BBO Discussion Forums: A simple opening poll - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A simple opening poll with possible unpleasant rebid

Poll: A simple opening poll (55 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you open?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1C (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 1D (43 votes [78.18%])

Percentage of vote: 78.18%

4. 1H (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

5. 1S (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

6. 1NT (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-24, 05:38

MPs scoring (simultaneous pairs if it matters)
You are playing for the first time with a new partner who is of a reasonable standard (probably Advanced by BBO definitions). You have agreed to play 5 card majors with better minor, weak NT and otherwise Acol-style. What do you open here?

Rebid problems:
If you open 1C -
Spoiler

If you open 1D -
Spoiler

If you open 1H/S -
Spoiler

If you open 1NT -
Spoiler

Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 05:58

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-April-24, 05:38, said:

Rebid problems:
If you open 1D -
Spoiler

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 06:46

1, if the minimum for a 2/1 is 9 (or less) as it is for us I rebid 2, if 10+ I'll essay a GF 2N.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-April-24, 06:58

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-April-24, 06:46, said:

1, if the minimum for a 2/1 is 9 (or less) as it is for us I rebid 2, if 10+ I'll essay a GF 2N.

I open 1 and rebid 2
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-24, 08:09

In the version of Acol I play, I open this hand 1 and rebid 2, which is played as F1R. Even without that agreement I think it is worth the risk of being dropped in a silly spot to have a better auction on the majority of hands. I would take CY's 2NT rebid in preference to the 1 opening.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-24, 08:23

At MPs in 3rd seat, opening this hand anything other than 1 is criminal.

The 1 bid takes away the opponents chance to bid at the 1 level and will get our side off to the winning lead whenever LHO wins the auction.

Partner's 2 response gives us an ugly problem. Playing ACOL we've got little choice but to try 2 and hope for the best.

FWIW, partner should bid 2 sparingly as a passed hand at MPs for exactly this reason.

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 09:33

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-April-24, 08:23, said:

At MPs in 3rd seat, opening this hand anything other than 1 is criminal.

The 1 bid takes away the opponents chance to bid at the 1 level and will get our side off to the winning lead whenever LHO wins the auction.

Partner's 2 response gives us an ugly problem. Playing ACOL we've got little choice but to try 2 and hope for the best.

FWIW, partner should bid 2 sparingly as a passed hand at MPs for exactly this reason.

Why do you imagine it's their hand - why can't you just bid your own hand so as to reach the best game when it's our hand?

If we were playing Acol (not ACOL) the correct opening would be 1H. But we aren't since we are playing 5cM, which is why it's a problem.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 11:11

Even playing Acol with 4-card majors, I open 1D and will rebid 2D if necessary. I have never yet been left to play in 2D. This is becoming increasingly popular in Acol. It is very unattractive to open a major, rebid a second suit and imply a five-card suit in the major. I would much rather show a "five-card" diamond suit.

Second choice is to open 1NT.

#9 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 12:11

View Postgordontd, on 2016-April-24, 09:33, said:

Why do you imagine it's their hand - why can't you just bid your own hand so as to reach the best game when it's our hand?

If we were playing Acol (not ACOL) the correct opening would be 1H. But we aren't since we are playing 5cM, which is why it's a problem.

I agree that holding 14 HCP (in 3rd seat) our side is a favourite to hold the balance of points (maybe 70%/30%) but that doesn't mean the opponents will give up and pass throughout, especially when they are favourable. By far the most likely scenario on this deal is that points are split relatively evenly and we're about to fight a part-score battle.

In this context, I think system structure should take a backseat to tactics, especially when holding an already awkward hand like this.

Opening 1H might help us find a heart fit that might otherwise be missed, but it might also lead to us playing a weak 4/3 heart fit and missing spades altogether. I'm a lot more confident opening 1S because of the lead directing potential and the fact that a 4/3 fit there will definitely be playable.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-24, 12:20

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-April-24, 08:23, said:

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-April-24, 12:11, said:

In this context, I think system structure should take a backseat to tactics, especially when holding an already awkward hand like this.

Tactically, why are you worried about the opps bidding one of our strong 4 card suits holding a good defensive hand?
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-24, 14:45

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-April-24, 12:11, said:

I agree that holding 14 HCP (in 3rd seat) our side is a favourite to hold the balance of points (maybe 70%/30%) but that doesn't mean the opponents will give up and pass throughout, especially when they are favourable. By far the most likely scenario on this deal is that points are split relatively evenly and we're about to fight a part-score battle.

Opening 1H might help us find a heart fit that might otherwise be missed, but it might also lead to us playing a weak 4/3 heart fit and missing spades altogether. I'm a lot more confident opening 1S because of the lead directing potential and the fact that a 4/3 fit there will definitely be playable.

What are you bidding over partner's 1N ?

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-April-24, 16:01

Easy 1 bid in 3rd seat opposite a passed partner. If partner raises I can make a try (short in or long in . If partner responds in we are off to a good start.
Happy to pass partner's 1N and make a move if partner tries Drury.

Over natural 2, will rebid 2N.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-April-24, 16:47

I'm bidding 1 which is an exception to our agreements. But after a 1 opening, I don't want to potentially have to rebid 2 on Jxxx to limit my hand.

#14 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 20:26

MPs scoring (simultaneous pairs if it matters)
You are playing for the first time with a new partner who is of a reasonable standard (probably Advanced by BBO definitions). You have agreed to play 5 card majors with better minor, weak NT and otherwise Acol-style. What do you open here?

Rebid problems:
If you open 1C -
Spoiler

If you open 1D -
Spoiler

If you open 1H/S -
Spoiler

If you open 1NT -
Spoiler

these type of hands must be common, very common over the decades of Acol....is there not a standard, reasonably accepted way to handle them?

#15 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-April-24, 20:51

View Postrmnka447, on 2016-April-24, 16:47, said:

I'm bidding 1 which is an exception to our agreements. But after a 1 opening, I don't want to potentially have to rebid 2 on Jxxx to limit my hand.

Not an Acol guy here but I think so far we are the only votes for 1.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-April-24, 21:48

MPs scoring (simultaneous pairs if it matters)You are playing for the first time with a new partner who is of a reasonable standard (probably Advanced by BBO definitions). You have agreed to play 5 card majors with better minor, weak NT and otherwise Acol-style. What do you open here?
I rank
  • 1 = NAT. Best chance of finding a fit. After a 2 reply, Pass or follow Gordontd's advice and rebid 2.
  • 1 = NAT. 5 cards. Well, it looks like 5 cards to Hrothgar and me. Over 2, rebid 2.
  • 1 = NAT. 5 cards, More of a lie. Over 2, pass or gurgle 2.

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-April-25, 00:06

Whether playing a standard system or Precision,a 2 C response is forcing and promises one more bid.I shall bid 2 H which is NOT a reverse bid since partner has forced me.If over my 2H partner bids 2S,I will bid 3H showing four spades (2S may be natural or 4 th suit bid).Partner will now know that my hand is 4432 or 4441 and obviously if 4432 then the hand is limited to 14HCP at most since with 15 the opening bid would be 1NT.I do not show five card heart suit when I respond 3 H over 2S as with five hearts I would open 1H and not 1D.Of course !partner CAN have a decent 12HCP although he is a passed hand.

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 00:22

View Postmike777, on 2016-April-24, 20:26, said:

these type of hands must be common, very common over the decades of Acol....is there not a standard, reasonably accepted way to handle them?

Yes, the standard way to handle them is to open 1H and rebid 2D. But the original question had the system as 5cM, not Acol.

One might equally say they must be common in (non 2/1 GF) Std Am too... what is the standard way of handling them there?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 01:04

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-24, 12:20, said:

Tactically, why are you worried about the opps bidding one of our strong 4 card suits holding a good defensive hand?

I'm not 'worried' about the opponents bidding one of our suits, but I would prefer to stop them exploring for a profitable part-score sacrifice at a low level.

A 1S opening takes away enough space that they might end up finding their fit a level higher and allow our side a profitable double.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-April-24, 14:45, said:

What are you bidding over partner's 1N ?

Pass.

#20 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 01:08

View Postgordontd, on 2016-April-25, 00:22, said:

Yes, the standard way to handle them is to open 1H and rebid 2D. But the original question had the system as 5cM, not Acol.

One might equally say they must be common in (non 2/1 GF) Std Am too... what is the standard way of handling them there?

In 1st/2nd seat playing standard you've got an easy 1D opening planning to rebid 2NT over 2C. The rebid problem only exists in the context of weak 1NT.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users