BBO Discussion Forums: does GIB try to play support x's over 1nt overcalls - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

does GIB try to play support x's over 1nt overcalls 1c p 1h 1n (gib plays sandwich) x p 2h p p p

#1 User is offline   Strangway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 13:31

Does GIB try to play support x's over 1nt overcalls?

I had an auction that was this:

1d(me) p 1h 1nt (sandwich overcall it said) x (me...I could hit spades for sure and maybe clubs and had 18 hcp balanced with 2 hearts) p 2h (no idea why GIB is pulling this X with a balanced 7 hcp and only 4 hearts).

Why is GIB rebidding a weak 4-card heart suit with a balanced 7 hcp? Does it think I've made a support X? My X should suggest a desire for penalty (usually with a balanced 18-19 count and limited heart support).

Does GIB think it needs 9 hcp to pass or something?

Not to mention that pass is somewhat free since the sandwich GIB is going to have to pick a suit anyway.

Very weird.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 16:05

As far as I know, GIB does play support doubles there. Pass certainly isn't free. In fact, if partner passes I would expect 1NTx to be the final contract at least 80% of the time.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 17:10

View PostStrangway, on 2016-April-14, 13:31, said:

Does GIB try to play support x's over 1nt overcalls?

I had an auction that was this:

1d(me) p 1h 1nt (sandwich overcall it said) x (me...I could hit spades for sure and maybe clubs and had 18 hcp balanced with 2 hearts) p 2h (no idea why GIB is pulling this X with a balanced 7 hcp and only 4 hearts).

Why is GIB rebidding a weak 4-card heart suit with a balanced 7 hcp? Does it think I've made a support X? My X should suggest a desire for penalty (usually with a balanced 18-19 count and limited heart support).

Are you in the habit of making any old bid without knowing what it means to GIB??? You will get much better results if you check on the meaning of any bid where you aren't sure of the meaning.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users