1 is still the mainstream way for that shape.

And the advice not to open borderline 4441 hands is not bad at all. As always though, blindly following such a ("never") rule leads to bad bridge. It is good if you are starting to question such rules and perhaps shows a little development, bad if you opened the thread to try to teach us. Which was it?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#16 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-May-19, 11:26

So everyone else thinks it's legal to pass with 12-13* hcp and 1444 while opening, say, 1 with 11 hcp and 4414? (I'm not talking about A-QJ32-QJ32-QJ32 vs. AT98-AT98-x-KT98.)

* why not 12-20? Or 12-34?

#17 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-19, 11:30

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-19, 07:00, said:

"The problem with hands like these is that as they contain three features,they really need three bids to convey their content.

What better way is there to show all 3 features than to start with Pass? This is such a great idea, I extend the point range for pass up to 17 HCP. :)

#18 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-May-19, 11:33

12 HCP and 2 QTs are enough to open this hand. are a bit scrawny, but both and are decent holdings.

Playing Standard American or 2/1 this hand is no problem. You'd open 1 and rebid 2 . Bidding the 4 card suit first isn't that big a problem, as with something like x AJx KQJx Jxxxx you'd open 1 to avoid having to rebid 2 over a 1 response on Jxxxx.

My favorite partner and I play our version of updated Kaplan-Sheinwold. This is our big problem hand as we reserve a 1 opening followed by a 2 rebid for hands with reversing values. One possible solution is to play Mini-Roman which some of our K-S teammates do. But we have had so many good results reserving a 2 opening for Flannery that we just never find enough incentive to switch. Our solution is simply to rebid 2 over 1 which defines the hand as a minimum range unbalanced hand with .

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-19, 11:50

View Postnullve, on 2016-May-19, 11:26, said:

So everyone else thinks it's legal to pass with 12-13* hcp and 1444 while opening, say, 1 with 11 hcp and 4414? (I'm not talking about A-QJ32-QJ32-QJ32 vs. AT98-AT98-x-KT98.)

Few jurisdictions play under WBF regulations, although a lot of places have regulations similar to the one you quoted.

Anyway I think that regulations such as this are meant to refer to hand of the same shape -- eg would you open a particular hand but pass if you added a king to it. They are really intended to prohibit forcing pass systems, which of course is a pity.

#20 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-19, 12:17

View Postnullve, on 2016-May-19, 11:26, said:

Nullve, you are misreading the HUM regulations. "Opening at the 1 level is weaker than pass" is referring to forcing pass or intermediate pass systems, where pass guarantees a certain minimum strength greater than at least one of your one openings. E.g. Pass = 13+, 1d = 0-7, or pass=8-12, 1d = 0-7.

The discussed strategy here, passing some borderline hands because of rebid issues, but opening some lighter hands without, is perfectly fine, because pass can still be a yarborough and none of your actual openings guarantees a weaker hand than a pass would.

If you wanted to pass with all 4414s, that'd be crazy, but it'd be totally legal as long as your pass wasn't forcing and you aren't playing a fert.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users