• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Flouncing" - leaving table in mid-hand

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-07, 16:35

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-07, 15:51, said:

Yes, the server can tell the difference. But for the purposes we're using the statistics for, we decided that it wasn't important, so we don't currently record them differently. We don't want to embarass players, just give table and tourney hosts an option to block people who are likely to disappear, for whatever reason.

Anyway if you made a distinction, people wanting to leave the table would just quit by ending their connection.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-10, 13:03

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-07, 16:35, said:

Anyway if you made a distinction, people wanting to leave the table would just quit by ending their connection.

Some might, but probably most would find it too inconvenient to disconnect and re-login every time they wanted to get out of a table.

#23 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-18, 11:37

Sometimes the boot is on the other foot. Have a (very) brief glance at this hand, at which I was the 'victim' sitting East:

I thought for a while before passing. Think about it this way: 7NT is almost certainly a laydown, but not all tables will have bid it (this was indeed the case: nine tables stopped in six, and two even languished in 3NT). But the difference in points between six and seven is so big, that the hand is immediately subject to a huge IMPs swing and there's nothing I can do about it....

So I thought .... should I 'flounce' before passing? There's always a chance that a kibitzer will sit to take my place, forcing the hand to be re-dealt and avoiding the inevitable IMPs loss.

I didn't. I like to think I'm a more honest player than that. I duly passed, made my lead and of course the grand slam was instantly claimed. -9.7 imps and not a lot I can do.... :(

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-18, 12:46

I've got you beat on the honesty bandwagon. Today when I paid for lunch, my change was supposed to be $7, but the cashier gave be a $10 bill instead of the $5 bill. I gave back the extra $5.

#25 User is offline   USViking 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-18, 23:49

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-July-18, 11:37, said:

Sometimes the boot is on the other foot. Have a (very) brief glance at this hand, at which I was the 'victim' sitting East:
I thought for a while before passing. Think about it this way: 7NT is almost certainly a laydown, but not all tables will have bid it (this was indeed the case: nine tables stopped in six, and two even languished in 3NT). But the difference in points between six and seven is so big, that the hand is immediately subject to a huge IMPs swing and there's nothing I can do about it....So I thought .... should I 'flounce' before passing? There's always a chance that a kibitzer will sit to take my place, forcing the hand to be re-dealt and avoiding the inevitable IMPs loss.I didn't. I like to think I'm a more honest player than that. I duly passed, made my lead and of course the grand slam was instantly claimed. -9.7 imps and not a lot I can do.... :(

I hope you are joking.

Only a real dick would even think about "flouncing" in order to prevent a fairly earned good score by opponents.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users