• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any reason not to correct to 7N?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-16, 04:02

TL;DR for the auction: south has shown a monster with 5+ diamonds, 4 hearts and all the controls. Your bidding is consistent with AKxxx Qxxx x xxx (or xx xx, or xxx x in the minors).

I was quite pleased with the auction here (mainly for having not gone off the rails for once), and 7 was cold barring a very unlikely first round ruff but after the dust had settled I wondered whether I should have corrected to 7N. It didn't even occur to me at the time with such a shapely hand, but I have at least one undisclosed trick in the Q, very likely another in the fifth heart. I'm now struggling to place partner with a hand where 7 is laydown and 7N isn't.

The scoring was IMPs, so the only question is whether I can prove that 7N is more likely to make than 7.

I thought I'd self-persuaded in writing this post, but changed my mind again. The hand I'm most worried about is - AKJx AKxxx AKxx, where partner's anticipating at worst three ruffs in the minors regardless of my distribution.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-16, 04:56

Yes. You can't see 13 tricks. Not only is partner expecting to ruff spades and have some ruffs in your hand, he may not have all those kings you anticipate.

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-16, 18:19

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-April-16, 04:56, said:

Yes. You can't see 13 tricks. Not only is partner expecting to ruff spades and have some ruffs in your hand, he may not have all those kings you anticipate.

So what hand do you think he has that's worse than the one I posted above, and bids like this? I've been able to come up with one other - a two-suiter like x AKJx AKQxxx Ax. Those two persuade me that I should pass, but I feel like I should defend partner from the vague charge that he'd bid like this on a hand which might just have no realistic play for 13 tricks in 7, as you seem to imply if you think he could have a weaker hand than either of these.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-April-20, 16:00

delete
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-21, 07:13

In general I expect there are more deals where the 13th trick is a ruff than there are deals where the opening lead is ruffed, especially with no doubles along the way.

At matchpoints or BAM I will consider it. IMPs, no way.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-21, 07:44

I agree with your constructions.

Partner had a free king ask with 5N so we could put him on the cK although when the adrenaline is pumping partner doesn't always think things through.

3S, 5H, 2D, 2C. We'd need the cQ/sJ/dQ for 7N to work. There was a lot of space between 5S and 7h that were available. Over a beer later you talk about the meanings of these calls.

At IMPs, considering 7N is overthinking the hand.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users