BBO Discussion Forums: 1D - 2D - 3NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

1D - 2D - 3NT 19 HCP - went off - no heart stop

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-06, 05:56

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-May-06, 04:58, said:

I don't think this is anything to do with weak NT. I play 15/16 NT, and 1 2 2 any is forcing, but this is with an unbalanced diamond, not a better minor type.

When opener has a weak NT and responder has a minimum do you sign off in 3 then?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-06, 11:09

I am confused. You describe a commonly used solution, noting you have recently adopted that solution in a partnership, and then ask if a solution exists. Well, you explained one solution that exists!

There is no reason that opener could not have bid the spade stopper, allowing the partnership to discover the wide open situation in the heart suit.

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-May-06, 14:13

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-May-06, 11:09, said:

I am confused. You describe a commonly used solution, noting you have recently adopted that solution in a partnership, and then ask if a solution exists. Well, you explained one solution that exists!

There is no reason that opener could not have bid the spade stopper, allowing the partnership to discover the wide open situation in the heart suit.

And this will ensure you of a bottom or a big loss when you play 4= and everybody else makes 3N either because they lead a spade or they only have 4 hearts to cash.

#24 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2016-May-07, 12:00

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-May-06, 11:09, said:

Now I am confused! I said we use inverted minors where responder bids 2 with 10+ points and opener can start cue bidding for stops at the 2 level. That's not the position with the hand I quoted. Playing inverted minors my partner would have responded 3 with 6-9 points, but now cue bidding would have to start at the 3 level, and I was asking if it was still a good idea. Several posters have said they would prefer to blast 3NT rather than cue bid and end up in 3NT with the strong hand on the table or in 4 having telegraphed weakness. I think it was a reasonable question and I got what I reckon is good advice.

#25 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-07, 16:07

I've played inverted minors where opener shows a stiff if he has one and blasts 3NT if he doesn't. With x rather than Qx, the defenders will find the heart lead whether you tip it or not, so finding out if partner can stop the suit is a good percentage bet. If your distribution is more balanced, there is a good chance they won't find the lead if you don't tip it. More sophisticated methods would allow responder to show a stiff as well, at least in the 1m-2m case.

#26 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 03:50

View PostVampyr, on 2016-May-06, 05:56, said:

When opener has a weak NT and responder has a minimum do you sign off in 3 then?

FromageGB opens 1C with a weak NT, so the question doesn't arise.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#27 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-10, 04:42

Playing weak nt, you should probably play the weak double raise is very tight since opener shouldn't have too much of a gamble with a balanced 16-19. You can probably afford to make the strong raise with 9 points, maybe even 8, especially in a 4-card major system where you don't need to be able to stop in 2NT.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-10, 06:02

View PostNickRW, on 2016-May-10, 03:50, said:

FromageGB opens 1C with a weak NT, so the question doesn't arise.

I thought an off-shape weak NT was implied.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users