BBO Discussion Forums: What does this RKCB response mean? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this RKCB response mean?

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-28, 00:13

I got a bit confused when Gib bid my queen. What was it trying to tell me?

(I believe this was in one of the birthday tournaments, whichever version of Gib was used in those.)

#2 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-28, 01:33

It's common for the 5 to show either the Q OR undisclosed extra length. It looks like GIB had evaluated based on that.

On this deal, North knows his side is in at least a 10 card fit so even missing the Q there's about a 90% chance of no spade loser.

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 01:50

WesleyC, on 2016-April-28, 01:33, said:

It's common for the 5 to show either the Q OR undisclosed extra length. It looks like GIB had evaluated based on that.

On this deal, North knows his side is in at least a 10 card fit so even missing the Q there's about a 90% chance of no spade loser.

Ah yep, that makes sense. Thanks.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-30, 07:36

Gib, good job !

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-30, 08:59

Yes it assumes, perhaps reasonably although not underwritten by Lloyds, that South has the Ace, without which knowledge of the Queen is somewhat more relevant than the extra length (unless you have 2 extra I guess).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-30, 14:05

Of course, I am very glad to see such hand.
In fact, it was discussed on this forum in the past..
It seems that the programers have taken note of and fix such type of problems.
So here we have to say : Gib, good job !

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-May-01, 02:16

The problem that we are talking and seeing perhaps can be considered (if as work-in-progress) in amplied manner : when a convention must be tested, it being spade the highest suit, in first step is ok but subsequently needs to consider the case of other suits involved in bidding. In this case if spade and heart suits are traded what is the answer if is started 4NT ?

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 12:18

Lovera, on 2016-May-01, 02:16, said:

The problem that we are talking and seeing perhaps can be considered (if as work-in-progress) in amplied manner : when a convention must be tested, it being spade the highest suit, in first step is ok but subsequently needs to consider the case of other suits involved in bidding. In this case if spade and heart suits are traded what is the answer if is started 4NT ?

GIB does not play kickback RKC Blackwood and IIRC, all responses are the same no matter what the trump suit is.

#9 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 13:34

johnu, on 2016-May-01, 12:18, said:

GIB does not play kickback RKC Blackwood and IIRC, all responses are the same no matter what the trump suit is.

My interrogatif was pleonastic: infact with heart agree trump the answer is ( the same ) 5 than forcing 6 now and we are off contract (that is the point).

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 14:01

Lovera, on 2016-May-01, 13:34, said:

My interrogatif was pleonastic: infact with heart agree trump the answer is ( the same ) 5 than forcing 6 now and we are off contract (that is the point).

If you don't play Kickback (and Kickback needs some discussion to avoid disasters), you always have the problem of getting too high depending on the trump suit. The vast majority of players don't play Kickback. Don't use Blackwood if you can't handle the response. If you are off 2 keycards after a 2 keycard + trump queen response, why were you taking control of the auction with only 1 keycard? And that's the point.

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 14:22

johnu, on 2016-May-01, 14:01, said:

If you don't play Kickback (and Kickback needs some discussion to avoid disasters), you always have the problem of getting too high depending on the trump suit. The vast majority of players don't play Kickback. Don't use Blackwood if you can't handle the response. If you are off 2 keycards after a 2 keycard + trump queen response, why were you taking control of the auction with only 1 keycard? And that's the point.

Hi johnu: here we are talking about the same cards and bidding in post #1 with the difference that spade and heart are inverted than 4NT is "Blackwood [H]" now (instead of "Blackwood [S] by smarriman as explanation of 4NT).

#12 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-01, 15:30

Lovera, on 2016-May-01, 13:34, said:

Yes, it can be an issue if is trumps and the 4NT-bidder has trump-queen himself and only 1 ace,
i.e. he wants to be in slam only when pd has 3 Aces (but not 2 aces + extra trump length).

So consequently, if you play this method and want go the safe way, he should not bid 4NT but quebid instead, and let his pd take command.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-May-01, 22:13

Swap the majors in the hand at post 1 and it goes
1H-3S-4H-P
Opener had an opportunity to cue below game and declined to do so. So no incentive to RKCB whether kickback or standard.
On the actual hand post 1 we do not have that info although 4S is discouraging but more vague.

I can't remember getting too high with standard RKCB when Hearts are trump and 5S is responded with no slam on.

But the issue gets more pronounced the lower ranking the trump suit. GIB uses 4N as RKCB with Clubs as trump (and seldom uses any other slam try). And THAT I think is a big issue.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#14 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-May-01, 23:10

1eyedjack, on 2016-May-01, 22:13, said:

Swap the majors in the hand at post 1 and it goes
1H-3S-4H-P
Opener had an opportunity to cue below game and declined to do so. So no incentive to RKCB whether kickback or standard.
On the actual hand post 1 we do not have that info although 4S is discouraging but more vague.

I can't remember getting too high with standard RKCB when Hearts are trump and 5S is responded with no slam on.

But the issue gets more pronounced the lower ranking the trump suit. GIB uses 4N as RKCB with Clubs as trump (and seldom uses any other slam try). And THAT I think is a big issue.

Very good reply.
Here I will prove 1eyedjack' s point is correct.
So I would make a analog hand at first according to post #1, and swap the majors.

Result : 4N+1

Then I would seat south and bid 3 to make a splinter raise and 4N , now let's see how does Gib answer RKCB.

Result : 6N-1

Gib really answer 5 even when is as trumph, so it is a big issue.
Many thanks to 1eyedjack.

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-May-02, 00:01

The problem may be in the decision by South to move over 4H rather than the failure to use kickback.. Trouble is, we cannot replicate what GIB would do faced with that decision because we now know that it would never be faced with that decision as it would respond 2N rather than 3S. With which I have a lot of sympathy.

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-03, 15:39

My intervention on this topic about argoument is that situation has happened to myself once in the same way yet if with better cards by my partner (that had two Aces). When i was reading indications to solve i think that is get round problem without solving but instead moving the point. It needs, i think, as few as possible to change bidding remaining with convention used (by GIB or with a common/random partner). As it to say : GIB converts information by splinter in 10-card fit for the RKB bidding 5 and, although, is already at this level the problem. That, when doesn't occur it(=splinter and four cards support) allows (if the case) to play at the "safe" fifth level. I infact suggested that in bidding of this type, with minimal informations by partner starting 4NT and with heart suit agree only plus an Ace and King of heart "to lie" about longness in trump so to bid 5 instead 5 (see my topic "Slam bidding from Relaxed Club" in Interesting Bridge Hands).

#17 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-03, 16:07

lycier, on 2016-May-01, 23:10, said:

Then I would seat south and bid 3 to make a splinter raise and 4N , now let's see how does Gib answer RKCB.

A big LOL for GIBs bid of 5NT showing all the keycards, even though missing 2. Maybe GIB bid 5NT and folded up his cards and crossed his arms expecting partner to figure out that 5NT was to play. :P

In the distant past before the advent of Kickback, 5 when possible in this type of sequence asked responder to bid 5NT. I'm not sure if this is still being taught to new players.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users