BBO Discussion Forums: Sundry Thoughts on Etiquette and other Matters - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sundry Thoughts on Etiquette and other Matters

#1 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-April-18, 02:21

Bridge is a game. It's played for fun and recreation. But the game has gained an unenviable
reputation that,at times,make this difficult to believe. Its been responsible for broken friendships,
divorces,stand up rows,tears and in one well known extreme case...MURDER Bridge players have all the failings that the
flesh is heir to and exhibit them more than most. They come in every guise. The merry,the morose,the chatty,the taciturn,
the ladies and the gentlemen,the bitches and the b******ds. When I was learning this game,I thought the best way to learn
the ropes was to play with some close friends. I soon realised why playing cards were known in olden days
as "The Devil's Picture Books" I never dreamed that 52 bits of pasteboard could turn normally decent sweet people into ogres.
I quickly became aware that an essential asset at this game is to grow a tough hide. In 30 years of playing I've seen it all.
So can anything be done to improve the standard of etiquette at this game? I doubt it. Human nature will always be human nature.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-18, 05:05

Assuming that we are thinking of the same case, as I recall Mrs Bennett was aquitted of murder. There is a grey cloud over whether Grosvenor was murdered but if he was no-one was brought to book. It would not surprise me if there has been at least one murder over the game, but perhaps not too well known.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-April-18, 05:34

In my experience,if looks could kill,mass murder would be happening at bridge tables worldwide (!)
Maybe that's the real reason why there are screens across tables at top flight bridge events;
so that a player can't see his/her partner's fury(!) :rolleyes:
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   JonnyQuest 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-18, 05:58

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-18, 05:34, said:

(!)

What is this? (!)

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-18, 06:05

There have been a few cases of bridge murder, though I'm under the impression that if a game of bridge can do that, then there must have been other underlying issues, not that I condone murder. I suspect most pairs who are good enough to be playing with screens have seen each others faces enough at the table to not be afraid of them. Screens are used to hide BITs and UI mostly during the auction.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-April-18, 08:29

And that is why, when you can, you should call the TD at the earliest opportunity. As a neutral arbiter he/she can at least cool things down.

Obviously you can't do that at home - but suggesting a 'time out for a hot/ cold drink' (no alcohol) and getting away from the source of the animosity (the bridge table) will help.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users