BBO Discussion Forums: Gazzilli help - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gazzilli help 2/1. 1M 1NT, forcing or 6-9?

#1 User is offline   kiwinacol 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 15:49

Hello all, I've been studying and practicing Gazzilli recently (ideas from Luria's ebook and system files that I purchased but also interesting articles in bridgewinners). I'm aiming to understand it better and hopefully add it as an option when I play with other like minded BBO'ers.

As yet I'm not sure what works best by an unpassed hand, a forcing 1NT or std 1NT. If std, not forcing, how do you handle the good 10-11 hands below the 2/1 requirements, and where opener might have a good 14 HCP thats below the threshold for 2C?

I need some theory on the advantages and disadvantages of Gazzilli with f1NT and std 1NT. One article I've read tells me to throw away the f1NT but doesn't say why, and I don't have any table or enough practice experience to determine an optimal strategy.

A second question, Laura seems to bid 2C on 15+ and some others 17+ for Gazzilli. Its easy enough to make HCP adjustments for the other sequences based on the the HCP choice made, but which range seems to work best, and why? I guess one would have to run large simulations or analyse a large database of bid hands to answer that, but you experts would have an opinion based on experience at the table.

A reply explaining why your approach is the better one would be appreciated.

thank you all, Ash.

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-15, 07:55

The first question I can give no input on, because I always play forcing next step and like the benefits it gives of additional possible sequences that enable responder to better describe his hand.

15+ or 17+ ?

It all depends on the rest of the system. If 2 over Gazzilli 2 is any 8+, then 17+ conveniently sets a GF whatever opener rebids, but you may have excluded rebids at the 2-level to mean something else, such as a <17 with a club suit. Someone who uses 17 should reply to this. I dislike wide-ranging rebids and whenever I can like to portray an opener hand as being in the ranges 12-14, 15/16, and 17+, so for me 2 is 15+. Over 2 (with the same 8+) I then rebid at the 2-level with 15/16, not GF, or at the 3-level GF with 17+. I think you need to consider what your objectives are to decide this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users