• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is it me?

#101 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-06, 13:25

I'm curious about one thing about these challenge matches. There are 3 types of match scoring to choose from
1)IMPs 2) MPs 3) Total points It seems the challenger alone has the choice of what type of scoring
the match shall be played in. I don't think that this is entirely fair as it gives the challenger an advantage.If one looks on these matches as a kind of duel,in olden days,when a duel was fought,it was the challenged party who was offered the choice of weapons.
The same should happen here,the challenger should offer his opponent the choice of format before play begins. Good idea or not?
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#102 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-06, 14:09

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-06, 13:25, said:

I'm curious about one thing about these challenge matches. There are 3 types of match scoring to choose from
1)IMPs 2) MPs 3) Total points It seems the challenger alone has the choice of what type of scoring
the match shall be played in. I don't think that this is entirely fair as it gives the challenger an advantage.If one looks on these matches as a kind of duel,in olden days,when a duel was fought,it was the challenged party who was offered the choice of weapons.
The same should happen here,the challenger should offer his opponent the choice of format before play begins. Good idea or not?

I can't believe it matters that much. If you lose to someone at IMPs, turn around and challenge them at MPs. Total points isn't bridge anymore.

By the way, my record at IMPs vs GIBs is substantially worse than MPs. Not sure about others.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#103 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-06, 15:00

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-May-06, 13:25, said:

The idea as some merit. At least, it would not in any way diminish the experience if a fourth option were available: format open to challenged party. But then, what about number of hands? Leave that open also? That does not seem very workable.

I guess that if you feel strongly about it you could decline the challenge but immediately reissue a challenge back again on your preferred terms. That could go back and forth a few times until agreement is reached.

Or you could just agree terms off the books, before resorting to the software.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#104 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-06, 15:06

The challenger should at least have an option - you don't want to have to issue an open ended challenge to someone if you don't know in what form they'll accept it and you have no interest in (say) Total Points.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#105 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-07, 15:24

I think treating this like a "duel" is the wrong way to think of it. It's an invitation to play in a game with you. If someone invites you to play golf with them you wouldn't think of showing up with a tennis racket because you're a better tennis player than golfer, would you? It's not an adversarial action where each party needs to be able to negotiate, it's a friendly game.

BTW, suggestions like these should probably be posted in Suggestions for the Software, not here.

#106 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-07, 15:49

View Postbarmar, on 2016-May-07, 15:24, said:

If someone invites you to play golf with them you wouldn't think of showing up with a tennis racket because you're a better tennis player than golfer, would you?

True, but I might suggest a round of matchplay once in a while if we are usually just playing to par.
(-: Zel :-)

#107 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-07, 15:54

The suggestion does have merit, but there's nothing stopping you from exchanging email first to agree on the terms, and then one of you issues the challenge.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users