BBO Discussion Forums: Make 4H - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Make 4H Imps

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-April-05, 14:27

Defence kick off with Ace then King of spades, North following with the 3 and 2 (high encourage), and on trick three insta switch to the 2 of clubs. Plan the play.

For NB

Thanks

Eagles

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 02:08

Why the hell are they gently setting up dummy's S instead of putting me at a guess on C at trick 2? And with what N is encouraging (if he has a diubleton that leaves AK 6th with S who remained silent).

Not sure it is so N/B a hand!

Actually I have now more losing options than a direct C switch at trick 2 (fwiw, I'd have let it run to the CQ to see if I have C losers or not, to decide whether I play H safe or try for no losers):
- go up with A, cash HA and SQ to discard a C
- same w/o cashing HA
- same play as with a direct C switch

I'd try option 1 and congratulate S who owns SAK, HKJT and CK for his clever play.

Last option: I completely missed the point and all this thought process I had is completely ridiculous.

#3 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-09, 08:15

Does south really have S AKxxxx and didn't make a weak two? I can't make heads or tail out of north carding. Doesn't have a high card. If he has 4 cards, he'd have higher spots to signal with. S doesn't have SAK HKJT CK because he is a passed hand. Anyway , I'll try option one. Then I come to my hand with a diamond to lead heart to the queen. If the trumps are 2-2 I'm home and if S has H Kxx he can't have the king of clubs so I take the ruffing finnesse in clubs to throw a diamond.

#4 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 09:24

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-April-09, 08:15, said:

Does south really have S AKxxxx and didn't make a weak two? I can't make heads or tail out of north carding...

Perhaps North has 4 spades and is trying to discourage and show count at the same time. (I agree it is a potential recipe for confusion in this forum at least)
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#5 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 10:02

Maybe north with four spades wants to encourage and then the two is suit preference for clubs. Of course north has a higher spade than the three but "the six might be valuable". Always make your signals as confusing as possible and then blame partner. Another theory is north is a robot that plays his spot cards at random. Or one of my many partners who doesn't think there's a difference between the three and the two. Following Lawrence "dynamic defense", north with spade 5432 can play 5 then 4 to ask for a diamond shift and 5 then 2 to ask for a club shift. North can play the 2 on trick one to ask for an immediate shift but can't specify suit.

#6 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2016-April-10, 14:25

Nice problem. Not sure it is at the beginner’s level though- but what do I know?
My solution: Play A♣, Q♠ discarding remaining ♣. Then, A♥ just in case singleton offside, up to A♦, ♥ to Q. If it loses to K offside there are none left so claim. If K♥ onside comes up and another, then take a ruffing finesse of clubs.
Why?
South will not have a 6 card spade suit otherwise would have opened 2♠. So based on North’s peter he has four.
If South is leading from ♣Kx(x)2. Then North has 7 red cards and must hold the K♥ since South did not open the bidding. Then if you finesse the club successfully it does not help you if you cannot avoid losing 2 heart tricks. The only distribution that will help you is when ♥ split 2-2.
If South is leading from a singleton, then he has 8 cards in the red suits and the most likely distribution is the 4351. Then North’s is 4135. Suppose North has the K♥. Then if you 1st play A♥, you will drop the singleton King and then just concede 1 heart trick to make the contract. If you do not play off the A♥ and instead finesse, then you go off. If South has ♥Kxx, then have to concede just 1 heart trick whether or not you play off the ace or finesse.
I assume the point of the problem is to try and read the opps hands from their bidding (lack of) and play of 1st 3 cards and play accordingly.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-10, 16:57

My thoughts: North doesn't want a club switch (he would unambiguously discourage in spades). So north doesn't have the king of clubs. Take the standard club finesse instead of the ruffing finesse.

If north doesn't have the king of clubs, he must have the king of hearts. So try and drop it singleton.

If this is the answer, it is tough for N/B.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users