• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BUG: Grotesque pass

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-24, 05:28

MP, Instant, 35

If ever you needed evidence that there is no link between the explanation for bids and what GIB actually interprets, this is it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 10:42

I think its interpretation of what the bid shows is likely fine, it just probably lacks rules for these super-rare SOS redouble situations, so has no idea what its bids means following it, and gives up defaulting to pass. Remember computers don't have common sense, so when you get "out of book", as this auction must be exceedingly rare (I certainly haven't ever cue bid in this situation as South, I think normal with this type of hand is pass the transfer, then takeout double if it gets passed back to me), it's likely to fall apart. Certainly they could add rules for this auction and get North to bid, but probably it ought to be super low priority compared to fixing more common auctions where it is screwing up like responding to normal takeout doubles.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 11:07

I had the impression that GIB has two approaches to bidding:
(1) rule based
(2) simulation based

It starts with rules. When it runs out of rules, it resorts to simulations.
The point at which it runs out of rules varies depending on how the auction progresses.

That is all complete speculation on my part. I'd be delighted to be enlightened if that is all wrong.

So, GIB opens 1N and its partner bids 2C. It has 4 card Heart suit and is in rule-based mode: It bids 2H and has no thought for how successful that bid will be. Its partner bid 3H and GIB resorts to sim-mode to determine whether to pass or bid 4H.

What seems to happen here and on other odd occasions is that it is stuck in rule-based mode but lacks the rules. At that point it should switch to sim-based mode but instead defaults to "pass" under rule-based mode.

The odd thing on this hand is that someone has gone to some lengths to define the meanings of the 2H cue and the subsequent redouble. Rare, the sequence may be, but if you are going to go to that much trouble as to cater for it, you should either go the extra mile and define the continuations or release GIB from its rule-based constraints at that point and allow it to simulate. ANY simulations run by GIB North would tell it that bidding Diamonds would be more profitable than passing.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-24, 18:07

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-24, 11:07, said:

someone has gone to some lengths to define the meanings of the 2H cue and the subsequent redouble

I'm not sure the redouble has actually been defined... doesn't it just show the same hand-description as the preceeding 2H bid?
(unfortunately the end of the descriptions run outside the image-frame in my browser, so I can't tell exactly...)

Still, I agree -- of course, the 2H bid description should be enough to conclude there is some better contract than 2HXX :)
Somebody should look into this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users