• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what to bid what to bid with hand

#1 User is offline   pinkiron 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-April-18, 14:39

you have akxxx,xx,kx,akjx partner opens 1c you bid 1s partner bids 1nt what is your bid?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-18, 15:21

2D nmf I suppose. Some might bid 2S first time around; then can support Clubs in GF
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-18, 20:22

Hi Floyd welcome to the forums.

Start with whatever flavor of NMF you play. If partner supports spades, you can set a force and do some cuebidding, but youll likely end up in 6C or 6S depending on how things go.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-19, 01:59

Hello pinkiron and welcome to the BBO forums. First of all, system matters and is not the same in all parts of the world. Assuming you play some kind of strong NT, 5 card major base, the most typical advance here would be an artificial forcing call, usually 2 as mentioned by the previous 2 posters. To flesh out the continuing auction, if Opener shows 3 spades, you would set them as trumps and go slamming. If partner denies 3 spades or 4 hearts you set clubs and go slamming. If partner shows 4 hearts you in turn show 5 spades. If partner now denies 3 spades you know there is a club fit so either way you can continue towards a probable slam knowing that there is a suit fit available.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 04:58

View PostPhil, on 2016-April-18, 20:22, said:

Hi Floyd welcome to the forums.

Start with whatever flavor of NMF you play.

evidently none.

#6 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-April-19, 05:58

4NT Blackwood agreeing clubs as trumps If partner has the necessary controls,then there's a very good chance of 6making.
The unbalanced distribution suggests my hand has ruffing values and would therefore be more valuable in a trump
contract rather than in NTs.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 06:04

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-19, 05:58, said:

4NT Blackwood

4NT is quantitative.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-19, 15:59

Sorry pinkiron, PhilG likes to post some misdirection in threads sometimes. It is a little unfair to do it here as you are new to these forums - you will learn soon enough which posters to trust. As Helene points out, 4NT directly over 1NT would be a natural slam invite. Moreover, RKCB for clubs would simply be a bad choice. Opener might easily have a 3=4=3=3 hand, in which case spades and NT will both most likely play better than clubs.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 17:27

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-19, 15:59, said:

PhilG likes to post some misdirection in threads sometimes.
I reckon you give him too much credit. I am inclined to the view that he sincerely believes his own advice.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-19, 18:00

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-19, 17:27, said:

I reckon you give him too much credit. I am inclined to the view that he sincerely believes his own advice.

I am not sure it is possible. Surely we all remember the hand where lefty opened, we have a 5/5 19- count, and PhilG advocated passing? That post, at least, was not serious.

EDIT: Found it. It is most entertaining.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 20:15

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-19, 18:00, said:

I am not sure it is possible. Surely we all remember the hand where lefty opened, we have a 5/5 19- count, and PhilG advocated passing? That post, at least, was not serious.

EDIT: Found it. It is most entertaining.

I'm pretty sure it's possible. The incompetent are often simply unable to realize the depths of their own incompetence. See Dunning-Kruger effect. To me it's perfectly possible that Phil has been trapped playing in a solely rubber bridge playing circle for past 40 years or whatever with people playing antiquated methods, not exposed to an environment where michaels cue bids or negative doubles are routine, not playing duplicate, then somehow managed to discover BBO and the forums a couple years ago. And has a completely warped view of what constitutes good bridge, and of his own skill level.

If it is all an elaborate prank, then it's a pretty long time to be running a prank.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-20, 01:17

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-April-19, 20:15, said:

If it is all an elaborate prank, then it's a pretty long time to be running a prank.

Not as long as the Secret Bridge Olympics (so far).

I miss 32519.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is online   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-April-20, 04:44

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-20, 01:17, said:

I miss 32519.

I've never understood what he did to deserve all the ridicule.

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 05:13

What to rebid depends on what you think partner knows.

If it is a random partner on BBO then you should assume they play common agreements, and you can happily bid 2 as the minor that has not yet been mentioned. This is assumed to be forcing, and opener will try to make a descriptive rebid, such as spades with 3 card support. You can then decide on a spade, club, or NT contract. You have the strength to try for a slam.

If it is a friend with whom you have started together, and you have no agreements, then you must find some bid that you think is forcing. Clearly bidding spades will not be forcing, and would 2 be taken as forcing? If not, you might want to bid 3 and then keep bidding something else when partner keeps raising. You should reach slam by that point and he might stop. If he is from a UK background, he might take 2 as forcing, even though he has bid the suit. If you think none of these will work, then PhilG's scorned advice might do it. Many beginners say 4NT is always ace asking. Failing that, you could bid 4. This is not going to be passed and may be taken as ace asking. If he bids 5, bid 6.

It should be emphasised that the best way forward is an exploratory bid such as new minor forcing, to determine first what the contract denomination should be. Then you determine the level.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-20, 05:21

View Postnullve, on 2016-April-20, 04:44, said:

I've never understood what he did to deserve all the ridicule.

Well quoting the bible as fact deserves ridicule IMO let alone his bridge atrocities

#16 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-20, 10:14

32519 (WTF does that mean anyway? Zipcode? Population of their city? ) was an annoying intermediate but I don't think (s)he had a mean bone in their body. Sprinkling texts with religious references didn't bother me personally and added some balancing (however incorrect) views to the community.

The troll du mois however is a bad bridge player that spouts dangerous advice to new visitors of the fora with no other redeeming value.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#17 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 10:18

I wonder how his battle in legalizing the Lee Two Diamonds went. I think a lot of the time, he was reading into things and just coming to the wrong conclusion, like when he said that too many 2NT hands were going down when partner is broke meant that the 2NT opener was too light rather than almost any hand is just going to play badly when partner puts down a yarborough.
Wayne Somerville

#18 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 12:10

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-April-20, 10:18, said:

I wonder how his battle in legalizing the Lee Two Diamonds went. I think a lot of the time, he was reading into things and just coming to the wrong conclusion, like when he said that too many 2NT hands were going down when partner is broke meant that the 2NT opener was too light rather than almost any hand is just going to play badly when partner puts down a yarborough.

This is a very valid argument. Of course you cannot prevent partner placing a yarborough on the table, but you can make it more bearable by not having silly opening bids. Not so long back, many people round here were opening 2NT on 19/20.

#19 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 12:24

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-April-20, 12:10, said:

This is a very valid argument. Of course you cannot prevent partner placing a yarborough on the table, but you can make it more bearable by not having silly opening bids. Not so long back, many people round here were opening 2NT on 19/20.

I had a meeting with a new partner this morning. He mentioned he played 19-20 2NT, I took that off the card before he finished his sentence :). That range is really common where I am though, probably more common than any other range.

edit: The point of his argument if I remember right was that 2NT should be something like 23-24, while not suggesting any way to fill up the rest of the NT ladder.
Too many 2NT contracts are going down
Wayne Somerville

#20 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 15:56

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-April-20, 12:24, said:

The point of his argument if I remember right was that 2NT should be something like 23-24, while not suggesting any way to fill up the rest of the NT ladder.

Can't oblige, but I can offer 2NT as 21/22 in a sound NT ladder ! That's with 1NT = 15/16. If you don't mind a 3-point range 1NT, then 2NT = 22/23.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users