• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is it me?

#1 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-April-27, 08:56

Maybe its just a phase I'm going through or having an evil mind but it would seem these Forums are becoming
more and more 'Masonic'. Taken over by a select 'clique' clientele who don't respect the opinions and
views of others on these discussion boards. On more than one occasion,when I dared to disagree with one of these
people,I was blasted wholesale and accused of being a 'troll'. In truth, the arrogance and conceit I've witnessed here beggars belief.
Clearly the bad manners and disrespect they display at the bridge table they also bring to these discussion boards.
The BBO Management should be thinking about bringing Moderators to police these Forums before a really serious situation develops :(
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-April-27, 08:57

Yes it's you. This elite clique you are talking about consists of the N-1 posters on BBF.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 09:00

View Postgwnn, on 2016-April-27, 08:57, said:

Yes it's you. This elite clique you are talking about consists of the N-1 posters on BBF.

Can you prove that with your usual 'flawless logic' (?!) <_<

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 09:26

Well put it this way: Do you see other posters getting the same treatment from this "clique"? If not, then maybe instrospection is called for.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 09:29

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-27, 08:56, said:

The BBO Management should be thinking about bringing Moderators to police these Forums before a really serious situation develops :(

There are moderators. Presumably they don't see things the same way as you, either.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 09:42

I will give you the courtesy of an honest and snark-free reply Phil.

There is a ... spectrum, you might say, of disagreement. Some assertions fall under difference of opinion. Others are simply wrong. In truth, a fair number of your contributions are in the latter category.

This by itself is does not warrant ridicule. As one of the weakest players that post here regularly, I often find myself corrected as well. It is your unwillingness to accept correction, from an overwhelming consensus of very strong players, that sets you apart.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2016-April-27, 09:45

There are, indeed, posters who respectfully disagree with those they know (or those with a name) --- and feel free to be less courteous to others.

However, I believe the way we word things has a lot to do with the blowback we get. Also, IMHO, posting a question/issue and then "going into the well" by responding to everyone's replies 0ne-by-one is bad form.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-April-27, 09:51

Just pointing out that the BBO management HAS appointed monitors.

I run afoul of them more frequently than I should...
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-27, 11:38

I think this post from mikeh back in June pretty much explained the whole thing to you and that was some time ago. It would be nice if you were open to learn and benefit from these forums. It is also fine if you prefer not to learn, just do not expect everyone else to support your views in that case.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-April-27, 12:49

BTW, in answer to your original question, the answer is a resounding "Yes".

You are the problem that needs to be fixed.
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-27, 13:09

Hi Phil.

Think of the forums as a community. Many of us have been in the community for a long time - about 10 years or so.

People come on the scene and are disruptive for various reasons. Some are annoying beyond the pale, some spout lies and mistruths about global warming and other important issues and some want to use the forums to show off how their pet gadget magically solves the bidding problem of the day.

The worst offenders are the ones that cruise in and pick fights with respected members of the community instead of being deferential. There is a common trait of a lot of reasonable bridge players where they believe their action is correct and won't listen to better players. Confidence in bridge is a good thing, but it can retard your development.

Then there are trolls. A troll isn't a person that hangs out under a bridge. A troll is someone that makes statements that people gets pissed off at. Calling the community a bunch of masonic elites is being a troll. Making comments about how great a player you are since you have red points but disdain negative doubles is being a bridge troll.

Trolls can either rehabilitate or can expect continual retribution. So if youd,like some constructive ideas about how to fit in, just ask and people will be happy to help.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 14:34

View PostPhil, on 2016-April-27, 13:09, said:

Then there are trolls. A troll isn't a person that hangs out under a bridge. A troll is someone that makes statements that people gets pissed off at. Calling the community a bunch of masonic elites is being a troll. Making comments about how great a player you are since you have red points but disdain negative doubles is being a bridge troll.

Trolls can either rehabilitate or can expect continual retribution. So if youd,like some constructive ideas about how to fit in, just ask and people will be happy to help.

Strictly speaking, I believe that the term "troll" (or its verb "trolling") refers to people who knowingly post drivel for the express intended purpose of causing irritation, argument, or discord.

Some here have stated their opinion that PhilG007 is one such. Personally I am not convinced of this; I still find it plausible that he believes what he is saying. (Hanlon's razor)
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 14:49

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-27, 14:34, said:

I still find it plausible that he believes what he is saying. (Hanlon's razor)

I'm convinced of it, which makes his posts all the more entertaining. I have an admittedly sick curiosity about just how laughable his next post will be.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-27, 18:47

View Postgordontd, on 2016-April-27, 09:29, said:

There are moderators. Presumably they don't see things the same way as you, either.

We don't monitor aggressively, we generally only take action when someone complains about eggregious behavior via the Report button.

#15 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 00:21

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-April-27, 12:49, said:

BTW, in answer to your original question, the answer is a resounding "Yes".

You are the problem that needs to be fixed.

You might think that...but I couldn't possibly comment(!) <_<

#16 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 00:30

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-27, 14:34, said:

Strictly speaking, I believe that the term "troll" (or its verb "trolling") refers to people who knowingly post drivel for the express intended purpose of causing irritation, argument, or discord.

Some here have stated their opinion that PhilG007 is one such. Personally I am not convinced of this; I still find it plausible that he believes what he is saying. (Hanlon's razor)

"I still find it plausible that he believes what he is saying"
Of course I do...doesn't everyone (?!) <_< <_<

#17 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 00:32

View Postmasse24, on 2016-April-27, 14:49, said:

I'm convinced of it, which makes his posts all the more entertaining. I have an admittedly sick curiosity about just how laughable his next post will be.

Is that a confession..(?) I'm not a priest(!) <_<

#18 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 00:37

View PostPhil, on 2016-April-27, 13:09, said:

Hi Phil.

Think of the forums as a community. Many of us have been in the community for a long time - about 10 years or so.

People come on the scene and are disruptive for various reasons. Some are annoying beyond the pale, some spout lies and mistruths about global warming and other important issues and some want to use the forums to show off how their pet gadget magically solves the bidding problem of the day.

The worst offenders are the ones that cruise in and pick fights with respected members of the community instead of being deferential. There is a common trait of a lot of reasonable bridge players where they believe their action is correct and won't listen to better players. Confidence in bridge is a good thing, but it can retard your development.

In other words you think I am a rebel without a cause. Sorry,but I have to disagree. I am a rebel WITH an cause...and the cause is anti dogma.

#19 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-28, 01:17

Phil, see if this sheds any light: I was once a member a a forum devoted to a particular programming language. This one new poster was continually saying that this language was the best ever designed, except for this one feature which it was imperative to change immediately. However, that one feature was part of the language from the beginning and the most significant feature which made the language different from other languages. This poster was clearly and obviously wrong to the point that his error would be recognized by a fair number of intelligent non-programmers; but he refused to accept even the gentlest correction from the language developers and experienced users who had been using the language since version 1.0 (when these events happened, it was version 3.3). Now I will concede that you are not a new poster and that designing a bidding system is not exactly the same as designing a programming language, but with that in mind, look at yourself in a mirror and tell yourself whether you resemble the new poster on the programming language forum.

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-April-28, 01:56

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-27, 09:00, said:

Can you prove that with your usual 'flawless logic' (?!) <_<

Look in this thread and see how many people support you. The most positive post I have seen about you was in another thread and amounted to "I'm opposed to banning posters for stupidity." Inductive reasoning is not exactly flawless so my N-1 estimate is not necessarily accurate, but if there were a secret fanbase of yours they would very likely have spoken up already.

bottom line: PhilG007 is a bit outdated and needs certain repairs. We would need to wait until PhilG015 at least until they are allowed in the wild again, but more probably, the next line, PhilHxxx, is our best bet.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users