• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ridiculous agreement

#1 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-17, 16:57

http://tinyurl.com/z2nk9wr

Robot describes 3D as 4+D ??? That is 100% wrong. 6D is the norm.

There is nothing wrong with pass of 3C. Anytime partner has offered a place to play,
you have to have a really great reason for playing some place else.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-18, 00:08

I have been trying to deconstruct GIB's thinking on this one, to guess what the bids mean over and above their limited descriptions, and contrast with standard.

The fundamental question is whether GIB thinks that 3D is supposed to be forcing. It does not expressly state that it is forcing, and I would not expect it to be forcing in standard methods, but on the other hand it does express in the explanation a minimum strength but no maximum.

That minimum strength opposite a minimum (in context) partner is not enough for game, but it is not far off. And this is because of the context: GIB follows one fairly consistent rule throughout its system: If you make a freebid in front of partner in a contested auction where partner still gets a shout, then to take action other than pass shows extra values. The (again fairly consistent) exception to this is when you are bidding a suit already implied or shown by partner, to signify support for the first time. But that exception does not apply here.

So 3C by South shows a minimum of 16 TP in GIB. That may or may not be standard, and it may or may not be good, but it is GIB. This South *just* qualifies.

Now, normally with values strong enough to force, with at least 5 Diamonds North would bid 2D on the previous round rather than doubling, and this would not deny a major (at least in standard). But North *may* only be strong enough to force once he becomes aware of South's extras.

IF GIB expects 3D to be forcing then it is slightly less heinous that it only promises a 4 card Diamond suit (assuming, of course, that GIB's understanding of the bid matches the announced explanation, which is by no means a given).

Also of interest I note that 3C by South only shows "biddable" Clubs, not (as I would expect) "re-biddable". According to that definition South might only have 4 card Club suit, although if he has 16 TP with only 4 Clubs I would expect either a 1N opener or a jump NT rebid.

All in all, I suspect that GIB deviates from standard quite significantly in both North and South's bids. It is understandable that GIB North holding 10 HCP is reluctant to pass a partner who has shown 16+ TP. The question is how to move. GIB does have a habit of choosing from what it considers a "least bad" option in these situations, so while GIB might itself prefer to have a 6th Diamond here, doing it on only 5 may be judged better than passing 3C
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-18, 04:07

View Postgoffster, on 2016-May-17, 16:57, said:

http://tinyurl.com/z2nk9wr

Robot describes 3D as 4+D ??? That is 100% wrong. 6D is the norm.

There is nothing wrong with pass of 3C. Anytime partner has offered a place to play,
you have to have a really great reason for playing some place else.

Hello
Keep calm, please.
Now let's see your hand at first.

Here I have to say south robot passing is a wrong auction within a unknown reason.
However 4 says "4-,4+,4+,7+TPs", I think such explanation is no problem.
The exact reasons :
- 3 says "3-,21-hcp,biddable ,16-22TPs". So you seat north, you need to maintain a round of bidding, and this 3 is forcing a round, south can't pass.
- If you hold 3541 with 5 and 4 , after 3, you can rebid 3 only with 4-card or if you hold 3442 with 4-4 distributions on red suits, after 3, you also can rebid 3nt directly.

Here I check and replay your hand, only for reference

Any ideas?

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-18, 18:21

Now what?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users