• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overbidding

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-10, 12:47

MP Instant 35

The full hand is concealed for no reason other than to deny a certain regular forum contributor the opportunity to deviate from the point of the post by focusing on actions by other players at the table.

Anyway, suffice it to say that 4S went piling 4 off vulnerable against a partscore for 0% to e/w

East has nothing more than what he has already promised prior to bidding 4S, has considerably less than what is apparently promised by the description of 4S, and does not even have the excuse of being in the pass-out seat.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-10, 19:09

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-10, 12:47, said:

MP Instant 35

The full hand is concealed for no reason other than to deny a certain regular forum contributor the opportunity to deviate from the point of the post by focusing on actions by other players at the table.

Anyway, suffice it to say that 4S went piling 4 off vulnerable against a partscore for 0% to e/w

East has nothing more than what he has already promised prior to bidding 4S, has considerably less than what is apparently promised by the description of 4S, and does not even have the excuse of being in the pass-out seat.

Its a team game who was West and what was he bidding on?

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-April-10, 19:59

how can Gib bid 4?
If it's going to make a stupid bid it should be 4 there is a fit. no fit in .
and why isn't this doubled?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-April-10, 21:34

I wonder what the rest of the description of 3 is. Odd to say South has 18+ HCP when 1N limits him to 18 HCP, and odd to imply that he could have a club void (5- ).

But yes, 4 is a gross overbid.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-April-10, 23:17

View Postcloa513, on 2016-April-10, 19:09, said:

Its a team game who was West and what was he bidding on?

I suggest that absent any indication that it is impossible, you assume that the other players had their bids.
If for some reason you conclude that it is not possible for all other players to have their bids, then I suggest that you distrust the opponents before you distrust your partner. I realise that GIB is currently incapable of such a distinction, but that is I think a valid criticism of GIB worth repeating if and when it rears its head.

As it happens, on this hand I see no evidence to suggest that South, West or North lack their bids. South's 3C may be a bit outside GIB's sphere of expectations, but it was West that you questioned.

You risk falling into the same obsession of another forum member who has finally persuaded me, perhaps to the detriment of the enjoyment of other forum readers, to stick to posting just one of the four hands, the purpose of which is specifically to deter questions like what was West bidding on.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-April-10, 23:19

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-April-10, 19:59, said:

why isn't this doubled?

You can't score more than 100% v 0% in an MP event.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users