• You cannot reply to this topic

cool dice/probability problem

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-April-13, 14:13

I just saw this problem on youtube. The solution is actually subjective but I'm fairly sure my approach is not the best one.

You have three indistinguishable dice and you can only throw all three of them at once. This works great if you need to toss three dice, obviously. But what if you need less?

a) how can you simulate a single dice from the result of the three dice-throws? (with the exact probability)

if you're lazy, this is the solution:
Spoiler

b) how can you simulate two dice from the result of the three dice-throws? (again, with the correct probabilities)
It is NOT allowed to repeat problem a) twice.
if you're super lazy this is the solution I came up with, although it's hard to believe it's the simplest method out there:
Spoiler

The video is here:
https://www.youtube....h?v=xHh0ui5mi_E
It spoils the first solution but gives no second solution, only saying that it might be ugly.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-13, 15:04

For a, don't forget to add 1.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-April-13, 19:11

Ah yes, makes sense that that's the simplest way to solve (a). I went a more complicated manual route:

Spoiler

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-13, 21:58

Mgoetze: Your solution is exactly the same as the one given in the video, just expressed slightly differently. And unlike the video you actually *did* show proof that your result is correct.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that just taking mod of the numbers only works if you're trying to simulate a die with the same number of sides due to the symmetry. For example, taking say MOD 4 of the 3* 6-sided dice will not give you a fair 4-sided die.

#5 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-14, 01:18

You shut your eyes before throwing the dice and select the appropriate number of dice at random.

#6 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-14, 02:31

View PostStevenG, on 2016-April-14, 01:18, said:

Yuo shut your eyes before throwing the dice and select the appropriate number of dice at random.

Or mark a point on the table and take the one that lands nearest for (a) and exclude the one that lands nearest for (b)....

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-14, 05:04

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-April-13, 21:58, said:

Mgoetze: Your solution is exactly the same as the one given in the video, just expressed slightly differently. And unlike the video you actually *did* show proof that your result is correct.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that just taking mod of the numbers only works if you're trying to simulate a die with the same number of sides due to the symmetry. For example, taking say MOD 4 of the 3* 6-sided dice will not give you a fair 4-sided die.

MGoetze's is functionally the same but not identical and is the way I did it.

I worked out the probabilities and took the lowest 3 and highest 3 that added up, so 3 (1) + 6 (10) + 9 (25) = 36/216

Since 3 and 18, 6 and 15, 9 and 12 have the same probabilities, there are alternatives, the modulo solution groups 3/9/15 and 6/12/18.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-14, 05:28

Other similar problems with simple and related solutions are how to simulate a die of a lower number of sides, such as a 5-sided die from an icosahedron, how to simulate a die of a higher number of sides from 2 dice and simulating a die roll without having any die at all. Unlike the OP problems, all of these have practical uses.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-April-14, 05:58

I learned from dburn not to use "die" as a noun and my life got instantly much better after that.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-14, 09:16

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-April-13, 21:58, said:

Someone in the comment section said that found the solution unbelievable, but they made a spreadsheet and convinced themselves.

#11 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-April-14, 09:24

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-14, 05:28, said:

Other similar problems with simple and related solutions are how to simulate a die of a lower number of sides, such as a 5-sided die from an icosahedron, how to simulate a die of a higher number of sides from 2 dice and simulating a die roll without having any die at all. Unlike the OP problems, all of these have practical uses.

With no die at all?? You do have something, I assume?
Ken

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-April-14, 09:31

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-14, 09:16, said:

Someone in the comment section said that found the solution unbelievable, but they made a spreadsheet and convinced themselves.

It's actually easy to see that the solution for only 1 dice works. Of course I also made a spreadsheet first and then learned the easy way in the comment section.
Spoiler

George Carlin

#13 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-April-14, 09:32

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-14, 09:16, said:

To each his own, but the advantage of thinking it through is that you can see in some generality when an analogous coding can be done and identify cases where it cannot be done. It is probably quicker to think it through in this case, and in a case where it cannot be done it is definitely useful to think through why it cannot be done rather than try a lot of spreadsheet programs. Plus it is more fun.

But by spreadsheet or by thinking, I don't see how to simulate a die roll without having something. It reminds me of Guys and Dolls, where Big Louie wants to shoot craps with his own dice. He has had the spots removed, but not to worry, he remembers where they are.
Ken

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-14, 12:24

View Postgwnn, on 2016-April-14, 05:58, said:

I learned from dburn not to use "die" as a noun and my life got instantly much better after that.

Using dice for the singular is simply wrong. I could easily add it to the pet peeves thread.

View Postkenberg, on 2016-April-14, 09:24, said:

With no die at all?? You do have something, I assume?

You have 2 people and nothing else of any special note. I once watched a group of children playing diceless D&D on the train using a form of this method but it is also useful for picking a random number while avoiding the usual biases that the basic method involves.

Spoiler

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-April-14, 14:06

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-14, 12:24, said:

Using dice for the singular is simply wrong. I could easily add it to the pet peeves thread.

Or you could easily consult Merriam-Webster:
http://www.merriam-w...dictionary/dice
Or Oxford Dictionaries:
http://www.oxforddic...on/english/dice
Before you say what is simply wrong. You could also find a bunch of articles written on the topic without any clear conclusion. In other sources die is indeed given as the singular, I know.

Anyway you recently told me not to engage trolling so I will refrain from talking about posters who just go to a math thread and give the wonderful reply that there are other similar but more useful problems out there.
      George Carlin

#16 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2016-April-14, 16:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-14, 12:24, said:

You have 2 people and nothing else of any special note. I once watched a group of children playing diceless D&D on the train using a form of this method but it is also useful for picking a random number while avoiding the usual biases that the basic method involves.

Spoiler

Ok, I agree. I didn't give much thought to just what was desired here.
You do need two people. Or one person and a clock. Or something!
But yes, two people, or even a group of people, could shoot craps this way without any dice.

As to singular/plural I was surprised to see that dice is now regarded as both but I guess the dice is cast.
Ken

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-14, 18:03

View Postkenberg, on 2016-April-14, 16:41, said:

As to singular/plural I was surprised to see that dice is now regarded as both but I guess the dice is cast.

In the same way as "to run quick" is now regarded as correct along with similar "adverbs". Note that there is nothing new in dictionaries posting "bad" English as perfect(ly) correct. My 1918 Concise Oxford definitively provides ax and stanch as alternative spellings along with many others. Even being aware of the alternative rules, the correct forms are for me still axe, staunch, quickly and, yes, die.

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-April-15, 00:12

Instead of saying "oh, interesting, I didn't realize that. I guess I was wrong about 'simply incorrect' - I should have checked around before making my sweeping claims." you can always be counted on to change your standard from "simply wrong" to "for me, incorrect" without blinking an eye. I don't get this kind of communication. Will the world collapse if you admit you were even partially wrong?
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-15, 02:22

So I have a button that rolls 3 dices into a transparent box, and I want to pick a single result. This has so many solutions, I could pick the result closer to me, but that would end up being subjective, so I would just roll them enough times untill there is a double/triple result, then I would pick that one.

The mod solution is better? If you think so you haven't played board games with people who consistently failed maths. And on top of that, it works for every kind of dice, not only 6-sided ones with numbers (as long as each sides are not duplciated).

EDIT: Sorry the mod solution works on any kind of numbered dice (*dumb*)

EDIT2: I saw the video and the guy says that here are 216 posibilities when rolling 3 dice... this is technically wrong as you can't distiguish 2,2,5 from 2,5,2 not 5,3,1 from 3,1,5. The right total is 56 I think, but each will have different probability.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-April-15, 05:41

View PostFluffy, on 2016-April-15, 02:22, said:

3 dices

The next step in the evolution of the language. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users