BBO Discussion Forums: (pass) - 1C - (pass) - 4NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(pass) - 1C - (pass) - 4NT

Poll: 4NT = (37 member(s) have cast votes)

4NT = ...

1. Specific ace asking (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

2. RKBC for clubs (20 votes [54.05%])

Percentage of vote: 54.05%

3. RKBC without a trump king (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

4. Quantitative (please specify the HCP-range in your answer) (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Tryggolaf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:03

Playing in a pick-up partnership in a natural 5 card majors context, you open 1 showing 2+. Your responses are up the line and you are nearly certain you play inverted minors. Partner manages to surprise you with a 4NT-bid. Regardless of the actual hand you hold, what would you think the 4NT-bid means? In addition to that question, what is your agreement on the 4NT-bid in your regular partnership?

(pass) - 1 [= 2+ ] - (pass) - 4NT

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:06

Missing 5th option:
Transfer to new partner
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:10

This ^^. Seriously though, in a pickup partnership, all 4NT bids are RKCB unless obvious.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:13

it should be 4 ace blackwood - and there's no reason to assume this isn't the right bid on partner's hand. if p has a very shapely hand just missing the right number of aces, it's much better to get blackwood in before you get pre-empted by 4th hand's equally shapely hand.

A x KQJ10xxx KQJx for example.

#5 User is offline   Tryggolaf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:39

View Postwank, on 2016-May-10, 05:13, said:

it should be 4 ace blackwood - and there's no reason to assume this isn't the right bid on partner's hand. if p has a very shapely hand just missing the right number of aces, it's much better to get blackwood in before you get pre-empted by 4th hand's equally shapely hand.

A x KQJ10xxx KQJx for example.

I opened 1 in second seat. It's correctly stated in the opening post, but in a misguided attempt not to overcomplicate the thread title I didn't include it there. Perhaps one of the mods can edit another change the title of the thread to '(pass) - 1C - (pass) - 4NT'.

The danger of your concern is a lot less after I opened in 2nd seat, but the opponent in 1st seat might still enter the auction with a shapely hand unfit for a pre-empt in his methods and to a lesser extent, the opponent in 3rd seat might do the same with long if he wasn't able to bid 2/3 natural after he faced the 1-opening.

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:53

Yes but it is not worth the hassle to play different responses to a 1st seat and 2nd seat opening.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 05:56

View PostTryggolaf, on 2016-May-10, 05:39, said:

I opened 1 in second seat. It's correctly stated in the opening post, but in a misguided attempt not to overcomplicate the thread title I didn't include it there. Perhaps one of the mods can edit another change the title of the thread to '(pass) - 1C - (pass) - 4NT'.

The danger of your concern is a lot less after I opened in 2nd seat, but the opponent in 1st seat might still enter the auction with a shapely hand unfit for a pre-empt in his methods and to a lesser extent, the opponent in 3rd seat might do the same with long if he wasn't able to bid 2/3 natural after he faced the 1-opening.

It's not just that you might be pre-empted. This is also probably the last time you will have the chance to clearly bid regular Blackwood.

I thought this was standard.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 06:05

View PostTryggolaf, on 2016-May-10, 05:39, said:

ok but there are other dangers.

for example, opener might jump to show extras. it might then become difficult to set responder's suit as trumps and initiate blackwood without opener doing something awkward. rkcb for opener's suit might be of little value, because the king of that suit is often irrelevant on this hand type.

funny stuff happens. it might not be likely, but a straight 4 ace bwood to start mitigates those risks

#9 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-10, 06:46

The type of player I most dread pairing up with is the one who just loves to
see the wheels go round. In the example given,I would pass 4NT and if partner started
remonstrating,I would just simply reply "We had no agreement on this" Time and again
I have stressed that in any pick up pairing you should strive to KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!
Long ago,when I was a novice I was told that if you made a bid and partner didn't understand the
meaning of it,it was YOUR fault <_<
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 07:09

Aces only. Partner's hand should be a control oriented one suiter.

So basically what wank said.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-10, 08:17

View Postbillw55, on 2016-May-10, 07:09, said:

Aces only. Partner's hand should be a control oriented one suiter.

So basically what wank said.

I disagree with Wank's example, but agree with his meaning. The hand he gives can keycard now/later by whatever method you have agreed, the hand that can't be bid as easily is the one with a singleton in partner's suit where you don't care about the K of his suit and just want to know aces.

#12 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-10, 12:16

Years ago the question "When is 4NT NOT Blackwood?" caused a lot of confusion amongst the rank and file.
And it would seem that confusion is still rife today. So when IS 4NT Blackwood and when not? I ask this question if
only to set the record straight for the benefit of any novices or intermediates reading this.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-10, 12:45

View PostTryggolaf, on 2016-May-10, 05:03, said:

Playing in a pick-up partnership in a natural 5 card majors context, you open 1 showing 2+. Your responses are up the line and you are nearly certain you play inverted minors. Partner manages to surprise you with a 4NT-bid. Regardless of the actual hand you hold, what would you think the 4NT-bid means? In addition to that question, what is your agreement on the 4NT-bid in your regular partnership?
(pass) - 1 [= 2+ ] - (pass) - 4NT
Interpretations of 4N, I rank
  • Keycard for . Agree with manududeo3 that this is the likely meaning as a reply to any other 1-opener. e.g. K Q J x K Q J x A K Q x x
  • 4-A Blackwood. Perhaps Wank's interpretation is more sensible, when opener may have as few as 2 s e.g. x A K Q x x x x x x x x x
  • Quantitative. Not likely when opener might have a shapely hand. Anyway, you can hardly risk a pass even if, like 1eyedjack, you want a new partner.

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-10, 13:08

View Postnige1, on 2016-May-10, 12:45, said:

Interpretations of 4N, I rank
  • Keycard for . Agree with manududeo3 that this is the likely meaning as a reply to any other 1-opener. e.g. K Q J x K Q J x A K Q x x
  • 4-A Blackwood. Perhaps Wank's interpretation is more sensible, when opener may have as few as 2 s e.g. x A K Q x x x x x x x x x
  • Quantitative. Not likely when opener might have a shapely hand. Anyway, you can hardly risk a pass even if, like 1eyedjack, you want a new partner.

Would agree with you about 1 but I would expect to have agreed 4 or 4 to be that.

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 14:39

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-10, 06:46, said:

The type of player I most dread pairing up with is the one who just loves to
see the wheels go round. In the example given,I would pass 4NT and if partner started
remonstrating,I would just simply reply "We had no agreement on this" Time and again
I have stressed that in any pick up pairing you should strive to KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!
Long ago,when I was a novice I was told that if you made a bid and partner didn't understand the
meaning of it,it was YOUR fault <_<

As the OP says, "what would you think the 4NT-bid means?" Please give a list of alternate meanings for 4NT that you think are relevant after a 1 opener. I don't think you can come up with anything that any pickup partner would consider springing on an unknown partner playing in a pickup partnership.

If your partner makes a bid that 99.9% of the bridge population should understand, and you don't, it really is your fault.

I once (and only once) played in a lunchtime game at work where I opened 1 and partner jumped to 4. Partner put down a prime 15-16 HCP hand, I had a decent 17 count and 7 made on a finesse. Partner pointed out that I should have taken another bid because he had shown a very strong hand. I tried to explain that 4 was supposed to be preemptive, but my partner and both opponents firmly agreed that it showed an opening hand or better. So in that game, it was my fault for not knowing the company bidding system in use.

I would say 99.9% of unknown partners meant 4NT as Blackwood whether beginner, intermediate, or expert. IMHO, the only question is whether you are playing RKC responses. I would keep it simple, if your partner knows about RKC, then I would assume RKC responses.

#16 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-11, 02:00

It seems to me, partner must be expecting either to play their suit without support, or play NT. Whatever, they could be in line for a nasty 'accident'. Why not just respond two of their own suit, a forcing jump response in my system, and see how it goes from there?

I don't play SAYC but in ACOL, my preferred system, a 4NT bid would be suicidal if responder is supporting clubs. Suppose it's standard Blackwood, opener responds 5, then you realise you are two aces short. It's happened to me :( . Lesson learnt.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-11, 02:30

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-May-11, 02:00, said:

It seems to me, partner must be expecting either to play their suit without support, or play NT. Whatever, they could be in line for a nasty 'accident'. Why not just respond two of their own suit, a forcing jump response in my system, and see how it goes from there?

I don't play SAYC but in ACOL, my preferred system, a 4NT bid would be suicidal if responder is supporting clubs. Suppose it's standard Blackwood, opener responds 5, then you realise you are two aces short. It's happened to me :( . Lesson learnt.

I'm guessing they play weak jump shifts, if they play strong, then several possibilities disappear.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-May-11, 06:16

Why not see his/her profile? Surely then one knows if it is simple Blackwood or Roman Key Card Blackwood.I assume that he is prepared to play in some 6/7 contract and he is ready for the 5D or any other response.He knows that opener may have
only a doubleton club.One can not have a need to have a specific HCP requirements, unless the opening bid is 1/2 NT in which case i4NT is usually played as quantitative since there is Gerber [for Aces] and other pathways available to bid 4 NT later as simple orRKCB. As regards the second question ,4NT is Quantitative also when partner finding no established fit in any suit has signed of in say 3NT and asks him to bid six if he has the maximum HCP as the range revealed by him earlier.Opener "may"further bid 5 NT to show middle of the range provided there is prior agreement to that effect.Pairs also play 1/2 NT --4 NT as quantitative as I said earlier.

#19 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-11, 07:00

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-May-11, 06:16, said:

Why not see his/her profile? Surely then one knows if it is simple Blackwood or Roman Key Card Blackwood.
Unless your own profile is different, and he may have been acting on your profile rather than his own :)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-11, 07:06

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-May-11, 06:16, said:

Why not see his/her profile? Surely then one knows if it is simple Blackwood or Roman Key Card Blackwood.

It would be common for strong players to play this as simple Blackwood even though they play RKCB in most other situations.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users