BBO Discussion Forums: 2nd Transfer necessary? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

2nd Transfer necessary?

#1 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 06:00

I need some help to understand the bidding by a GIB.

I opened 1NT to which the GIB responded 4 hearts.

I assumed a transfer so bid 4 spade.

He replied 4NT assuming asking for aces to which I replied 5 diamonds to show one ace.

GIB then bid 5 hearts!!

This confussed me as I did not see any point in my partner transferring again, why did it not just go direct to 5 spade.

As I was confused I thought maybe he actually did not transfer the first time and meant hearts so I foolishly left GIB in 5 hearts and we crashed.

I do not believe a real person would have made a 2nd transfer but maybe I am wrong?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 06:32

You can interrogate the meaning of 5H (or any other GIB bid) before you have to commit to any action. You were right that 4H was tfr to Spades, but again not necessary to make assumptions.

4N was RKCB setting Spades as trump. Thereafter any bid not in Spades nor 6N nor 7N is forcing. 5H was not a second transfer but asks if you have the Queen of Spades and invites you to show specific side suit Kings if you have it (with an eye on the possibility of the grand).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 07:02

Blimey thank you

#4 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-15, 10:09

The 5H bid was not a transfer. It it asked you to bid the slam with the Queen of trumps (spades).

#5 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-16, 15:07

The 5h was indeed asking about the queen of trumps. If you have it you can now bid a useful king. So 6c would promise the queen of trumps and the king of clubs.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users