• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cage Match I (me vs PhilG007)

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-04, 08:36

View Postjohnu, on 2016-May-03, 11:47, said:

The windows versions is very configurable. You can have the cards for the original South, declarer, or yourself displayed in the South position of the table. When BBO developed the web version, they regressed by eliminating this customization that was available in the previous version.

We only use the GIB code for the bidding and play on the server, it has nothing to do with how the hands are displayed.

#42 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-04, 09:59

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-04, 08:36, said:

We only use the GIB code for the bidding and play on the server, it has nothing to do with how the hands are displayed.
I don't think that you have grasped the nature of the complaint.

Someone, somewhere was responsible for coding the Flash interface, including the restrictions on how the human is placed on the screen, whether the hands are rotated etc between bidding and play, particularly when the "human declares as North". It is not relevant whether you call that part of "the GIB code" or not. Indeed better if it is not, because that would imply greater control on the part of BBO programmers

I know that BBO has experimented with this in the past, particularly with the mobile interface, ultimately settling (thankfully, from my perspective, but not johnu) on the current method of not rotating the hands but instead uprooting the human from the South seat and re-sitting him at North.

All that is being suggested is that for those such as johnu who prefer the temporary arrangement that you had at one time in place in the mobile skin, which is to keep the human at all times at the bottom of the screen and rotate the other hands as necessary, there should be an option in the settings to accommodate their preference. As long as it is a user-defined option, everyone is happy.

johnu was drawing a parallel with the Windows download client that did have more configuration flexibility than the Flash/mobile interfaces, although I cannot remember whether that extra flexibility extended to "human declares" robot tourneys (or even whether you can enter those tourneys through the download client - it is so long ago that I used that method).

I sympathise with johnu. Although my personal preference is catered for under the existing setup, I see no reason to deny others their pleasure.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#43 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-05, 19:35

Hand 6:

I rebid 1N, got a heart lead and quickly made 10.

PhilG007 rebid 2 and got a spade lead and failed. Win 10 more.

Random luck? Maybe a little, but GIB west perhaps thought there was a big trick source against PhilG and needed to get more aggressive.

Running score: Phil 30, Phil G 0
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#44 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-May-05, 19:48

Hand 7. I opened 1 and PhilG opened 1. 11 tricks were routine.

Running score:

Phil 30, PhilG007 0
Hi y'all!

#45 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-05, 20:00

Board 6

I imagine EBot, at Phil's table, has a few words to say to WBot after this hand!

I go along with the idea that with one hand bidding and rebidding clubs and the other hand bidding and jump rebidding diamonds an aggressive lead is likely. Another way of thinking about it: If we are not going to play in diamonds after 1C-1D-2C-3D then we might as well have bid 1NT after 1C-1D.

5D makes on a very lucky lie of the cards. 3NT obviously depends on the opening lead. All in all, I think I prefer taking my chances in 3NT. Unless I see all the hands.
On second though, maybe not. That lucky lead not only prevented the immediate set it provided the 9th trick.
3NT and 5D both require a good deal of good fortune.

Not that anyone asked fpr my opinion, but this is an interestnig collection of hands.
Ken

#46 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-May-05, 20:09

Hand 8

After playing a pretty strong set, I fell from grace. Picturing perhaps 3244 or 3352, I chose a spade lead. Even if I didn't blow up the spade suit or take declarer off a guess, I thought I might get the trick back.

PhilG made a more normal club lead and set the hand easily. 10 back.

Final score Phil 30, PhilG007 10.
Hi y'all!

#47 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-06, 04:52

View PostPhil, on 2016-May-05, 19:35, said:

View PostPhil, on 2016-May-05, 19:35, said:

Hand 6:

I rebid 1N, got a heart lead and quickly made 10.

PhilG007 rebid 2 and got a spade lead and failed. Win 10 more.

Random luck? Maybe a little, but GIB west perhaps thought there was a big trick source against PhilG and needed to get more aggressive.

Running score: Phil 30, Phil G 0

FWIW I think a spade lead is marked on both auctions. If E has the strength we need to have a shot at beating this but couldn't overcall 1, it's hard to imagine setting up hearts is our best bet (and KTx is an awkward holding to lead away from, at least vs a human partner).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#48 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-06, 05:12

These hands show why bridge is so interesting. Exotic conventions play little or not role, we have to make close decisions, and it's not that rare to be in a contract where the result depends on choices, often not clearcut.

I do think I would lead a spade on board 6 on practically any auction but of course I am looking at the hands. Still, I think so. An auction showing long minors should resolve any doubt.

I don't play much with the Gibs, I find it frustrating. I am not claiming I am better than they are, but they do seem different from humans.
Ken

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users