Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

voice computer programs

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-27, 20:15

A friend had a heart attack over the holidays and is now suffering from double vision which is making her feel depressed and isolated. She had a cataract operation some years ago and has had perfect vision since until this. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good voice activated (is that the term?) programs which would enable her to deal with things such as email, although I'm sure she would love to be able to participate again on BBO, should that be possible.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such programs that they could recommend or how a person would go about finding a good one?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-28, 09:18

I haven't used it much myself, but Apple computers have voice control built in. I'm not sure it works for dictating email, but you can activate menu commands and click buttons. For dictating, I think Dragon Dictation is considered the standard-bearer.

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 09:52

I'm sorry onoway, I don't know where you are, but looking up your country's equivalent of the CNIB should help - it certainly did with my relatives. It's likely that the CNIB web site et al. will be helpful even if you are not Canadian, at least when it comes to suggested online tools.

Double vision is rough, especially with numbers.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 16:53

I am in Canada but my friend is an American. None of us thought of the CNIB or it's equivalent, and unfortunately she doesn't have an Apple as far as I know. I'll check out Dragon Dictation and see what it says, and also contact the CNIB for suggestions. Thank you both

#5 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-12, 12:41

Just heard from a friend who's been using Dragon for 4 years. Still uses it. Has to recalibrate it every 4 or 5 months. If you find something better, please post here.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users