Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swiss Pairs

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-12, 12:34

Yesterday I ran a very small swiss pairs tourney and set the tables to change after 3 hands.. it seemed to go fine but after the tourney an expert (real one) player I believe to be totally reliable told me that he and his partner were scored in the second set of hand (i.e. hands 4-6) on contracts that they didn't play. The first set of hands was fine, but after they moved, somehow the contracts they played went to someone else and they got awarded the results of contracts they didn't play. How on earth can that happen? I've no way to tell, but I trust this person's word when he tells me for e.g.they set the opps on a 5!d contract but were given a score of 3!C making for that hand.

Did I do something wrong when I set the tables to change after 3 boards? Should I have set it so tables didn't move at all? Or ? I've never heard of this happening before so trying to avoid it happening again.

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2016-May-12, 13:09

You did not say anything about how you set up the movement. The problem you faced has nothing to do with Swiss Pairs. It would be the same problem if the game were scored at matchpoints.

There was some defect in the movement. The movement that you ran and the movement that your computer thought you were running were different. That would account for pairs having scores attributed to them that they did not earn.

I see that the topic heading is BBO tournament discussion. This was a BBO tournament? This kind of thing should never happen. It was obviously some sort of glitch in the programming.

#3 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-13, 00:15

It was a trial 6 board tourney on BBO, swiss, imps, changing tables after 3 boards. Other than that stuff that doesn't affect the way the thing runs.. kibs silent, barometer on.. It's a mystery

#4 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-13, 04:57

View Postonoway, on 2016-May-12, 12:34, said:

I've no way to tell . . .

Pam, did you look at the tournament results yourself? What tournament was it?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-13, 10:26

I guess you're talking about #8577 Pairs IAC Experimental tourney. Can you provide more specifics about which pair got the wrong results assigned to them?

We've recently made some changes to the server code that saves results, so it's possible that it has a bug like this. But we need details so we can investigate.

#6 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-13, 20:46

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-13, 10:26, said:

I guess you're talking about #8577 Pairs IAC Experimental tourney. Can you provide more specifics about which pair got the wrong results assigned to them?

We've recently made some changes to the server code that saves results, so it's possible that it has a bug like this. But we need details so we can investigate.

messaged you.
I ran another one today, this one a 12 board tourney and heard nothing about this happening this time.

I do have a question though. Is it still possible to set up a swiss team match? I see the settings for it on the web version but have been told I am not allowed to set such an event, as either onoway or as BBO_IAC so was curious. I'm not truly sure I want to, I think setting individual team matches might be less problematic even if hands do have to be loaded into each match instead of in one go for all of them, but someone is trying to set up multiple team matches as a basis for a teaching session and thought that might be an option.

#7 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-17, 14:15

Swiss Team Tourney in the "tourney" section is currently experimental, so you can't run it yet. :)

We run them once in a while, and BBOItalia has run them too (free versions), but they are fully cautioned and aware of the bugs, and have assured us their Italian player pool is aware.

They are not suitable for the multiple team match teaching games you're thinking of IMO (the one you recently told me about). We are interested in making team match creators life a bit easier though. It's a funny coincidence actually because I think Barry is just starting on a new project related to this and we're thinking of asking for your feedback once it's more ready.

Anyway STT is not suitable for what you're thinking of as a teaching tool. It is more a fun tourney, team game style, swiss scoring.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#8 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 19:12

View PostRain, on 2016-May-17, 14:15, said:

Swiss Team Tourney in the "tourney" section is currently experimental, so you can't run it yet. :)

We run them once in a while, and BBOItalia has run them too (free versions), but they are fully cautioned and aware of the bugs, and have assured us their Italian player pool is aware.

They are not suitable for the multiple team match teaching games you're thinking of IMO (the one you recently told me about). We are interested in making team match creators life a bit easier though. It's a funny coincidence actually because I think Barry is just starting on a new project related to this and we're thinking of asking for your feedback once it's more ready.

Anyway STT is not suitable for what you're thinking of as a teaching tool. It is more a fun tourney, team game style, swiss scoring.

Anything I can do just let me know, happy to help in any way I can

#9 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-14, 09:33

Whilst we are on the subject of Swiss Pairs. Is it possible for the software to actually match Pairs correctley on each round?

I write this because frequently pairs are re-matched and play each other more than once, sometimes more than that as well.

Seems to make a mockery of Swiss Pairs

#10 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-23, 23:51

View Postshintaro, on 2016-June-14, 09:33, said:

Whilst we are on the subject of Swiss Pairs. Is it possible for the software to actually match Pairs correctley on each round?

I write this because frequently pairs are re-matched and play each other more than once, sometimes more than that as well.

Seems to make a mockery of Swiss Pairs

I don't know specifically about Swiss but usually that happens in a small UNclocked tourney, the faster pairs move and there aren't enough pairs once they split so people end up playing each other twice or more. Basically you end with two tourneys inside a tourney. It's a major reason to use the clocked option in small tourneys. Of course, then people get upset about having to wait for the others to finish before changing, everyone is in a hurry these days or else trying to prove they're not.

#11 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 12:30

View Postonoway, on 2016-June-23, 23:51, said:

I don't know specifically about Swiss but usually that happens in a small UNclocked tourney, the faster pairs move and there aren't enough pairs once they split so people end up playing each other twice or more. Basically you end with two tourneys inside a tourney. It's a major reason to use the clocked option in small tourneys. Of course, then people get upset about having to wait for the others to finish before changing, everyone is in a hurry these days or else trying to prove they're not.

Sorry onoway but I am talking about a 'clocked' 14 minutes per round Swiss Pairs

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users