Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Don't know much 'bout geography

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-15, 10:42

OK, perhaps Israel and Azerbaijan have claims of vague proximity, but when did Australia become part of Europe?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-15, 11:12

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-15, 10:42, said:

OK, perhaps Israel and Azerbaijan have claims of vague proximity, but when did Australia become part of Europe?

It was one of the lamest Eurovisions I've ever seen.
If it wasn't for "Peace Peace Love Love" the evening would have been a complete loss.

(And Oz gave one of the only decent performances)
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-15, 11:12

As I recall, Oz had such a huge internal following of the ESC historically, that last year they were invited in as guests, and as you can expect, it stuck.

As Graham Norton said, don't try to apply any logic to anything in the ESC.

But agree that the musical quality was lacking. As a breakfast TV guest mentioned the following morning: challenge anyone now to hum any of the tunes - even the winning one.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-15, 11:24

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-May-15, 11:12, said:

It was one of the lamest Eurovisions I've ever seen.
If it wasn't for "Peace Peace Love Love" the evening would have been a complete loss.

Yeah, that was really good.

But I didn't tune in until Justin Timberlake, as I didn't know it was on. So I decided to watch it today, semifinals and all, but now I am not so sure...

Actually I have never watched Eurovision before, since like this year I have never known it was on.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-May-15, 11:49

Now that the precedent has been set for a couple of years, maybe we can expect entries from Brazil, Korea and Canada next year.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-15, 11:58

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-15, 11:49, said:

Now that the precedent has been set for a couple of years, maybe we can expect entries from Brazil, Korea and Canada next year.

We were saying yesterday that Korea seems tailor made for Eurovision
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-May-15, 13:38

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-15, 10:42, said:

Infact Australia was guest. The "special effects" are one of "keys" of this mega-show that is liked to me.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-15, 14:29

View PostLovera, on 2016-May-15, 13:38, said:

Infact Australia was guest. The "special effects" are one of "keys" of this mega-show that is liked to me.

Australia came in second, perhaps a record performance for a guest.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-May-15, 14:48

The amusing thing is that they very nearly won (and more power to them) which would have resulted in their hosting it next year.

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-15, 15:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-15, 14:48, said:

The amusing thing is that they very nearly won (and more power to them) which would have resulted in their hosting it next year.

Actually, one of the conditions in allowing Australia to compete is that the UK or Ireland would host if the Aussies were to win
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-15, 17:20

That's really the only way the UK could ever host it :P or if someone accidentally flipped the results.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-15, 18:34

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-May-15, 15:22, said:

Actually, one of the conditions in allowing Australia to compete is that the UK or Ireland would host if the Aussies were to win

They could just have hosted it in Austria. Half the world wouldn't notice the difference.

My understanding from the one article I read this morning is that the host city directly invited Australia this year, after being impressed by the performance last year. It's not expected to be an ongoing thing, although there are the inevitable hometown articles pushing for Oz to be a permanent fixture.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-15, 18:47

As a long time ESC fan I thought the musical quality this year was at least as good as most others. Anyone who tunes in expecting high quality music is fooling themselves. There were 4 or 5 potential winners this year, although I fully expected Russia to take the prize. They would have too if the juries had not given them incredibly low marks. The new voting system seems to have worked against them. The news is that it is being reported as a kind of conspiracy over there with suggestions of boycotting the contest in Kiev. I doubt anything will come of that but it makes for an interesting twist.

As for additional guests, how about an Asian country (Japan, Korea or China), a Latin American nation (Mexico, Columbia) and an African country (Morocco, Tunisia) for the 50th edition in 2025? Sounds like a plan to me! :)
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-May-16, 08:09

Morocco has participated before.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-16, 08:37

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-May-16, 08:09, said:

Morocco has participated before.

And Tunisia nearly took part (as well as the Lebanon), that is why I chose them as my potential candidates. :)
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-16, 10:03

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-May-15, 18:47, said:

As a long time ESC fan I thought the musical quality this year was at least as good as most others. Anyone who tunes in expecting high quality music is fooling themselves. There were 4 or 5 potential winners this year, although I fully expected Russia to take the prize. They would have too if the juries had not given them incredibly low marks. The new voting system seems to have worked against them. The news is that it is being reported as a kind of conspiracy over there with suggestions of boycotting the contest in Kiev. I doubt anything will come of that but it makes for an interesting twist.

As for additional guests, how about an Asian country (Japan, Korea or China), a Latin American nation (Mexico, Columbia) and an African country (Morocco, Tunisia) for the 50th edition in 2025? Sounds like a plan to me! :)

Russia has dedicated the juggling so it can be assumed that will pull the rabbit out of the hat. To me have liked Georgia, Cyprous, Serbia and also the winner.

#17 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-16, 14:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-May-15, 18:47, said:

I am halfway expecting the Russians to use this as a pretext to invade the rest of Ukraine...
Alderaan delenda est

#18 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-16, 14:37

Athough if anyone want to review the "Eurovision Song Contest" 2016 i can tell him/her how to do (via a my topic).

#19 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-16, 16:42

1974 >>>The last time something really interesting happened in this show :rolleyes:
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users