• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random minor openings

#1 User is offline   szgyula 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-25, 02:26

Dear All,

Just a quick question about "random minor openings": A pair plays a standard based system where (lacking a 5 card major) any 3 card minor can be opened. Thus, the minor bid only denies the 5 card majors and promises 3 cards in that suit. Nothing more, nothing less. If both minors have three, there is no definite rule about which one to bid: For 33 or 44, either one can be bid. For 43 it is not obviously defined, either -- in some cases the short may be opened. For 53 it is the longer.

I think the general idea behind is to make defense harder when the likely end contract is NT. Or something like that. My understanding is that it is truly (close to) random...

Now the questions:

1. What is it: green/red/brown?
2. Do you alert?
3. What is the proper explanation of this bid?

Thanks,

Gyula

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-25, 05:07

View Postszgyula, on 2016-April-25, 02:26, said:

I do this myself, and see no reason it wouldn't be green.

2. Do you alert?

In most 3-card minor openings are not alertable. I don't think it is any different if there might be a 4-card minor on the side; you might have this when opening a 5-card major as well.

Natural, at least three cards.

This post has been edited by barmar: 2016-April-25, 09:03
Reason for edit: fix quoting

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 05:14

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-25, 05:07, said:

In most 3-card minor openings are not alertable. I don't think it is any different if there might be a 4-card minor on the side; you might have this when opening a 5-card major as well.

I agree that no alert is required. And it is perfectly permissible to open the 3-card minor when the other minor has four cards, either systemically, or tactically, provided the opponents are told that with 3-3 in the minors we can open whichever we choose and with (4 3) in the minors we may open the three card suit to prevent the lead, or for whatever reason one might. In some systems 1 tends to show an unbalanced hand, and that must be disclosed too.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#4 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-25, 07:24

It's cmpletely dependant on the local regulations and I've not the faintest idea what these are in Hungary, let alone those of the setting in which you play. FWIIW, In principle not alertable according to the Dutch regulations, but I would prefer a prealert to warn opponents that in some cases you can open 43 in the minors with the shortest of the two and also that a 44 is not by definition opened with 1. In principle, because you have to alert any bid with a meaning that the opps might not expect.
Joost

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-25, 07:30

The problem is that they're not random. Over a period of time, the pair concerned will build up an understanding which hands they open the 3 rather than the 4, or whether they tend to open the better of 3-3/4-4s, and they need to be able to explain this to opps.

#6 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 08:09

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-April-25, 07:30, said:

Over a period of time, the pair concerned will build up an understanding…

That is of course the theory. Yet I have the impression that people think this period is fairly short, and the same for all pairs, and I don't think either of those is necessarily true. This makes it much more difficult for the director to determine if such an understanding has in fact developed.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-25, 09:05

The problem is that they're not random. Over a period of time, the pair concerned will build up an understanding which hands they open the 3 rather than the 4, or whether they tend to open the better of 3-3/4-4s, and they need to be able to explain this to opps.

As I think I've mentioned before, my regular partner for the past 15 years varies which minor he opens when 4-4, and I still haven't picked up on his logic. At least, not consciously. And I don't think I do anything in my responses to cater to his 1 opening possibly being 4-4 minors.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:07

2. Do you alert?

1. Presumably WBF codes? Looks green to me.
2. I think an alert is generally a good idea as it has a potentially unexpected meaning (canapé) but obviously it depends on the jurisdiction. Most WBF events use screens and then it is obvious to alert imho.
3. Exactly what the agreements are, both explicit and implicit. As CY mentions, there are usually some clear patterns amidst the noise and the opps are entitled to know about those.

As an aside, if you are playing this method you might need a slightly thick skin in the current bridge atmosphere. This method is particularly sensitive to illicit signals being passed to partner, which might attract the odd "humourous" (barbed) comment from other pairs along the way.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-25, 08:09, said:

That is of course the theory. Yet I have the impression that people think this period is fairly short, and the same for all pairs, and I don't think either of those is necessarily true. This makes it much more difficult for the director to determine if such an understanding has in fact developed.

Playing a weak NT the period is probably longer, since many hands with three or four cards In the minors will open 1NT.

But I must admit that I have not really paid attention, and have little idea what my regular partner does when he is 3-3, 3-4 or 4-4 in the minors. I can say for myself that it is very rare that I open a 3-card minor when I have a 4-card minor on the side.

Perhaps Gordon can advise what is best for disclosure in a jurisdiction in which pre-alerts are very uncommon.. Perhaps just when you give your basic system at the beginning of a round say something like "five-card majors, a minor promises three"?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:20

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-25, 10:11, said:

Perhaps just when you give your basic system at the beginning of a round say something like "five-card majors, a minor promises three"?

This is certainly not enough as it is the canapé that is unexpected and that is not addressed here at all. I would feel quite put out if Opener showed out on the 4th round of clubs after a 1 opening and playing them for (43)33 proved a mistake when they really held 3343 or (24)43.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:25

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-25, 10:20, said:

This is certainly not enough as it is the canapé that is unexpected and that is not addressed here at all. I would feel quite put out if Opener showed out on the 4th round of clubs after a 1 opening and playing them for (43)33 proved a mistake when they really held 3343 or (24)43.

It is not really canapé; the second suit is never shown or catered for. And in fact when I open a 3-card suit I tend to have a longer suit somewhere. Should every minor-suit opening (when 3 is allowed) be alerted and explained as "promises 3 cards. If she has only three cards it is not her longest suit".

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:48

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-25, 10:25, said:

It is not really canapé; the second suit is never shown or catered for. And in fact when I open a 3-card suit I tend to have a longer suit somewhere. Should every minor-suit opening (when 3 is allowed) be alerted and explained as "promises 3 cards. If she has only three cards it is not her longest suit".

No, just those where the shorter minor is opened. This is not so dissimilar to the practise Mollo joked about: "Weaker minor I presume?"

#13 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-April-25, 14:54

I would think that "if she has 3 cards in the suit opened, she has a longer suit" is an inference drawn from "matters generally known to bridge players". :ph34r: B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-25, 15:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-25, 14:54, said:

I would think that "if she has 3 cards in the suit opened, she has a longer suit" is an inference drawn from "matters generally known to bridge players". :ph34r: B-)

Yeah, but it's normally a major rather than Om

#15 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-April-25, 15:40

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-April-25, 15:15, said:

Yeah, but it's normally a major rather than Om

Then I would suggest "she might be 4333 with four in the other minor".
--------------------

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-April-25, 16:41

This is an interesting theory, however, it has no bearing on how the game is actually administered.

(If it did, the Rosenberg - Zia partnership would have been in big trouble for a very long time)
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-April-25, 17:38

Dear All,Just a quick question about "random minor openings": A pair plays a standard based system where (lacking a 5 card major) any 3 card minor can be opened. Thus, the minor bid only denies the 5 card majors and promises 3 cards in that suit. Nothing more, nothing less. If both minors have three, there is no definite rule about which one to bid: For 33 or 44, either one can be bid. For 43 it is not obviously defined, either -- in some cases the short may be opened. For 53 it is the longer.I think the general idea behind is to make defense harder when the likely end contract is NT. Or something like that. My understanding is that it is truly (close to) random...Now the questions:

2. Do you alert?

IMO
  • Green. System regulation is chauvinist and political - tailored to confer an advantage on local professionals and their clients. Hence, some regulators define 3 and even 2-card minor-suit openers as "Natural".
  • A matter of regulation. But IMO, yes, if, for example, you open can open 1, holding 3 s and 4+ s.
  • The truth e.g. szgyula's description above.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-25, 18:08

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-25, 15:40, said:

Then I would suggest "she might be 4333 with four in the other minor".

Why only this shape?

#19 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-April-25, 19:08

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-25, 18:08, said:

Why only this shape?

(shrug) Because it sounds to me like an accurate description. If other shapes could be included, then those should be stated in the explanation. Presumably, these would be (42)(34) shapes, unless this pair are going to open 1m in a 3 card suit when holding a 5 card or longer second suit.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-25, 19:41

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-25, 19:08, said:

(shrug) Because it sounds to me like an accurate description. If other shapes could be included, then those should be stated in the explanation. Presumably, these would be (42)(34) shapes, unless this pair are going to open 1m in a 3 card suit when holding a 5 card or longer second suit.

Explain all shapes now? I think that "could be three" is enough.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users