• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double or not?

#21 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-30, 08:27

Pass
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-01, 01:33

I see many people who think double is penalty, but I though it was standard that double shows clubs, not diamonds, and a stronger hand. Partner will rarely pass the double

#23 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2016-May-01, 01:52

Well, if double is not penalty I don't double. But what else can it be? If I wanted to show spades I had a previous chance, and partner has already shown 6H.

#24 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-01, 11:10

View Postmcphee, on 2016-April-29, 02:38, said:

So tell me what we have that takes tricks? Lets say we have 3 diamond tricks, we are now required to find at least 2 more to beat it one, a whopping 100. Where are those other 2 coming from? OK maybe we have a H trick, but this is not a sure thing. I do not expect to get rich defending frankly, unless the D bidder is some lunatic. The D bidder should hold a nice 6/5,AQ10xx AKQxxx and 2 major cards. On a bad day for defenders 3D could easily be a make. Even though this is pairs, I am not risking dble and in spite of my "wealth" will pass.

Maybe the question you should ask is where are their tricks? Even opposite your cherry 5-6, I count 5 for them.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 15:12

View PostFluffy, on 2016-May-01, 01:33, said:

I see many people who think double is penalty, but I though it was standard that double shows clubs, not diamonds, and a stronger hand. Partner will rarely pass the double

Oh, hell no! This double includes the hand type you are talking about, but definitely is not spared only for that hand type you are talking about.
It does no mean "please bid something to the choice of your misfit pd if they do not run to clubs!"

Partner will almost ALWAYS pass this double, so I completely disagree on this too.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 15:12

dbl post
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 15:51

View PostFluffy, on 2016-May-01, 01:33, said:

RHO has already overcalled 2. Why would you want to show clubs? With some cards and 4+ spades, you may have made a negative double after 2, so you usually don't want to suggest playing in spades. If you had heart support, you probably would have supported hearts. I would expect partner to pass the double almost all the time except with a very distributional hand not suited for defending.

#28 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-01, 16:50

What I mean is that double would be more a hand like:

Kxx
xx
KJx
AJ9xx

Obviously double suggest playing here, but it is not an impossition. And maybe we have too many diamonds to expect partner to pass.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users