Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too ambitious to bid?

#1 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-10, 07:55

You're unfavourable in 4th seat playing IMPs, and it goes 2 weak, pass, pass to you:

If you bid, what do you bid?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-10, 15:26

I think my options are pass or a natural 2nt. I will try 2nt given east did not raise, risky.

#3 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 00:27

View Postmike777, on 2016-April-10, 15:26, said:

I think my options are pass or a natural 2nt. I will try 2nt given east did not raise, risky.

True - these seem like the main two options, and maybe pass is the common choice. Double is obviously going to lead to pard bidding 4 a lot.

Which games do you think you can make if any?
My first thought was how little I needed pard to have to make 5m (Qxxxx, an ace and a stiff for example).
Which bid gets you there, and leaves 3N in the picture?
I see a slightly obscure path: X, then if pard bids 4, bid 4. I'm convinced high level cues are best played as choice-of-games to find the right strain, which should be higher priority than slam try. Pard will hopefully figure out you would have passed 3NT, but are now offering both minors.

I like having that agreement for cue bids (strain is higher priority than slam try), not sure how common it is outside Australia. Does it seem obscure to others? Comes up a lot actually

#4 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 01:07

I think passing is too big a risk at V vs NV as partner only needs a few scattered values for game to be cold.

2NT feels like the best chance. With RHO not raising spades, there's a very good chance partner will bring a spade stopper.

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 02:33

X

I dont like it, but what else.

Over 3H, I have 3S, asking for a stopper, if partner does not have
one, I have still the possiblity, that silent praying helps.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-11, 05:11

Even if we give partner a spade stopper, a rather likely scenario here is for East to have a weak NT with a doubleton spade, something like:

One hand obviously proves nothing but the dangers of unilaterally forcing to game seem to me to be too great. If we do double and hear 3, it would not surprise me if pass came above 3 in a simulation. But I think 2NT would beat double in practise most of the time.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 06:16

I would probably bid 2NT, bad things can happen in many ways. I have extras to compensate no stopper, balancing position and no hearts. Partner could have 7-8 good ones too. Opponents didn't raise, maybe the spades aren't too strong. Where ever we land, we land with confidence - the next time as I probably had a longish think.
X is murky. If partner doesn't bid hearts, I am very happy. I pass, if partner bids hearts, and probably have to excuse myself from the table. I don't think I should make any effort to find 4-2 heart fit, which we avoid easily after 2NT or pass.
Pass is a bit negative, but if you don't see a stopper or hearts what can you do. 3minor is not totally outrageous from a balancing position, but I don't see myself doing it.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-11, 08:39

2N for me. In tempo. I would never pass with a 17 in the balance seat vul after a weak 2.

Lots of good things can happen. Partner has a stop. The suit blocks. But what rates to happen more these days is they stay off the spade lead altogether.

Double makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'd rather overcall 3C.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 08:53

This is a REALLY bad good hand.

1. Double is out as my partner will always bid a 4-card heart suit over a 5 card minor and a 3 spade bid doesn't appeal as per 2.

2. 2nt may find partner with a spade stop but with that entry disappearing at trick 1 finding 2 more winners over there and getting to them in time is too big a parlay for me.

So I'm in for the ugly 3 which may be a silly contract if partner has 3 spades, short(ish) clubs and is too broke to move but if they can bid or fit clubs I'll be fine.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users