• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Find the right strain

#21 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-08, 10:21

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-08, 08:49, said:

Over a 1NT rebid 3 is not forcing but highly invitational The danger with this bid is that partner might
pass if he is minimum and a sure 4 would be missed for a rotten score. 3 IS forcing to at least
game and suggests a possible slam in either spades or diamonds if partner can help in either suit.
3NT will go down among the dead men and must be avoided at all costs.

Agree with most of this, but 3N is of course the winner opposite something like Kx, Qxxxx, Kxx, Axx as you cash 11 when 4 only makes 10 (or goes off on a bad break)

#22 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 12:37

View Postlycier, on 2016-May-06, 03:37, said:

If don't play checkback including nmf and two way stayman etc modern bidding gadgets, that only shows your problem make no sense.

No, it only shows why you should be playing something like NMF or XYZ. Suppose you are playing with somebody who refuses to play any gadgets here. Do you get up and walk out of the club? Assuming you stay, this hand comes up and you bid??? Do you say this is stupid and refuse to bid?

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-08, 13:08

View Postjohnu, on 2016-May-08, 12:37, said:

No, it only shows why you should be playing something like NMF or XYZ. Suppose you are playing with somebody who refuses to play any gadgets here. Do you get up and walk out of the club? Assuming you stay, this hand comes up and you bid??? Do you say this is stupid and refuse to bid?

Or you're playing rubber bridge in the UK where such conventions aren't allowed in many places

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-08, 15:16

In french style 1 denies support unless 10+, this means 2 is invitational, I though this was more or less standard, but I was wrong :)

#25 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-May-08, 21:22

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-May-07, 03:48, said:

The problem is that you might play in 2, how do you bid the same shape but a 6 count ?

Partner only had Kx, AKxxx, Kxx, xxx and passed for +170 the hard way

you must be joking your world class expert partners pass 2d when undiscussed?

1h=1s
1nt=2d
pass?

sorry but this really is a nonproblem. 2d easy
--------------------

Please keep in mind the rules of the game tell us pard and opp are true experts/wc.....we are not unless we are told otherwise in the OP.
----

btw if you are asking me how I show the same shape with a 6count.....I cannot promise/show this shape and a 6 count
-----

btw2 CYB if I ever had the honor of playing with you, and we did not discuss this auction....I would bid the same and never expect YOU to pass. :)

#26 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-09, 02:33

View Postmike777, on 2016-May-08, 21:22, said:

you must be joking your world class expert partners pass 2d when undiscussed?

1h=1s
1nt=2d
pass?

sorry but this really is a nonproblem. 2d easy
--------------------

Please keep in mind the rules of the game tell us pard and opp are true experts/wc.....we are not unless we are told otherwise in the OP.
----

btw if you are asking me how I show the same shape with a 6count.....I cannot promise/show this shape and a 6 count
-----

btw2 CYB if I ever had the honor of playing with you, and we did not discuss this auction....I would bid the same and never expect YOU to pass. :)

This is absolutely 100% NF in the UK undiscussed, it is placing the contract with a 4-6 or 5-5 with no game ambitions.

If checkback was being used, it would be 2 for a very large percentage of the population here with no distinction between inv/GF, so even then 2 would be NF.

If you bid it opposite me I would pass on any hand I hadn't miscounted my 1N rebid.

#27 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-May-10, 21:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-May-09, 02:33, said:

This is absolutely 100% NF in the UK undiscussed, it is placing the contract with a 4-6 or 5-5 with no game ambitions.

If checkback was being used, it would be 2 for a very large percentage of the population here with no distinction between inv/GF, so even then 2 would be NF.

If you bid it opposite me I would pass on any hand I hadn't miscounted my 1N rebid.

Ahhh Uk fair enough I yield to your expertise on this auction in the UK undiscussed. If you are playing with the top UK players and you pass this auction undiscussed...ok...

1h=1s
1nt=2d
?

---

btw I would not even disagree it is nonforcing in the USA...I just would never ever pass it playing with you or a true expert/wc undiscussed in the USA..Again per the rules of the "bidding challenge" we get to assume pard is a true expert/wc unless told otherwise in the OP.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users