• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another suit combination

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-05, 18:18

I was reviewing the hands I played today and found something I completelly missed at the table:

Playing in the somewhat inferior contract of 4 I got the 7 lead which I won in hand, the I played J which held, and was surprised when I played next spade and LHO played K while RHO played 8. This was just another of my late stories of guessing who made the bizarre move, but that's another story.

I found nothing better than drawing another round of trumps finding the friendly split, and then I run J losing to K and scoring 450 as everyone else in 4.

I cursed for my bad luck of clubs splitting badly but after reviewing I started to think: Shouldn't west cover J with practically every heart holding except Kxxx?. Obviously this assumes West has more skill than she actually had, but against a decent player, shouldn't I had played for stiff K rather?

Curiously, playing for the drop would had been a no brainer if they didn't give me the free spade trick as I would be behind the field.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-06, 06:30

I see nothing in the bidding to indicate the heart J cannot be a singleton. Lho has no logical reason to cover. In your spade contract and knowing you have at most 1 trump left covering
(with say K84) might allow declarer to bring the heart suit home by smothering your 8 with the 9 on the 3rd round of hearts and declarer having even 2 hearts makes any Kxx holding dead anyway so covering is pretty much never right.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users