BBO Discussion Forums: 3-card game invite - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3-card game invite which hand is better?

Poll: 3-card game invite (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Partner opens 1H. With xx KJx QTxx KTxx do you make a game try?

1. 2H = Constructive NF (17 votes [94.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 94.44%

2. 2N = High card limit raise to 3H (or slam try). (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Other (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Partner opens 1S. With Axx Jxxx Qx KJxx do you make a game try?

1. 2S = Constructive NF (8 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. 2N = High card limit raise to 3S (or slam try). (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. Other (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-April-06, 19:42

Imps. Precision. Do you raise to 2 or make a game try? (1N would not be forcing)
Teams. Precision. Do you raise to 2 or make a game-try. (1N would not be forcing)

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-07, 00:13

Personally I like having the good three-card raise at the 2-level. A raise to 2M then shows about 8--11 hcp. With less you have to bid the non-forcing NT. Another option is the put the 8--11 raise in the 2C or 2M-1 response, thus making the 2M raise "preemptive".

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-07, 00:41

1st hand i'd make a simple raise.

The second hand I would happily invite if I could stop at the 2 level (eg some 2C* art method).

Without that possibility, i'll try 1NT, planning to jump to 3S if partner can find another bid.

#4 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-April-07, 04:20

I second with Kungsgeten - t.i. Like to have a 9-11 2M raise as an option so I could use it on both hands. If I do not have such an option, then simple raise with the first one(although it is close to invite) with the second would invite more - and hate myself with 3S-1 - 1N-then 3S plan is good as well if it is an option.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 08:16

both seem to fall into my 8 plus to 11 minus constructive 2M range. See no reason to proceed perilously to the 3 level since both hand require opener to be neat the top of a min or better opener for game to make. If p cannot move over my 2M we should be happy there and maybe some trigger happy opp will try something funny rather then consider going -110.

#6 User is offline   Trick13 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 17:53

Playing transfer responses to our Precision openers we have no less than 18 distinct ways to raise partner (which is probably a tad more than we need). These hands both fall into the simple 9-11 constructive raise (no shortage, not a prime 10-11 4-card support), although we might go via 2C to show something in clubs as well (if we weren't concerned about competition). After 1M - 2M, three way game tries.

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 18:11

I don't know much about Precision, but given the question as stated would bid 2 on the first and, if these options make any sense, bid 1N on the second, planning to defer my decision. If P passes I expect 1N will play well enough. If he rebids 2M, I'll raise (assuming this is actually an invitation), over 2 I'll bid a wimpy 2, and over 2 I'll bid 3.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 15:08

View Postgszes, on 2016-April-09, 08:16, said:

both seem to fall into my 8 plus to 11 minus constructive 2M range. See no reason to proceed perilously to the 3 level since both hand require opener to be tippy or slightly above a minimum opener for game to make. If p cannot move over my 2M we should be happy there and maybe some trigger happy opp will try something funny rather then consider going -110.

Both seem to fall within my normal 7-10 range for constructive raise. The second hand is a real pile of junk compared with the high card point count.

View PostJinksy, on 2016-April-09, 18:11, said:

I don't know much about Precision, but given the question as stated would bid 2 on the first and, if these options make any sense, bid 1N on the second, planning to defer my decision. If P passes I expect 1N will play well enough. If he rebids 2M, I'll raise (assuming this is actually an invitation), over 2 I'll bid a wimpy 2, and over 2 I'll bid 3.

Bidding 1NT followed by 2 on the second hand is extremely wimpy if you will bid the same way with a 6-count and a doubleton spade. In some of the Precision textbooks these hands used to pass the 1 opener, but this practice is not always followed these days.

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-April-11, 16:44

Idk. The first one is a 9-count so it's not an invite. The second is an 11- count (an ugly one I know) so it is an invite, although I'd like to bid it via 1NT. I won't stretch too much on 8-9 counts unless they actually have shape, not some stupid doubleton. I have tried not inviting on 11's but it always feels pretentious and I don't think I gained anything other than inner expert points. I don't think Precision or no Precision makes too much of a difference either unless we specifically agreed to do some sort of 8-11 raise.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-April-11, 17:11

Textbook precision is 7+ - 10 for a simple raise. The first hand is a simple raise. The second hand is 11- and a 9-loser. Simple raise too.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#11 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 22:56

How standard is 2NT = limit raise or slam try among Precision players these day?. It should be. There is a fairly wide range of game but no slam hands where it if best for responder to just raise to 4M. What is 3M here--limit raise equivalent strength, but with more shape and fewer high cards?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users