• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what to bid what to bid with hand

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-20, 22:34

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-April-20, 15:56, said:

Can't oblige, but I can offer 2NT as 21/22 in a sound NT ladder ! That's with 1NT = 15/16. If you don't mind a 3-point range 1NT, then 2NT = 22/23.

Or use Kokish for 20-21 or 22 with escapes to 2M or 3m.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-21, 00:31

View Postpinkiron, on 2016-April-18, 14:39, said:

you have akxxx,xx,kx,akjx partner opens 1c you bid 1s partner bids 1nt what is your bid?

Bid your cheapest forcing bid, which usually is 2, but will be 2 in France and some other countries nearby.

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-21, 01:54

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-April-20, 15:56, said:

Can't oblige, but I can offer 2NT as 21/22 in a sound NT ladder ! That's with 1NT = 15/16. If you don't mind a 3-point range 1NT, then 2NT = 22/23.

My system uses 1NT = 12-14, 1 - 1; 1NT = 15-17, and 1 - 1; 1 - 1; 1NT = 18-20. If one were to take that and add a nebulous diamond, it would be possible to start the NT ladder with 11-13 and the 2 level with 23-24. Not that I would suggest that - there are imho higher priorities than pushing the envelope of balanced hands as high as possible. I think 19->20 is huge and 20->21 is still worthwhile but 21->22 brings considerably less and is generally only worth it if it does not cause short-cuts to be taken elsewhere in the system.
(-: Zel :-)

#24 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-21, 03:29

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-20, 22:34, said:

Presumably you start this method with a 2 opening that is forcing? Then your 20 count is still opposite a possible yarborough. This does not help.

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-21, 03:55

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-April-21, 03:29, said:

Presumably you start this method with a 2 opening that is forcing? Then your 20 count is still opposite a possible yarborough. This does not help.

Yes but what helps is the chance to get out lower in a suit contract.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-April-21, 04:26

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-20, 22:34, said:

Or a variation of this, such as

2 = 20-21 bal. or GF
...2+: either transfers a la Welland-Auken or simply
...2 = waiting
......2 = Kokish: 5+ H or 25+ bal.
......2N = 20-21 bal.
......other = standard
...2M/3m = to play opposite 20-21 bal.
2N = 22-24 bal.

This post has been edited by nullve: 2016-April-21, 16:06

#27 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-21, 05:22

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-April-20, 12:10, said:

This is a very valid argument. Of course you cannot prevent partner placing a yarborough on the table, but you can make it more bearable by not having silly opening bids. Not so long back, many people round here were opening 2NT on 19/20.

How about opening 2NT (Actually a Benji 2C-2d-2NT sequence) on 18-19?! http://www.mrbridge....-opening#latest

#28 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-April-23, 05:35

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-19, 17:27, said:

I reckon you give him too much credit. I am inclined to the view that he sincerely believes his own advice.

Damn right I do...and I suspect you do as well (!) How often do you
talk to the Man in the Mirror(?) :P :P
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#29 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-April-23, 12:01

Make the cheapest forcing bid if no firm agreement exists about NMF. Playing NMF, make the strongest NMF bid possible. So, if you play 2-way NMF make the GF bid.

The hard part may be to decide how to proceed over partner's next rebid.

#30 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 06:55

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-April-19, 20:15, said:

I'm pretty sure it's possible. The incompetent are often simply unable to realize the depths of their own incompetence. See Dunning-Kruger effect. To me it's perfectly possible that Phil has been trapped playing in a solely rubber bridge playing circle for past 40 years or whatever with people playing antiquated methods, not exposed to an environment where michaels cue bids or negative doubles are routine, not playing duplicate, then somehow managed to discover BBO and the forums a couple years ago. And has a completely warped view of what constitutes good bridge, and of his own skill level.

If it is all an elaborate prank, then it's a pretty long time to be running a prank.

I've earned red masterpoints. Last time I noticed these are only awarded if you do well in big real time tournaments.
I've had to give up real time tournament bridge because earning a living had to take precedence.
As for the "antiquated" charge. Yes,it's true I am of the so-called "Old Guard". So what? The youngsters could
learn a thing or from us 'veterans' I don't play 'Micheals' or 'Negative doubles' because they don't fit in with my style.
To each their own,says I. I have 30 years playing experience...sometimes harsh experience. The bridge club in my city is
a private one and very strict and selective on who gets entrance. You had to prove your ability as a 'probationer'
for a certain time before being elevated to the 'Big Club'
If anyone doubts me as a player,then take me on head to head in a challenge match. THEN we'll see who's the master and who's the duffer :)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#31 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 08:57

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-25, 06:55, said:

I've earned red masterpoints. Last time I noticed these are only awarded if you do well in big real time tournaments.
I've had to give up real time tournament bridge because earning a living had to take precedence.
As for the "antiquated" charge. Yes,it's true I am of the so-called "Old Guard". So what? The youngsters could
learn a thing or from us 'veterans' I don't play 'Micheals' or 'Negative doubles' because they don't fit in with my style.
To each their own,says I. I have 30 years playing experience...sometimes harsh experience. The bridge club in my city is
a private one and very strict and selective on who gets entrance. You had to prove your ability as a 'probationer'
for a certain time before being elevated to the 'Big Club'
If anyone doubts me as a player,then take me on head to head in a challenge match. THEN we'll see who's the master and who's the duffer :)

I believe Timo already offered you the same challenge, and after a lot of bluster you failed to pick up the gauntlet. I'm sure he'd still be willing to make the offer if you've changed your mind, though.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#32 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:59

This actually fits with what you are saying, sort of. Red points were prized....up until 1975 or so, when gold points were implemented. Now, red points are the "consolation prize" that you get in single session side games, section placings, match awards, but not overalls.

There's one other place you can get reds, and that's international tourneys where you represent the US, but I'll go out on a limb and say this isn't the source of yours.

Most of us have full time jobs here. I work for the largest auto company in the world. I choose to use my leisure time and $ going to tournaments because I like to play bridge instead of just talking about it.

learn a thing or from us 'veterans'

What in the world could a veteran like you teach an up and coming player unless you consider trolling a valuable trait?

I don't play 'Micheals' or 'Negative doubles' because they don't fit in with my style.

Then you will get absolutely crushed if you cannot compete effectively at any form of scoring, including rubber. But if your 'style' includes a nuanced bidding style where your tone can parse a penalty double from a cooperative one from takeout, you really don't need to learn anything new.

a private one and very strict and selective on who gets entrance. You had to prove your ability as a 'probationer' for a certain time before being elevated to the 'Big Club'

Can I show them my red point total to play in the big game?

Anytime. Any place. For any stakes sir.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#33 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 12:18

View PostJinksy, on 2016-April-25, 08:57, said:

I believe Timo already offered you the same challenge, and after a lot of bluster you failed to pick up the gauntlet. I'm sure he'd still be willing to make the offer if you've changed your mind, though.

He knows where to find me if he's serious. Whatever else I may be,I'm no coward.I'll actually relish the
chance of taking someone who,I suspect is just another of these so-called pseudo 'experts' that seem to
dog BBO down a peg or two. Bring it on I'm waiting ! :)

#34 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-25, 13:03

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-25, 12:18, said:

He knows where to find me if he's serious. Whatever else I may be,I'm no coward.I'll actually relish the
chance of taking someone who,I suspect is just another of these so-called pseudo 'experts' that seem to
dog BBO down a peg or two. Bring it on I'm waiting ! :)

I am on most weekday evenings but I have commitments Monday and Tuesday.

You issued the challenge. I accept it. I expect you to reach out to me.

Edit: I'll send an email to Timo.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#35 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 13:04

ACBL said:

Red points are awarded ... for all events at a regional tournament when the masterpoints are not gold

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#36 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 13:46

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-25, 12:18, said:

He knows where to find me if he's serious.

Well actually he doesn't. IIRC he messaged you, requesting a time for the game and you never responded. Unless you expect him to show up at your house with two robot companions, I'd say the onus is on you.

Whatever else I may be,I'm no coward.

No, of course not.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9Oe1jCy2Fc8
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#37 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-April-25, 17:31

There may be some miscommunication going on in this brouhaha.

I note PhilG007 is listed as being in the UK. So when PhilG007 refers to red points, it's unclear if the reference is to points earned in the UK on a different footing, or, possibly referring to points actually won in the US a very long time ago.

Some replies seem geared toward "pigmented" points as awarded here in the US.

In the US, way back -- red points were awarded only at regional/national tournaments and all other points (club games, sectionals) were just black points.

Then the ACBL decided to add gold points to distinguish high place finishes at regionals/nationals. They also added silver points for points earned at sectional tournaments to encourage attendance there. Gold and silver point requirements were rolled into the requirements for achieving various master rank categories.

I can recall finishing a regional Swiss with 6 1/4 wins (predating Victory points) and winning something like 8 or 9 red points. So, at one time, earning red points were a measure of some prowess. Alas, but no more.

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-25, 18:29

View Postrmnka447, on 2016-April-25, 17:31, said:

There may be some miscommunication going on in this brouhaha.

I note PhilG007 is listed as being in the UK. So when PhilG007 refers to red points, it's unclear if the reference is to points earned in the UK on a different footing, or, possibly referring to points actually won in the US a very long time ago.

The points were not earned in the UK unless PhilG007 had red/green colourblindness.

Some replies seem geared toward "pigmented" points as awarded here in the US.

In the US, way back -- red points were awarded only at regional/national tournaments and all other points (club games, sectionals) were just black points.

Then the ACBL decided to add gold points to distinguish high place finishes at regionals/nationals. They also added silver points for points earned at sectional tournaments to encourage attendance there. Gold and silver point requirements were rolled into the requirements for achieving various master rank categories.

I can recall finishing a regional Swiss with 6 1/4 wins (predating Victory points) and winning something like 8 or 9 red points. So, at one time, earning red points were a measure of some prowess. Alas, but no more.

That must have been a very long time ago, because my first ACBL event was a regional Swiss teams and we got gold points for that. That was almost 30 years ago.

We got 5 or 6 for finishing equal 5th-8th (also w/l of course) so it seems like they made an even exchange.

So first red, then gold (which you can now win in pretty low-limit events)... what points are the ACBL going to introduce once they devalue platinum points?

#39 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 18:44

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-25, 18:29, said:

The points were not earned in the UK unless PhilG007 had red/green colourblindness.

He claims to be Scottish ... the SBU web site still seems to refer to red / national points so perhaps he is claiming some of these. How many of these is supposed to be impressive probably greatly depends on when they were earned?

#40 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-April-25, 19:05

Posted Image
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users