• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inability to get UI

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-17, 02:36

In a competitive situation a player makes a call and rushes for toilet just when his LHO competes further to the 4 level.

Now partner of the player absent takes a very long tank before passing. Absent player comes back from toilet unaware. Is he subject to UI?

#2 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-17, 03:31

No

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-17, 04:37

Law 16C1 begins "When a player accidentally receives unauthorized information..." [my emphasis]. In your case the player hasn't received the UI.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-17, 09:59

I wouldn't expect the partner to make any call until the player returns to the table. The time he took is not considered a break in tempo, because the tempo clock should stop when there's a player missing.

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-17, 10:06

??
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-17, 11:17

View PostFluffy, on 2016-May-17, 02:36, said:

In a competitive situation a player makes a call and rushes for toilet just when his LHO competes further to the 4 level.Now partner of the player absent takes a very long tank before passing. Absent player comes back from toilet unaware. Is he subject to UI?

View Postgordontd, on 2016-May-17, 04:37, said:

Law 16C1 begins "When a player accidentally receives unauthorized information..." [my emphasis]. In your case the player hasn't received the UI.
A similar interesting case is when you're involved in a tempo-sensitive slam-auction, where partner's screen-mate has an unexpected but genuine problem, that he takes several minutes to solve. Now you are in receipt of spurious unauthorised information but risk being penalised, if you act on it. Perhaps you could successfully argue that partner is known to keep to an even tempo, so he's unlikely to be responsible for the delay.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-17, 11:24

View Postnige1, on 2016-May-17, 11:17, said:

A similar interesting case is when you're involved in a tempo-sensitive slam-auction, where partner's screen-mate has an unexpected but genuine problem, that he takes several minutes to solve. Now you are in receipt of spurious unauthorised information but risk being penalised, if you act on it. Perhaps you could successfully argue that partner is known to keep to an even tempo, so he's unlikely to be responsible for the delay.

This little scenario seems contrived & fantastic, even for you Nigel!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-17, 11:40

View Postnige1, on 2016-May-17, 11:17, said:

Don't most jurisdictions have a clause that says that when screens are in use there's usually no UI from a delay in passing the board, because you can't tell which player on the other side caused the delay. And to prevent UI from the board coming back too soon if both players bid quickly, they're supposed to hold up passing the board.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-May-17, 15:31

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-17, 11:40, said:

Don't most jurisdictions have a clause that says that when screens are in use there's usually no UI from a delay in passing the board, because you can't tell which player on the other side caused the delay. And to prevent UI from the board coming back too soon if both players bid quickly, they're supposed to hold up passing the board.
Barmar knows the law better than I. My contention is based on a vague recollection of a thread on Bridgewinners about an appeal, also discussed here, with a hesitation of several minutes in a slam-auction, where most commentators accused Balicki-Zmudski of using UI.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2016-May-17, 15:50

View Postgordontd, on 2016-May-17, 11:24, said:

This little scenario seems contrived & fantastic, even for you Nigel!
Perhaps Gordon might express his incredulity in different words :) Anyway, I accept that Gordon hasn't met such a case, as director. Charles Outred assures me that he's been involved in such incidents.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-18, 07:48

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-17, 11:40, said:

While that is true in theory Barry, in pracise there are many auctions where it is absolutely obvious that only one of the players on the other side could have a problem and that the delay is almost certainly down to them. Nigel's scenario would obviously be an unusual exception to that.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-May-18, 07:54

I think I misread the opening post when I first was here. Has the toilet guy's RHO bid when he came back or not yet?
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-18, 09:04

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-May-18, 07:48, said:

While that is true in theory Barry, in pracise there are many auctions where it is absolutely obvious that only one of the players on the other side could have a problem and that the delay is almost certainly down to them. Nigel's scenario would obviously be an unusual exception to that.

Which is why I said "usually".

Was that slam auction competitive, or have the opponents been silent throughout until the hesitation in question? If they've been silent, you'll likely assume that any hesitation is from partner. Could someone find the screen regulations that say how this should be handled? It certainly feels wrong that the partner of the player who didn't break tempo should be constrained.

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-May-19, 00:23

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-18, 07:54, said:

I think I misread the opening post when I first was here. Has the toilet guy's RHO bid when he came back or not yet?

Yes when he comes back it is his turn again.

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-May-19, 02:46

So in what conceivable universe could there be UI, or AI, or any "I" other than the auction so far and (perhaps less relevant to bridge) some bathroom notes he read carved on the wall? I am guessing that you got a terrible ruling and you are doing a sanity check?
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-19, 03:12

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-19, 02:46, said:

So in what conceivable universe could there be UI, or AI, or any "I" other than the auction so far and (perhaps less relevant to bridge) some bathroom notes he read carved on the wall? I am guessing that you got a terrible ruling and you are doing a sanity check?

Well if (s)he turned round before leaving the room it might be possible. Another interesting situation would develop when the opps called the TD to query the situation and the player came back before the call was resolved.

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-May-19, 03:39

Fluffy said the player "rushed" to the toilet. Even if they turned round during their rush, all they could see is the first fraction of a second of the "tank", ie no UI, but much more likely, their LHO wouldn't bid during the rush to the toilet.
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-19, 03:48

View Postgwnn, on 2016-May-19, 03:39, said:

Fluffy said the player "rushed" to the toilet. Even if they turned round during their rush, all they could see is the first fraction of a second of the "tank", ie no UI, but much more likely, their LHO wouldn't bid during the rush to the toilet.

That rather depends on the size of the room and the difficulty in moving through the tables to the exit, no?

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-May-19, 04:09

I appreciate the effort in trying to establish a credible scenario, but rushing to the toilet still means rushing to the toilet. I don't see them paying attention to what's going on at the table even if it comes into their field of vision. It definitely doesn't mean stopping, turning around, figuring out whose turn it is to bid, and waiting for half a minute to establish whether the player is in a long tank.
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-May-19, 08:21

Why are we wasting time speculating on ridiculous and unlikely possibilities? Based on the OP, the player has no UI, end of story.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users