• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question from a student

#1 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-04, 09:52

Reasonable Int+/Adv- player, playing with weaker partner in a small town club game. Multi-part question (sorry).

1)
What do you expect from North?

2)
What do you call if you play a) weak jump shifts; b) fit jumps in competition?

3) West will bid spades up to 2, and East will bid 4 whatever you or partner does. Your call a) if you passed? b) if you did whatever you wanted to do over double?

Spoiler

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-04, 10:08

1) standard reverse at least. 16+ points, 5+ clubs, 4 hearts.

2a) 2
2b) pass

3a) If partner has reversed into hearts, I would try 5 as a two way chance (it might make or be a good dive). If not, pass.
3b) pass if I made a wjs. I already told partner what I have, he can decide to pass, x, or 5.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-04, 11:41

#1 good hand, usually 64
#2a if it can be this weak, 2H,
#2b pass
#3a pass, if he reversed into heart 5H
#3b pass
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-04, 12:18

Hand 1)You have a super fit in hearts but very weak in points with 9 losers. Just bid 3
to fix the suit and leave the rest to partner. You've done what's been asked of you. Partner should expect
no more.

Hand 2) Pass without any thought. You are too weak to say anything
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-04, 14:28

2 is 6-4 at least. You can't commit to the 3 level without 5-5 or 6-4. Specially when outgunned.

South has a clear 4 bid once he passed, although I would bid 2 in my methods rather than pass

North has a clear pass over 1, if anything he could double.

The 5 bid with this huge double fit is pretty obvious.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-04, 14:36

mycroft, on 2016-May-04, 09:52, said:

Reasonable Int+/Adv- player, playing with weaker partner in a small town club game. Multi-part question (sorry).

1)
What do you expect from North?

2)
What do you call if you play a) weak jump shifts; b) fit jumps in competition?

3) West will bid spades up to 2, and East will bid 4 whatever you or partner does. Your call a) if you passed? b) if you did whatever you wanted to do over double?

Spoiler

1-Shape

2- a)2 b) 1

3- a)5 b) Pass
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-04, 14:44

mycroft, on 2016-May-04, 09:52, said:

I thought there was plenty blame to go around

IMO north just doesn't have his bid.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-May-04, 17:35

1) The hand should have reversing values and shows longer than . The strength is needed in case "responder" has to preference back to with nothing.

2a) 2 at this vulnerability (NV), would pass V. Typically, wjs's show less than 6 HCP, otherwise would bid 1 . If partner has a strong hand with a fit opposite a "6 and 6" hand, you may make too much. 2 should be a shutout bid.
2b) Pass unless 1 could be only 2, then you might consider a 1 bid. If partner ends up playing a 3-3 fit that may not be the end of the world.

3a) Pass, big fit but no distribution, would bid on with stiff .
3b) Pass, same reason.

I also think North doesn't have a 2 bid.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-05, 10:16

1) Opposite a partner who couldn't respond on the first round (even though the x took up no room at all) to describe 2 as merely a hand with 'reverse' strength is understatement. The hand should be HUGE in playing strength.

2) The Double shouldn't change the partnership's definition of a WJS, IMO. If it is zero to five, then 2.

Of no particular importance to anyone but me: I didn't think a fit jump responses to 1c even after a 1d overcall were played.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-06, 14:41

1) Undiscussed, I have no expectations about partner here. It's going to depend on what your meta-agreements (explicit or implied) about action over competition.

My preferred agreement would be that 2 shows shape (5+H, 6+C, any hand good enough to open), and hands worth a reverse would double here. Some weaker players I play with do understand this meta-idea that bids show shape and double shows strength, but some don't.

#11 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-11, 09:15

1) standard reverse-- 16+, shows at least 4 hearts, unclear length at least 4+ in minor (probably longer and distributional).
2)WJ to 2H-- can't bid higher than that-- remember partner hasn't shown hearts yet! WJS are to play regardless of what partner's hand because the WJS hand can't bid otherwise.
3) regardless of the WJS or the pass, partner shows under 5 points. You must have under 20. I don't really see a good sacrifice here over 4H-- ESPECIALLY VULNERABLE :-). sure you get maybe 5 heart tricks and maybe two more but you have no entries to the board for finessing besides trump. There's just too much missing here-- WJS shouldn't really be raised without a solid hand by opener (like AKQxx clubs Kxxx hearts where you see no more than 5 losers between the hands).

Edit: Just looked a the N/S hands. Just out of curiosity-- how were the hearts split? Looking at the 4 losers in North's hand it seems its shouldn't be bid (though it's really south's blame for not WJS at bid two-- they really can't raise at this point). It seems that's the deciding factor on what makes this board a top or bottom is how you snuff out the K of Hearts. I would say there's a lot of information here to make the call to win the heart play. Did they finesse through east? Did West have a singleton K of Hearts? It seems to be this could still be down 1 (which-- if this were at favorable vulnerability could be the right contract and result for a top).
:-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users