BBO Discussion Forums: Any play for 4 spades doubled here? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any play for 4 spades doubled here?

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-07, 12:31

At least, that's what cropped up recently (I've seated myself South for convenience):

The lead was 7.
I went down one: without the 5-0 trump split (which the double should have alerted me to) there ought to be an easy game. I've got a feeling there should be a way, even with trumps like that, but I can't see it.
Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-07, 12:42

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-May-07, 12:31, said:

Any ideas?

There is a button at the bottom of the hand diagram called "GIB" that gives you a clue. It assumes double dummy defence, but if the defence get everything right you can't make.

Incidentally, the contract may be fine but the 4S bid itself seems a bit of a stretch. Presumably your partners don't trust you to accept an invite with your hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-07, 12:47

If I'd had an invite, and with a guard in hearts, I was fancying 3NT. Annoyingly, this could have made, if I was playing them. The hearts are a danger of course, but notice that if west still leads his 7, the hearts are blocked. So I could make 3NT on two spades, one heart, one diamond and five clubs.

#4 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-07, 14:15

I don't think 3NT makes either so long as the A is ducked at trick 1.
4 is clearly off, A,a ruff with the long trump and 2 natural trump tricks.

#5 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-07, 15:53

View Postwanoff, on 2016-May-07, 14:15, said:

I don't think 3NT makes either so long as the A is ducked at trick 1.
4 is clearly off, A,a ruff with the long trump and 2 natural trump tricks.

In NT, if west leads 7 and east ducks, south wins with the 10. Then, when east comes in with A, they must either concede another trick to the K, or lead A in which case the hearts are blocked.

Actually, I've just noticed that west can unblock by throwing a heart on the first round of spades, so 3NT doesn't make. OK, perhaps 4x isn't so bad!

Obviously, I didn't know any of this when I was actually playing!

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 09:43

As far as 3NT versus 4S goes, it seems to me the question is (during the bidding, before you know exact details) can you tak e 9 tricks after the heart K is established. It is true that the heart suit might block, and it is true that the opponents might or might not be up for unblocking it, but far more often the cards lie differently and the suit will simply be ready to run. So, usually, 3NT makes if you have nine running tricks after the heart lead, and fails otherwise. Here you have five running clubs and there are still only eight tricks on top. So I think 4S is where you want to be, not 3NT.

As for making 4S, Gib says no and it seems to be the right answer even when defenders do not see all four hands. You have a combined spade diamond problem Even if you were allowed to run your clubs from the board you get only two diamond pitches. I don't see any likely coups or endplays or anything. I think you are down, and not just when Gib does dd defense. Down 1 is not always good bridge but i can't see better and I would expect you have company in being down, but maybe not doubled. E might be cautions in giving the spade position away and not double.
Ken

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-May-08, 10:52

My question to the BBF panel on this hand is....does anyone agree with the bidding of any of the 4 players at the table?
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-08, 11:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-May-08, 10:52, said:

My question to the BBF panel on this hand is....does anyone agree with the bidding of any of the 4 players at the table?

As W I would deal and pass on round 1, and as N I would open 1C. After that my clones and I would probably have a different auction. Interestingly a Michaels 2C over 1C would worn NS off of 4S. Without giving it a great deal of thought it appears that EW can make 2H and might make 3 if the defense is not careful, and NS can make 3C or 2NT. Gib tells us that a spade contract can be held to 8 tricks. In practice, I think 3S would make, but also in practice I don't think it would be bid after Michaels. So it seems to me that a reasonable contract is 3C in the NS. But that may not come to pass. After the Michaels bid and, I assume, a double by S I suppose W bids 2H. North will pass, or at least I would, but then I think S will try either 3C (assuming club length with his partner based on what he has heard) or 2NT. 2NT will make, as will 3C if N pulls. But quite likely N will raise 2NT to 3NT, and that will go down as long as EW are careful.

If this board was played multiple times I would expect a wide variety of auctions and results. I would expect it to begin P-1C-2C(Michaels) at most tables. If it instead starts P-1C-1H I would expect X from S. Not everyone plays X shows four spades and 1S shows 5+, but most do. Here, they apparently don't.
Ken

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-May-08, 12:05

I don't mind 1N opener by N
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#10 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-08, 13:33

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-08, 12:05, said:

I don't mind 1N opener by N

Are you up for cloning yourself here? You open 1NT, your clone sitting E presumably has a way to indicate a 2 suited hand. Maybe 2H (DONT) or maybe 2C or 2D shows both majors. i assume your clone does this? And now to your southern clone. He does?

Whether N opens 1NT or 1C I suspect it will be tough for NS to stay out of 3NT. Once E shows both majors staying out of 4S should be easy enough but it will take real restraint to stay out of 3NT
Ken

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-May-08, 14:22

I never said it would work

#12 User is offline   guss6264 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-May-08, 20:53

Only way I see is to get to your hand and play the Jand hope W goes up with the K. You cover with the Ace and the queen drops.

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-09, 09:27

View Postguss6264, on 2016-May-08, 20:53, said:

Only way I see is to get to your hand and play the Jand hope W goes up with the K. You cover with the Ace and the queen drops.

Man never is, but always to be blessed. No harm in trying!
Ken

#14 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-09, 10:30

View Postguss6264, on 2016-May-08, 20:53, said:

The sad thing is even if that does happen, its still down 1. East would ruff the second diamond and you still have 2 more trump losers
Wayne Somerville

#15 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-May-09, 15:32

If the GIB button doesn't appeal to you, you might want this tool for analyses on your own. Whether double dummy plays are realistic is a separate question.
Deep finesse: http://www.deepfinesse.com/
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 09:22

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-May-08, 10:52, said:

Yes.

As North I would have opened 1NT (assuming 15-17). 4 is a huge overbid.

As E I think 1 is fine but double is not good unless I have the agreement that partner is supposed to sit for it even with a void. I would actually assume that agreement with some partners, unfortunately.

As S it is just a system thing. I bid 1 with that hand with my regular IRL partner. Obviously dbl is mainstream.

As W I would raise hearts. I am on lead myself against a spade contract but even if I wanted to show the diamond suit, a fit jump is better since next round it will be too late to show the hearts. If we don't play fit jumps, I just raise hearts.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users