BBO Discussion Forums: This contract needs to be improved. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This contract needs to be improved.

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-07, 20:02

Now let's see this sequence of my basic Gibs at first :

On Gib CC, north double says penalty double.
Face to penalty double, if I am south, I am not confident of defeating 1NT because of too weak hand, so I have to escape.
However, there is a issue in the south hand, how to escape? See my real Gib hand at below.

After penalty double, on Gib CC :
2= 5+, 4-hcp
2=5+,4-hcp
2=5+,4-hcp
2=5+,4-hcp
2NT= undefined

Now we can be easy to find such explanations differ from the actual, if hold any 4432 shape, how to escape? Obviously, the longest suit is only 4 cards,never 5 cards.
1- If hold 4432 with 4-4 minors, how to escape? 2 may be best.
2- If holds 4432 with 4-4 majors, I am wondering how to escape.

So I would suggest 2/=4+, 4-hcp.
Ok?

P.S.
After penalty double, if south pass, the result would be worst.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-07, 22:50

I don't think requiring a 5 card suit to run is that unreasonable. Sometimes when you have a very weak hand, partner has 1NT beat in hand, and what's to say whatever you run to isn't going to go for more than the 180 for 1NTx if it makes?
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-08, 00:33

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-May-07, 22:50, said:

I don't think requiring a 5 card suit to run is that unreasonable. Sometimes when you have a very weak hand, partner has 1NT beat in hand, and what's to say whatever you run to isn't going to go for more than the 180 for 1NTx if it makes?

You are making a joke.
It is very simple, as a bidding system, if without escaping agreements, that is not a complete system.
I meant the programmers need to improve escaping agreements.

Thank you for your reply.

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 04:48

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-08, 00:33, said:

You are making a joke.
It is very simple, as a bidding system, if without escaping agreements, that is not a complete system.
I meant the programmers need to improve escaping agreements.

Thank you for your reply.

If you aren't going to take me seriously, fine, but here's a layout I've come up with in about 2 seconds.

If south had just left the hand alone, he was going to end +500. Since he pulled it to 2H, he is now going for -800. North doesn't have anything to pull it to, 2NT is off the first 8 tricks and 3m is a wild gamble which can be held to 7 tricks with accurate defense. Also he doesn't know if partner has 4 or 6 hearts.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-08, 06:58

In all of the situation what you said , it needs south to escape to a better contract, usually to 2 instead of 2, generally speaking, its probability is far more better than pass.
Surprisedly, there is a supporter in your reply.
As a complete system, if there is no escaping approach, that's really a joke.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 07:13

Having an escape system and choosing to escape are two separate issues.

In my experience it is quite popular to pass out partner's double with a weak balanced hand unless the opponents redouble to play, especially when the doubler's side is vulnerable, as the cost of letting the contract make is often less than the doubled rescue bid.

The hand at the beginning of this thread happens to favour removing the double, because by a stroke of good fortune doubler happens to have 4 card support for South's only 4 card suit.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 10:03

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-08, 06:58, said:

In all of the situation what you said , it needs south to escape to a better contract, usually to 2 instead of 2, generally speaking, its probability is far more better than pass.

Switch North's hearts and clubs (and adjusting for duplicate pips) and you are now playing in a poor 3-2 fit vul!
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 16:40

It is quite standard to Pass the S hand opposite a penalty double of a strong 1NT. There is no reason to believe that playing in a suit is better.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 17:27

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-08, 06:58, said:

lycier - if you want to learn to play better, try listening to advanced and expert players who know how to play the game.

OK, you've stumbled upon one of the worst case scenarios for leaving in 1NTx. Good bridge is based on probabilities and sometimes you get an awful result. More often, you can beat 1NT even with your weak hand, or letting them make 1NT is better than declaring your own contract, frequently doubled.

Now if you get a redouble to play, that changes the bridge odds for running.

#10 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-08, 18:20

View Postjohnu, on 2016-May-08, 17:27, said:

lycier - if you want to learn to play better, try listening to advanced and expert players who know how to play the game.

OK, you've stumbled upon one of the worst case scenarios for leaving in 1NTx. Good bridge is based on probabilities and sometimes you get an awful result. More often, you can beat 1NT even with your weak hand, or letting them make 1NT is better than declaring your own contract, frequently doubled.

Now if you get a redouble to play, that changes the bridge odds for running.

Would you confirm you and my opps are decent advanced or expert players?
When we posted the hand and made some comments on it, normally it has nothing to do with the private skill.
Your main point is south must pass even with zero point hand over pd's penalty double to opp's 1nt.
To be honest, this is just a classic content only for beginner and intermediate.
You are making a rediculous joke.
You really don't understand what the complete bidding system including Gib CC is.

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 23:37

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-08, 18:20, said:

When we posted the hand and made some comments on it, normally it has nothing to do with the private skill.
Your main point is south must pass even with zero point hand over pd's penalty double to opp's 1nt.
To be honest, this is just a classic content only for beginner and intermediate.

Lycier, you are just out of your depth here, you have no idea what you are talking about. Look, with a long suit and weak hand, it's reasonable to run, because you have somewhere to go. On balance you think that you can make your contract playing in your long suit, or escape for a small penalty, or that the opponents will bid over you. But with a bad hand, balanced, the odds change. You aren't going to take that many more tricks playing in your long suit, because it's substantially less likely you have an 8+ fit there, and with flat hands you don't gain tricks as often with ruffing vs. just playing in NT, as compared to unbalanced hands. So *a lot* of players play that weak balanced hands you just pass and take your chances. This can pay off both when any of:
1. Partner doubled on like a 20 count and has your weak hand covered with extra HCP.
2. Partner has a good long suit and entries, bolstered by your 3 cd support (at least if you are balanced, if partner leads a long suit it's not your singleton!), and has the timing to take 7 tricks even though your side is short on points.
3. Even though the opponents make 1nt-x, the penalty of 180, 280, 380 or whatever is less than the -300/-500 you might get by running.

It loses when the above didn't happen, and partner randomly hits with 4 cd fit for your one suit, or the opps weren't going to figure out to double you, or something of that nature.

You are probably in a bad spot on average when partner doubles and you are broke, but the fact of the matter is that you aren't super likely to get to a substantially better spot by running. At least by passing, you pick up some very good boards when partner is able to beat them by himself. And you still pick up something from people who run and give up -300 instead of -180.

If you say that South must always bid when weak, then how do you propose South runs?
1. South just bids his 4cd suit, North always sits. Then you reach ridiculous 4-2 and 4-1 fits and examples like were given previously where you are in some terrible contract down several when you had a chance to beat 1nt.
2. South bids 2c on 3, North is supposed to pass/bid suits up the line. This will get you to at least a 7 card fit if South is 4333, but often still misses your 4-4 fit. And now, this really hurts you when South has 5/6/7 clubs, when you really want North to be passing on stiff/doubletons/3, now he will be bidding instead. And what if South is like weak 3442, you want to play 4-2 club fit, bid clubs? What if South is 4432?

And if you want 2d to also only show 4, then you've hurt South's ability to show 5/6/7 diamonds AND clubs.

It's simply not possible to cater to all possibilities. The opening side, the 1nt that got doubled, can cater to more possibilities since they can potentially utilize both pass and redouble, if they want to play a complicated runout system. They also have the advantage of opener always being balanced and being a narrow range so they have a better idea that they are doing a reasonable thing. The intervening side, since the double is wide ranging (doubler can be very strong, running can be a mistake), and can be unbalanced (so responder running to his own suit has no guarantee of even partial fit), is in a much worse position to be playing such systems, especially since you can't redouble partner's double!

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-09, 06:10

Perhaps we might look at whether playing penalty X of a strong NT is worth it, as opposed to something like "any 4M5m". But otherwise, I agree 100% with what Stephen said.

ahydra

#13 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-09, 11:34

View Postahydra, on 2016-May-09, 06:10, said:

Perhaps we might look at whether playing penalty X of a strong NT is worth it, as opposed to something like "any 4M5m". But otherwise, I agree 100% with what Stephen said.
ahydra

yeah... or make sure you only double with 18+hcp or 7 likely tricks, if pd is supposed to pass with any 0 hcp and no 5cd-suit.

I agree Doubling with any 15-16hcp has a tendency to backfire more often than not
But that's just my "gut-feeling" :) -- not based on actual statistics...

Otherwise, there is Brozel or similar...
http://www.bridgebas...zel-convention/

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-09, 14:54

You really don't understand what the complete bidding system including Gib CC is.

OK, apparently I was wrong. You should also listen and try to absorb anything said by intermediate players, or beginners who have taken a series of bridge lessons from qualified instructors.

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-May-09, 15:11

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-07, 20:02, said:

On Gib CC, north double says penalty double.Face to penalty double, if I am south, I am not confident of defeating 1NT because of too weak hand, so I have to escape.
Agree with JohnU. I rank
  • Pass = NAT If partner has long suit or 17+ HCP then West is likely to go down. If 1NX makes that may still be our cheapest option.
  • 2 = NAT. More wriggle-room. If 2 is doubled, then you can redouble or bid 2.
  • 2 = NAT. May leave you with some explaining to do, especially if partner has fewer than 3 s.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 08:07

Manudude03 is one of the top players in his country. He has played in the Irish selection at European youth championships, o.a.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-10, 13:21

Helene_t, very glad to read your reply, that's to say it is correct for all what experts said, whether or not study or good at Gib system. I would learn from all experts.

#18 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-10, 13:25

View Postnige1, on 2016-May-09, 15:11, said:

Agree with JohnU. I rank
  • Pass = NAT If partner has long suit or 17+ HCP then West is likely to go down. If 1NX makes that may still be our cheapest option.
  • 2 = NAT. More wriggle-room. If 2 is doubled, then you can redouble or bid 2.
  • 2 = NAT. May leave you with some explaining to do, especially if partner has fewer than 3 s.

Really don't know what you said, their points is only pass after double, your definitions of 2/ are not out of their option.

#19 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-10, 14:36

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-May-08, 04:48, said:

If you aren't going to take me seriously, fine, but here's a layout I've come up with in about 2 seconds.

If south had just left the hand alone, he was going to end +500. Since he pulled it to 2H, he is now going for -800. North doesn't have anything to pull it to, 2NT is off the first 8 tricks and 3m is a wild gamble which can be held to 7 tricks with accurate defense. Also he doesn't know if partner has 4 or 6 hearts.

Everyone knows it normally bid 2.
2=fool, is it a option of your expert?

#20 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 17:53

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-10, 14:36, said:

Everyone knows it normally bid 2.
2=fool, is it a option of your expert?

Now who's the fool? After all, North has no idea how many clubs south has so pass seems reasonable. South can't really risk a redouble (what if partner is 3334?)
Wayne Somerville

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users